Something I really dislike

El Paso Eagle

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, GMG24 said:

Seen too many kids that were those high grades get hurt playing in the potandteakettle bowl that meant nothing and lost everything. 

Define "too many."  It's entirely possible that you are aware of many more players than me, but I only know of a couple who were injured and "lost everything."  Jaylen Smith certain lost some money that he'll probably never get back, but he's still doing okay.  

I guess part of my problem with kids sitting out games is:  Where does it end?  Or, when does the "I'm preparing for the draft" move up into November?  Are all bowl games besides the CFP meaningless?  What if an Alabama or Clemson player has a career ending injury next Monday and misses out on setting his family up for generations?  Will we then see players choose to sit out the "playoff" games? 

What are the odds of a player having a career ending injury in his final game?   I'd love to see that stat:  Total number of players who suffered a  major injury in their last college game.

• Upvote 5

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:37 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Maybe if more players in college and the pros had this type of "Team" attitude the numbers watching watching and attending games would not be dropping. Understand why some support this choice (and they have every right), but look over the past few years and see how the "Me" has taken the place of "We" and it seems to have a close correlation to the drops in ratings in attendance. 

Are you suggesting that the ol' "TEAM me" practice shirts are no longer a thing?😀

• Haha 2

I really like this kind of discussion and so I'm pulling out the AED on this thread.

• It's not an old school sentiment. But it's a sentiment of "you owe this school X when they've given you Y". They've already paid that due when they stepped on the football field for a few years.
  • The student athletes of the NCAA pull in over a billion dollars a year so they can distribute scholarships to other players. I think that's good enough.
  • The athlete has also put his body on the line (while the NCAA pres makes over a million), and potentially hurt their quality of life further on down the line. Is their college going pay for any CTE issues due to football in the future? Need money for that.
  • Also, hundreds of thousands of dollars are being put at your feet or even millions. I'm taking that. Thanks school for putting me in this position I promise I'll donate some back. Peace.
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I really like this kind of discussion and so I'm pulling out the AED on this thread.

• It's not an old school sentiment. But it's a sentiment of "you owe this school X when they've given you Y". They've already paid that due when they stepped on the football field for a few years.
  • The student athletes of the NCAA pull in over a billion dollars a year so they can distribute scholarships to other players. I think that's good enough.
  • The athlete has also put his body on the line (while the NCAA pres makes over a million), and potentially hurt their quality of life further on down the line. Is their college going pay for any CTE issues due to football in the future? Need money for that.
  • Also, hundreds of thousands of dollars are being put at your feet or even millions. I'm taking that. Thanks school for putting me in this position I promise I'll donate some back. Peace.

It's 1 game. 

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

1.  Have they?  How do you apply a dollar amount to what they do.  Maybe if they play for the likes of UT or Ohio State where they pull in $100 million in revenue, but not all schools make that much.

2.  Collectively.  Again, depending on the school they attend, this number could vary wildly.

3.  The CTE issue?  Studies show that there is much more to CTE than football.  https://sports.yahoo.com/im-brain-scientist-let-son-play-football-135727314.html

4.  Hard to argue with that.

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

1.  They earn a scholarship to play sports. The dollar amount is the scholarship amount in my argument.

2.  Yes collectively is my point. They all make the NCAA a billion dollars so they can give other athletes opportunities. They're giving back that way, too through their body.

3.  He doesn't dispute that CTE doesn't happen. It can happen in other sports as well. No one said it only happens in football. This equals risk. Any risk above zero for CTE (which has many unknowns involved) is enough risk.