Louisiana Tech (1/3/19)

CMJ

26 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

quick assessment:

- that is what conference basketball games will look like. 
- stop with the ref bitching. that was a very well-called game
- weirdest and hopefully worst game by Woolridge this season. I also for the life of me can't figure out what's up with his shot. 
- thinking LT watched the Rice tape and saw Rose was finding his range and keyed on him. He's far from lock-down defender and Grant played match-ups. that we have that depth/versatility on the wing is impressive
- Zach's development into a (very) poor-man's Duncan his so incredibly impressive. 
- I really liked the Arikawe usage tonight. he can bring a lot defensively and Grant patterned him in well tonight. 

and lastly...

- the Draper 3 followed immediately by the most in and subsequently out 3-pointer I think I've ever seen was the difference. 

Good assessment, don't understand the hate for this post...unless it's by people who think we should only play the tallest players on our team because that's "how you basketball".

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

What do you think was up with Smart sitting for the end of the game?

match-ups. They clearly keyed in on Smart on our offensive end and he doesn't bring Miller's grit or Gibson/Draper's quickness on the defensive end...the latter being what Grant felt would better contain Bracey (kid can play). 

this is something I really like about this squad...it seems to be truly a team with few egos. 6 guys average double-figures is a great talking-point...seems like we're balanced and the ball is well-shared...but in reality what it's been more is one guy stepping up if/when others are off/taken out of the game. 

tonight Zach had a night and Duffy knocked down some big shots. now watch Rose drop 30 and Ryan grab a triple-double against USM. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, meangreenacct said:

Good assessment, don't understand the hate for this post...unless it's by people who think we should only play the tallest players on our team because that's "how you basketball".

+1Ray

people also don't like that I'm smarter than them. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

7 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

match-ups. They clearly keyed in on Smart on our offensive end and he doesn't bring Miller's grit or Gibson/Draper's quickness on the defensive end...the latter being what Grant felt would better contain Bracey (kid can play). 

this is something I really like about this squad...it seems to be truly a team with few egos. 6 guys average double-figures is a great talking-point...seems like we're balanced and the ball is well-shared...but in reality what it's been more is one guy stepping up if/when others are off/taken out of the game. 

tonight Zach had a night and Duffy knocked down some big shots. now watch Rose drop 30 and Ryan grab a triple-double against USM. 

Miller was close to averaging double digits, did he get it tonight? If so, that is already a pretty crazy stat that I heard during the last game.

NT is the only squad in the nation with that many players averaging in double digits. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Miller was close to averaging double digits, did he get it tonight? If so, that is already a pretty crazy stat that I heard during the last game.

NT is the only squad in the nation with that many players averaging in double digits. 

I think Duffy dipped under last game which left us with 5 guys averaging double digits. Not sure how tonight affected it. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

Is Miller the only one that can drive with authority to the hoop? If so why not spred the floor and give him more opportunities?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

quick assessment:

- that is what conference basketball games will look like. 
- stop with the ref bitching. that was a very well-called game
- weirdest and hopefully worst game by Woolridge this season. I also for the life of me can't figure out what's up with his shot. 
- thinking LT watched the Rice tape and saw Rose was finding his range and keyed on him. He's far from lock-down defender and Grant played match-ups. that we have that depth/versatility on the wing is impressive
- Zach's development into a (very) poor-man's Duncan his so incredibly impressive. 
- I really liked the Arikawe usage tonight. he can bring a lot defensively and Grant patterned him in well tonight. 

and lastly...

- the Draper 3 followed immediately by the most in and subsequently out 3-pointer I think I've ever seen was the difference. 

It's hard to disagree with any of this assessment.  I think we need to give a lot of credit to Louisiana Tech.  With a shallow bench, they identified a couple matchup advantages and exploited them repeatedly until they were back in the game.  They looked to me like the better team for large stretches of the second half.  Still, if we have the kind of team that can close out tough games against the other CUSA contenders, then we are in good shape.  

14-1 is a hell of an accomplishment.  Going from where we were a couple years ago to the best start in school history is almost unfathomable.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Not true. This was as of games through yesterday, like it says at the top. We fell 4 spots because of the outcomes of the Wednesday games. We were hurt notably by Indiana State getting massacred and falling 30 spots.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Thanks 1

This game very well may have been won by the home court advantage.

La Tech had a lot to do with it, but Woolridge probably had his worst game of the year.  Smart was ineffective and Gibson scoreless.

Zack is improving every game.  The two seniors, Miller and Duffy were the small difference. 

La Tech depends too much on one player Bracy, but they nearly got the upset.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

It doesn't update until the morning. 

Why did we drop 4 since this morning? Im assuming other teams win/loss bumped us.  I refresh this about every 2 hours that I’m awake haha. I don’t want to lose the link haha.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why did we drop 4 since this morning? Im assuming other teams win/loss bumped us.  I refresh this about every 2 hours that I’m awake haha. I don’t want to lose the link haha.

When you looked at it this morning it must have still been only counting games through January 1st.

Edited by BillySee58

15 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

When you looked at it this morning it must have still been only counting games through January 1st.

Possibly. We are in mountain time and the baby got up extra early. Maybe that affected it haha. I’m just waiting for the day I can see us ahead of San Francisco. Every time they seem to be 2-5 spots ahead.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

We have the talent to beat most teams in our conference, it's just a lot of little things... little things that add up and will eventually cost us a game. Two consecutive bad turnovers when we had just started getting momentum again up 7... Ryan missing three straight FTs at the end (he missed four or five straight against UTA, too)... not getting back on defense after missed shots or turnovers...

Refs overall weren't bad but it seemed like all of our drives resulted in charges, while any time we made contact in the paint on their drives: blocking foul.

Like another mentioned before, once we got that lead and missed a few shots, it looked like we got a little tentative with our shots. LA Tech blocked five shots in the first half and several more in the second. A lot of those shots we gently put up putting the Bulldogs in easy position to block. There were also a few instances where our guys were passive in getting to a rebound, like they were letting the other get it. I'd rather teammates fight for the rebound than letting it hit the court and into the hands of that pipsqueak #4 Bracey.

Great crowd though! I remember my first game as a student, the crowd was closer to what the upper deck looked like!

• Upvote 1