• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
El Paso Eagle

Something I really dislike

Watching the start the Michigan Florida game. Story about michigan's all-American captain linebacker is sitting out the game to protect himself for the draft.  Call me old school but I really really dislike this. 

• Upvote 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 8
  • Downvote 3

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Watching the start the Michigan Florida game. Story about michigan's all-American captain linebacker is sitting out the game to protect himself for the draft.  Call me old school but I really really dislike this. 

Yah, pretty naive.  Bet if your kid or grandkid was a 1st or 2nd round grade and had guaranteed $$ on the table your tune would be a little different.  Seen too many kids that were those high grades get hurt playing in the potandteakettle bowl that meant nothing and lost everything.  If college football could figure out a way to expand to 16/32 team playoff then you’d see less of this IMO, but the pointless bowls will continue to produce guys that sit out because they don’t want to possibly impact a family changing amount of $.  

• Upvote 13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 8

So someone that doesn't share your opinion is naive? We can agree to disagree but also naive to believe that without the teams and the coaches these players would have been in position to be drafted either. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

I don't blame the kid. Play in a meaningless Peach Bowl that people will not remember with the risk of getting hurt, or sit out and protect your draft stock.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

Risk millions of dollars and your family's future on a exhibition game? No thanks. 

If people don't like it, then raise the stakes of these bowl games; create a real championship. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

Jaylon Smith changed my mind about this. These kids' have an opportunity to set their families up in perpetuity. That's a lot to risk for an exhibition.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope he has a good financial advisor, accountant, and attorney who are unrelated to him and each other.  Many times, a young, poorly-educated football player will surround himself with the wrong people off the field.  A court of law can't reimburse you for stolen money based on your 40 time.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On the other hand, an outstanding performance may increase their draft stock, and so much for the concept of team ball.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

These bowl games only help players that are on the fringe of getting drafted. If you’re a lock to get drafted especially in the first round then why risk it? There’s just too much money on the table to ignore. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, ihopehe said:

I hope he has a good financial advisor, accountant, and attorney who are unrelated to him and each other.  Many times, a young, poorly-educated football player will surround himself with the wrong people off the field.  A court of law can't reimburse you for stolen money based on your 40 time.

Did your brother play for the Las Vegas Outlaws by chance?

image.png.f2e60582252d2a9eec6fe19c5bb78b50.png

GMG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you were graduating with a degree and were guaranteed a job after graduation with a good salary, would you re-enroll for 3 more hours just for the heck of it?

Not quite the same thing, and I struggle with the letting down your team aspect, but a head coach would leave in a heartbeat to take advantage of more $ with less to lose.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, LongJim said:

If you were graduating with a degree and were guaranteed a job after graduation with a good salary, would you re-enroll for 3 more hours just for the heck of it?

Not quite the same thing, and I struggle with the letting down your team aspect, but a head coach would leave in a heartbeat to take advantage of more $ with less to lose.

Didn't Seth stay when he had a chance for "more"?

• Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Didn't Seth stay when he had a chance for "more"?

He’s already a millionaire whose current value isn’t dependent on top physical prowess. 

College players transitioning to the NFL have such a small window to make it happen. Even then, the average NFL career is like 2-3 years. Make your money while you can.

School spirit and all that is great, but at a certain point you have to make a business decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

That’s what makes that la tech monster so admirable. There was no keeping him off the field lighting up the rainbow warrior quarterback. Said it was one more opportunity to play with his brothers and get a W!  

Thats a warrior.  Playing the game for the honor and fame, wait, stop!  

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

3 minutes ago, NM Green said:

That’s what makes that la tech monster so admirable. There was no keeping him off the field lighting up the rainbow warrior quarterback. Said it was one more opportunity to play with his brothers and get a W!  

Thats a warrior.  Playing the game for the honor and fame, wait, stop!  

GMG

Maybe if more players in college and the pros had this type of "Team" attitude the numbers watching watching and attending games would not be dropping. Understand why some support this choice (and they have every right), but look over the past few years and see how the "Me" has taken the place of "We" and it seems to have a close correlation to the drops in ratings in attendance. 

• Upvote 7
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

IANAL...would it be legal to add a clause to scholarship agreements that says if the player voluntarily removes himself from the roster he would have to repay all or part of the scholarship? The university held up their end of the agreement. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

22 minutes ago, SSAACOIC said:

IANAL...would it be legal to add a clause to scholarship agreements that says if the player voluntarily removes himself from the roster he would have to repay all or part of the scholarship? The university held up their end of the agreement. 

You’re talking about pennies to these guys. It wouldn’t slow it down at all. The schools make so much money off of these kids that they don’t want to sound greedy by asking for tuition money back. And the NFL contracts are big enough that the kids wouldn’t think twice about it and would pay it out of their first check. 

53 minutes ago, SSAACOIC said:

That would be incredibly draconian, and to what end? Try telling the kid who wants to quit to move back in with family, or to escape a bad coaching relationship that he cant because he'd owe $40k in back tuition. That's just indentured servitude with free Jordan shoes and NCAA sanctioned spaghetti dinners (1 plate only though, the compliance officer is watching).

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

What kind of money stipend do NT players get? Just asking. I remember some years back Northwestern U players wanted to get some kind of compensation.