Major Applewhite's job limbo reveals administrative clown show at Houston

meangreenlax

Maybe a different take on this but—

If the powers that be at IH have any inkling that Major is not working out than kudos to them for sniffing it out now and dealing with it now versus later when the hole is deeper.

I also get the sense that the lower level P5 programs are the ones making the biggest stink here.  They don’t like it that someone from G5 is competing with them with money and resources. 

I think Houston has to know holgerson is pretty much theirs.  That’s not a bad move and an upgrade in my opinion. Holgerson in Texas will be stout and all of a sudden that Houston game could get difficult again. 

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

Major is a better coach than I thought he would be. This season is not enough to can him unless you know you have an upgrade available. I mean I guess it could happen, see Cross at UTA, but it seems shortsighted if he is not in the bag. That is why I think holgerson is a done deal. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

And he is out!   Funny the cougar board keeps mentioning SL for a head coach.   So they fire Applewhite cause he gets blown out in bowl games and loses to teams he should be should beat.  I guess they have not followed us closely for the last few years.  However, we did beat Army and all our games were very close with them.   Here go the rumors now does anyone want to start the thread.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

And he is out!   Funny the cougar board keeps mentioning SL for a head coach.   So they fire Applewhite cause he gets blown out in bowl games and loses to teams he should be should beat.  I guess they have not followed us closely for the last few years.  However, we did beat Army and all our games were very close with them.   Here go the rumors now does anyone want to start the thread.

No, it would be a ridiculous thread to start.   Doubt the opportunity arises but how would Mean Green fans feel about Major as the assistant OC/Quarterbacks here?  Think he would a good recruiting asset. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

No, it would be a ridiculous thread to start.   Doubt the opportunity arises but how would Mean Green fans feel about Major as the assistant OC/Quarterbacks here?  Think he would a good recruiting asset. 

In would not be a fan. I didn't think too much of MA even as a coordinator. I always thought he was carried mostly by the folks around him.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

If the standard is higher than 8 wins, I fail to see the logic in hiring a coach who only surpassed that total twice in 8 years at WVU. 

Good point.  I think the best move would have been keeping Major unless you already had a bigger name than the ones in the rumor mill today on standby.   Hell even Les Miles.

• Upvote 2