WKU beats #15 Wisconsin

CMJ

It was a good day. It also came a bit late. C-USA would have needed more of those days during OOC in order to position itself to become a 2 bid league.

WKU in particular had the right schedule but also missed out on many opportunities to make the conference look better (home loss to troy, away loss to Belmont and several others), which is annoying, given that everyone thought they'd be the C-USA standard bearer this season. If they'd be 10-3 instead of 7-6 folks would think they'd be on pace for an at-large.

As it is, we can only hope that the conferences schedule trick at the end of the season does something. But I fear the conferences top teams didn't do well enough in OOC for it to really matter.

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

It was a good day. It also came a bit late. C-USA would have needed more of those days during OOC in order to position itself to become a 2 bid league.

WKU in particular had the right schedule but also missed out on many opportunities to make the conference look better (home loss to troy, away loss to Belmont and several others), which is annoying, given that everyone thought they'd be the C-USA standard bearer this season. If they'd be 10-3 instead of 7-6 folks would think they'd be on pace for an at-large.

As it is, we can only hope that the conferences schedule trick at the end of the season does something. But I fear the conferences top teams didn't do well enough in OOC for it to really matter.

You’re right in that CUSA might have lost its chance to be a true two-bid league. In a true two-bid league, either of the top two teams could win the tournament and the other would still be in. Maybe a third team could win it and get three in.

We don’t have that. However, we still have a chance to be in position for an at-large bid, and wins like these for the conference help us there. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

17 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

What is the least amount of losses we can afford (besides the championship game) do we think would give us a chance at an at large bid?  (i know that depends on where the loss occurs and to who, but just blanket talk here).

1 i would guess.  Would 32-3 get us in?  maybe 31-4?

My guess is we would get in at 32-3 if we lost to say ODU and WKU.  At 31-4 this season -- the league wasn't strong enough OOC and our SOS isn't very high for it to be a lock.  I mean maybe we could. 

Once we get in the 30-5 and 29-6 range, I certainly don't think we get in.  Not this season.  

Its not crazy. Yes the midmajors get hosed by the committee, but the margin of error being this ridiculously small is on NT (not the players mind you).

The OOC schedule was sadly enough ridiculously easy for a team that might have the quality to be an at-large. NT may be 13-1, but hasn't beaten any team that has you thinking: "well that is likely an at-large tournament team". That is not the players fault, its the fault of whoever is responsible for the OOC schedule. This is not football. There are ways to schedule so you can get in with a 29-6 as a C-USA team, but the AD/coach failed to put such a schedule together, a schedule that gives your team opportunities to get quality (I.e. tier one) wins. This team essentially only had one team that looks tournament bound on the schedule: OU on the road.

Edited by outoftown
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Its not crazy. Yes the midmajors get hosed by the committee, but the margin of error being this ridiculously small is on NT (not the players mind you).

The OOC schedule was sadly enough ridiculously easy for a team that might have the quality to be an at-large. NT may be 13-1, but hasn't beaten any team that has you thinking: "well that is likely an at-large tournament team". That is not the players fault, its the fault of whoever is responsible for the OOC schedule. This is not football. There are ways to schedule so you can get in with a 29-6 as a C-USA team, but the AD/coach failed to put such a schedule together, a schedule that gives your team opportunities to get quality (I.e. tier one) wins. This team essentially only had one team that looks tournament bound on the schedule: OU on the road.

I think the NET might make it easier for us to get some good opponents to Denton. The NET has shown that winning any road game period is a big plus. So programs who might have previously seen playing mid-majors on the road as a high-risk, low-reward proposition may see it as the opposite now. Baker should take advantage of this and get some High-Major home and homes scheduled like he did with football.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

no one "failed" to put together an at-large bid caliber schedule.

one wasn't put together because it wasn't what this team...and more importantly, what this program...needed. 

the CBI run was great, but people so readily seem to forget that last season's team was under .500 in conference and overall and lost 7 of it's 8 last games before the tournament run. and even without the CBI, one could easily say all that was a great first year accomplishment.

this schedule was clearly pieced together to continue to capitalize and build on that momentum...wins are what this team need for confidence and what this fanbase needs to get re-energized for quality basketball. 

