Short Yardage Situations

TheReal_jayD

Agreed!  It would be another nice wrinkle that the defense would have to be aware of.  

"I want our offense to confuse and frustrate our opponent.  If you can get a football player on the football field and have him not know for sure what he is supposed to be doing, then you have created a big advantage."  Hank Stram,  KC Chiefs

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Wildcat. Sweep.  Any kind of misdirection. QB power under center.  Power I.  Fullbacks...anything would be better than what we usually do.

Rick

Agreed.   This was maddening.   We didn't have the line and our QB and RB, albeit very tough, they're small.    So if we cant have power, lets at least build up some speed before jumping on the On-Ramp. I would scream SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!" on these plays, but nope, always up the gut into a brick wall, rarely punching through...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Just SOME misdirection

Honestly I feel like they tried plays that were too slow in developing. I wanted a quick handoff to the RB instead of first faking the jet sweep looking and running a delayed handoff. The LBs were usually already in the backfield by then. Maybe a direct snap to the RB would have been more effective. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

I remember when we had Brelan we would run him around a lot during pre-snap to setup plays around the end, or make it look like we were about to.  Do we have anyone on our current roster with his speed?

Darden. Hair-Griffin.  

We ran that play early in the season successfully with Rico. 

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Honestly I feel like they tried plays that were too slow in developing. I wanted a quick handoff to the RB instead of first faking the jet sweep looking and running a delayed handoff. The LBs were usually already in the backfield by then. Maybe a direct snap to the RB would have been more effective. 

I saw a team the other day, can’t remember if it was HS or college that huddles 3 yards from the LOS, then the center turns and gets over the ball.  Suddenly....the other 10 players sprint into position and the QB under center takes the snap and went in all kinds of directions, running it, pitching it or throwing it.  Half the time when the ball was snapped many of the the defensemen was still standing up or moving around trying to figure where in hell the ball was going.

It was very affective.  Just something remotely close to this once in a while couldn’t hurt?l.

Rick

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I saw a team the other day, can’t remember if it was HS or college that huddles 3 yards from the LOS, then the center turns and gets over the ball.  Suddenly....the other 10 players sprint into position and the QB under center takes the snap and went in all kinds of directions, running it, pitching it or throwing it.  Half the time when the ball was snapped many of the the defensemen was still standing up or moving around trying to figure where in hell the ball was going.

It was very affective.  Just something remotely close to this once in a while couldn’t hurt?l.

Rick

Auburn under Malzahn has been doing the huddle for years. They call it a muddle huddle. 

We run too many power plays in these situations, almost exclusively. We can't do that. It's slow developing and leaves a hole unattended due to a pulling tkl or guard. The pulling lineman is also a huge key read for defenses. Also doesn't help we do it almost in all short yardage situations, so the D knows it's coming. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

Improving our short yardage game begins (or should begin) in a few weeks with our off season program. This is when our O-line gets bigger, stronger, and hopefully quicker. All the best mis-direction plays in the world are never going to work unless our O-line can get the jump on the guy in front of them. Or at the very least keep the defense out of the backfield while the play developes.

And the same applies to any back that is most likely to be the primary ball carrier in short yardage.