FRB Cancelled ?

Big Z

22 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

No kidding.  I'd be furious if I traveled all the way from Boston or Idaho.

Just the price of the bowl ticket (between $50 and $100 for a sideline ticket!) would have me hot under the collar.

Not a good luck for a bowl that is struggling for its existence.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

What kind of weather is going on there that would force cancellation of a bowl game?  And who made the call to cancel and not reschedule?

Lightning in the area is the only way a game is delayed. It was likely canceled due to extra costs for both teams to stay in hotels for another day plus having to reschedule all the travel. Rescheduling is a huge mess in this case.

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

Lightning in the area is the only way a game is delayed. It was likely canceled due to extra costs for both teams to stay in hotels for another day plus having to reschedule all the travel. Rescheduling is a huge mess in this case.

If it were just lightning, I would think they would wait it out.  Maybe schedule a restart in a couple hours.

Surely the schools didn't make the call to cancel this(?)  For all the costs they've already paid for the travel anyway, I would think both teams would want to make sure they got a bowl game out of the deal.

They could have worked this game in. This was ESPN's decision due television.  It was initially delayed due to lightning, and there was a cell that passed. They said that the game was canceled due to the forecast and pending storms. There was a window where they could have gotten a majority of the game in. I've been apologizing left and right to Boise State and B.C. fans letting them know this was ESPN's fault and not the Bowl or the City's decision. 

I just hope that this isn't the nail in the coffin for the bowl game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If it were just lightning, I would think they would wait it out.  Maybe schedule a restart in a couple hours.

Surely the schools didn't make the call to cancel this(?)  For all the costs they've already paid for the travel anyway, I would think both teams would want to make sure they got a bowl game out of the deal.

We are forecasted to have bad weather the remainder of the day. Sounds like waiting it out isn't an option.

Again, pushing the game back a day sounds easy until you factor in hotels and all other travel accommodations.

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

They could have worked this game in. This was ESPN's decision due television.  It was initially delayed due to lightning, and there was a cell that passed. They said that the game was canceled due to the forecast and pending storms. There was a window where they could have gotten a majority of the game in. I've been apologizing left and right to Boise State and B.C. fans letting them know this was ESPN's fault and not the Bowl or the City's decision. 

ESPN was carrying the game.  They are also carrying the 4:15 pm Quick Lane Bowl.  Their focus is definitely on the TV viewers and not the butts in seats (or UNT likely would have found its way into this bowl).  I'm betting that the butt pain of having to shift it to a different ESPN channel or just streaming it was more that the good ole boys at ESPN wanted to deal with.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UNT 90 Grad said:

ESPN was carrying the game.  They are also carrying the 4:15 pm Quick Lane Bowl.  Their focus is definitely on the TV viewers and not the buts in seats (or UNT likely would have found its way into this bowl).  I'm betting that the butt pain of having to shift it to a different ESPN channel or just streaming it was more that the good ole boys at ESPN wanted to deal with.

No doubt that was the driving force behind the decision. All about the TV viewers and advertising. Why would they give a damn about the actual fans who spent a shitload of money to come see their school play. 

It's no secret that DFW weather can be dicey. You know that, and you prepare. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

What window? They have to wait 30 minutes plus a 10 minute warm up to start after the last strike in a 10 mile radius. There’s been constant lightning in the area

• Upvote 1