I like a lot of what I've seen this season. that said, if we drop say Commerce, Maine, UMES and Pine Bluff and add resume builders...say, TCU, SMU, Wichita State and a CBI rematch with San Francisco, I think there's a decent chance we're 9-5 and not having this conversation. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I like a lot of what I've seen this season. that said, if we drop say Commerce, Maine, UMES and Pine Bluff and add resume builders...say, TCU, SMU, Wichita State and a CBI rematch with San Francisco, I think there's a decent chance we're 9-5 and not having this conversation. 

I get that there is indeed a realistic chance that the team might indeed have lost a number of resume builders. However there might have also been at least a chance that the team might have set itself up for an at-large. With this schedule there was next to zero chance. This schedule said "we don't believe".

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Obviously the NCAA tournament is the goal, but I would love to enter the CUSA tournament with a regular season title and NIT bid wrapped up.

That's something I'm hoping for too.  I would say we're in the mix with LA Tech, WKU, and ODU.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2018 at 7:36 AM, GreenN'walinsVet said:

What is the least amount of losses we can afford (besides the championship game) do we think would give us a chance at an at large bid?  (i know that depends on where the loss occurs and to who, but just blanket talk here).

1 i would guess.  Would 32-3 get us in?  maybe 31-4?

St Mary's went 28-5 one year and didn't get in. Had a similar record the year before, snubbed then too. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, dahbeed said:

That was a big win for us Saturday.  I wasn’t surprised.  This group has shown they can play pretty well when they’re up for a game.  But then can lay down when they’re not.  It’s what comes with being so young and inexperienced. 

We’re #334 out of 353 teams experience wise.  But there is talent.  No true point god killed us early.  I think we’ve found one in 6’8 Dalano Banton.  Everyone knew about Bassey but Banton was a top 100 recruit as well.  He truly looks pass first and at 6’8 sees the floor really well out front.  Still screws up but he’s a freshman.

We could easily lose at Charlotte tomorrow night and then get up of ODU and pull off the upset at their place Saturday. We had people losing their mind when we lost to Mo State and Indiana State and Troy.  I didn’t like it but didn’t lose my mind a bit.  I knew what we’d be like early this year.  We can be really really good when we’re dialed in.  When we don’t come ready to play we can lose just like anyone else.  

Bassey has outplayed every ‘name’ big he’s gone against.  Our guys still have a problem getting him the ball.  I enjoyed the hell out of our NIT run last year. I’m enjoying the process this year.   

Josh Anderson is a matchup nightmare.  We didn’t get him until around game 20 last year due to eligibility issues but he’s getting better and better every night out.  I rewatched the Wisconsin game as I had taped it.  It was no upset.  Go watch the Arkansas game too.  Our talent is as good as theirs.  They just need to learn to play as a team.  The Wiscy game was probably the most unselfish I’ve seen us play this year.

Btw, congrats on the great start.  I know the Mean Green fans love their hoops and deserve a winner after the pain of the last several years.  

always good to have you back around. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, dahbeed said:

That was a big win for us Saturday.  I wasn’t surprised.  This group has shown they can play pretty well when they’re up for a game.  But then can lay down when they’re not.  It’s what comes with being so young and inexperienced. 

We’re #334 out of 353 teams experience wise.  But there is talent.  No true point god killed us early.  I think we’ve found one in 6’8 Dalano Banton.  Everyone knew about Bassey but Banton was a top 100 recruit as well.  He truly looks pass first and at 6’8 sees the floor really well out front.  Still screws up but he’s a freshman.

We could easily lose at Charlotte tomorrow night and then get up of ODU and pull off the upset at their place Saturday. We had people losing their mind when we lost to Mo State and Indiana State and Troy.  I didn’t like it but didn’t lose my mind a bit.  I knew what we’d be like early this year.  We can be really really good when we’re dialed in.  When we don’t come ready to play we can lose just like anyone else.  

Bassey has outplayed every ‘name’ big he’s gone against.  Our guys still have a problem getting him the ball.  I enjoyed the hell out of our NIT run last year. I’m enjoying the process this year.   

Josh Anderson is a matchup nightmare.  We didn’t get him until around game 20 last year due to eligibility issues but he’s getting better and better every night out.  I rewatched the Wisconsin game as I had taped it.  It was no upset.  Go watch the Arkansas game too.  Our talent is as good as theirs.  They just need to learn to play as a team.  The Wiscy game was probably the most unselfish I’ve seen us play this year.

Btw, congrats on the great start.  I know the Mean Green fans love their hoops and deserve a winner after the pain of the last several years.  

Anderson scares me most about our matchup with you guys.

• Thanks 1