Louisiana Tech (1/3/19)

CMJ

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

Possibly. We are in mountain time and the baby got up extra early. Maybe that affected it haha. I’m just waiting for the day I can see us ahead of San Francisco. Every time they seem to be 2-5 spots ahead.

Not possibly. These rankings update exactly one time per day. If you saw us at 38 yesterday then that was before it had the rankings updated for games through January 2nd. 

If you look at them right now then it will still say it has last been updated for games through January 2nd. Later it will update for games through January 3rd, and that will be the last and only time it updates today.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

25 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

This was the best part for me.  Took about a year for that Benford hangover to clear, but we’re back to JJ era attendance.  Shocked at the size of that crowd for a non-P5 school during winter break.  Great sign of the changing times at UNT and Denton.

Also, LaTech is starting more and more to feel like a rival.  A rivalry I can actually stomach (unlike the forced nutsack one).  

19 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

wait until the students get back to school....it's going to be even more impressive

It really was a good crowd. In my opinion the pit's size tends to swallow the crowd and make it feel smaller, but it was loud and raucous all the same.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Is Miller the only one that can drive with authority to the hoop? If so why not spred the floor and give him more opportunities?

Wool ridge just needs to be stronger in the air.  Think he flops some trying to get calls.  I’d like to see more Jahmiah Simmons.  He plays well in the minutes he gets and can finish well around the rim.  Really like him and Miller on floor together but it seems like McCasland likes alternating them during the game as they both offer similar ability defensively. I think Miller shoots it a little better from deep,.  

Oh and Miller is dirty when he gets to the rim because he can finish with either hand and the defender doesn’t know which one he is going to use.  He caught me a few times last night looked like he was going to use his right then switched to his left when he knew it was going to get blocked.

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

It really was a good crowd. In my opinion the pit's size tends to swallow the crowd and make it feel smaller, but it was loud and raucous all the same.

You know what else bothers me, our cheerleaders didn’t start a defense chant until 12 minutes left in the game.  And every timeout instead of continuing to keep crowd energy up it seemed as though our own in game people killed the crowd.  Granted the crap play for the last 5 minutes of 1st half and first 12 minutes of the 2nd half didn’t help either but man those are the times you bring your A game as the entertainer crowd hype people etc.  Would love to see that part of the game experience improve. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh yea...I forgot something in my assessment...

if you're gonna be a snowflake ass-mutha-effa and try to -1 my basketball hot sports takes without actually replying to any of them...well...you should probably just go Michael Hutchence/Brian Wells/Thich Quang Duc yourself, because UNT basketball is back and I'm locked in. 

bitches. 

The One Thing I take from the Afterglow of this win is CBL's takes are What You Need and Benford ball / spare -1 olds will Never Tear Us Apart. Don't let The Gift be Elegantly Wasted - Mediate your problems via PM if you have to, because the dude knows his hot hoops. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

My hot take

• If Ryan could finish at the rim he'd be a NBA 1st rounder. But this was his worst game maybe of the season. And the weird lip cut or whatever cost us 4 points at a critical time while he worried about it once just handing the ball away. He'll bounce back.
  • Z. Simmons is really improving fast. I like @Censored by Laurie very poor man Duncans comparison.
  • Mike Miller was the MVP last night I thought. Some great defense, and making big plays.
  • La. Tech with a decent post player would be Oklahoma.
  • Draper 3 was huge. Was glad to see him confidently take it after missing a couple of possessions before.
  • It's fun to watch a coach who knows what he is doing. Smart was not helping and he got sat. Wise decision. And even though Gibson wasn't helping on offense he was on defense. Sat Woolridge at end after he was missing FTs.
  • Considering we are a guard heavy team who can bury teams with threes, we basically went nearly 30 minutes without one until the Draper shot and  still won.
  • The size of the crowd for a weekday, schools on holiday break, early January game was surprisingly big. Marketing and a good record for the win.
  • It's easy to forget we were a .500 team last year that tanked at the end of the season.
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

My hot take

• If Ryan could finish at the rim he'd be a NBA 1st rounder. But this was his worst game maybe of the season. And the weird lip cut or whatever cost us 4 points at a critical time while he worried about it once just handing the ball away. He'll bounce back.
  • Z. Simmons is really improving fast. I like @Censored by Laurie very poor man Duncans comparison.
  • Mike Miller was the MVP last night I thought. Some great defense, and making big plays.
  • La. Tech with a decent post player would be Oklahoma.
  • Draper 3 was huge. Was glad to see him confidently take it after missing a couple of possessions before.
  • It's fun to watch a coach who knows what he is doing. Smart was not helping and he got sat. Wise decision. And even though Gibson wasn't helping on offense he was on defense. Sat Woolridge at end after he was missing FTs.
  • Considering we are a guard heavy team who can bury teams with threes, we basically went nearly 30 minutes without one until the Draper shot and  still won.
  • The size of the crowd for a weekday, schools on holiday break, early January game was surprisingly big. Marketing and a good record for the win.
  • It's easy to forget we were a .500 team last year that tanked at the end of the season.

I really like Miller. He can drive to the basket hard or hit his pull up jumper. The three’s need to start hitting otherwise just zone us up! GMG 

3 hours ago, Quoner said:

The One Thing I take from the Afterglow of this win is CBL's takes are What You Need and Benford ball / spare -1 olds will Never Tear Us Apart. Don't let The Gift be Elegantly Wasted - Mediate your problems via PM if you have to, because the dude knows his hot hoops. 

I think he was telling us to become a Suicide Blonde 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I listen on my car radio when I driving home from the game.  The games are usually on 88.1.

Women Bball are solely on 88.1 so when both the men and women play at the same time, 88.1 has the women's game and 95.3 has the men.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You know what else bothers me, our cheerleaders didn’t start a defense chant until 12 minutes left in the game.  And every timeout instead of continuing to keep crowd energy up it seemed as though our own in game people killed the crowd.  Granted the crap play for the last 5 minutes of 1st half and first 12 minutes of the 2nd half didn’t help either but man those are the times you bring your A game as the entertainer crowd hype people etc.  Would love to see that part of the game experience improve. 

This.  It’s amazing how it is we can’t seem to solve this issue.  

Rick

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Quoner said:

I'm Just a Man

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

This.  It’s amazing how it is we can’t seem to solve this issue.  

Rick

I am working up an email to Wren as we speak.  I have always gotten a response from him whether the issues were addressed or not he has acknowledged the things I had to say.  I'll let ya know what I hear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1