Houston, You Have A Problem

Huff

22 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Mountaineer fans are pretty broken up over all this 😆

Dana can go run the whores and shoot some coke with the old mobster in low life scum fest Houston. Houston is a cess pool. U of Houston is loser job.”

https://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/houston-gets-a-terrible-coach-and-wvu-makes-money-and-gets-rid-of-terrible-dana-big-win-for-wvu.192739/

Careful. We don't want to send our resident cougardouches over to their fan board, now do we?  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

10 hours ago, CK2 said:

This is why you shouldn't run your mouth so soon.

Hey dude....take your victory lap. I said in a few posts later that I didn't know the back story. On the surface this looks like a ridiculous scenario. But great hire. 

I'm sure the UH fan board is excited but I've never been on your message board. Not real sure why you camp out over here so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

5. Time will tell if this is a successful hire or not, but my first inclination is that this really doesn't move the needle. Will Holgorsen's system attract the talent to create the kind of success they desire. 

It depends on where you see the needle--if you are talking about the peak they reached under Herman, when they finished with a top 10 ranking, maybe not.  But there are only a few coaches out there capable of remotely sustaining that kind of success at Houston, and Holgorsen is one of them.

And his system will absolutely attract talent.  It is remarkable that he was able to field competitive teams in a geographic area where Air Raid offenses are unheard of.  Now he will be right in the middle of talent perfectly suited for it.

Hiring a currently successful head coach away from a P5 program is rare for a G5, if not completely unheard of.

By most measures, "moving the needle" doesn't do justice to this hire.  It is earth-shattering.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 3

20 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It depends on where you see the needle--if you are talking about the peak they reached under Herman, when they finished with a top 10 ranking, maybe not.  But there are only a few coaches out there capable of remotely sustaining that kind of success at Houston, and Holgorsen is one of them.

And his system will absolutely attract talent.  It is remarkable that he was able to field competitive teams in a geographic area where Air Raid offenses are unheard of.  Now he will be right in the middle of talent perfectly suited for it.

Hiring a currently successful head coach away from a P5 program is rare for a G5, if not completely unheard of.

By most measures, "moving the needle" doesn't do justice to this hire.  It is earth-shattering.

Hmmm, and I would have summed all of that up with a simple “meh”

If Seth had left at season’s end and we went and got Bobby Petrino before Louisville could fire him, and threw FAR more money at him than anyone else was even thinking of offering, would you have called it “earth shattering”?   (Totally ignoring that when Lamar Jackson left he tanked)  

He was a P5 coach after all...

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Hmmm, and I would have summed all of that up with a simple “meh”

If Seth had left at season’s end and we went and got Bobby Petrino before Louisville could fire him, and threw FAR more money at him than anyone else was even thinking of offering, would you have called it “earth shattering”?   (Totally ignoring that when Lamar Jackson left he tanked)  

A key difference would be the "currently successful" I mentioned.  Bobby Petrino has fallen far from the lofty perch he once held.  Dana Holgorsen is presently one of the best coaches in the country.

So I don't see that as a valid comparison.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Look, I like WVU, but to call Holgorsen "currently successful" is a stretch. 

Let's be crystal clear here, if Holgorsen and WVU weren't dissatisfied with each other, this wouldn't have happened. 

I agree with your second statement.  But WVU's dissatisfaction has far more to do with his sniffing after other job opportunities than his teams' performances.  WVU in the B12 is a hard place to win, and Holgorsen has had one of the better teams in that conference most years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

A key difference would be the "currently successful" I mentioned.  Bobby Petrino has fallen far from the lofty perch he once held.  Dana Holgorsen is presently one of the best coaches in the country.

So I don't see that as a valid comparison.

Define “best coaches in the country.”  

Is top 20 good enough?  Because he’s not better than Saban, Dabo, Herman, Riley, Smart, Jimbo, Peterson, Patterson, Richt, Dantonio, Shaw, Franklin, Gundy, Harbaugh, Chryst, Ferentz, Whittingham, Leach, Whittingham...arguably Frost or Miles.

Hell, on second thought, he may not even be Top 20

UH is trading on margin here. $4m/year is ridiculous and unsustainable for a G5 program unless you are sure it will result in performance that will catapult you to the next level. Dana Holgorsen is a decent coach. But in my opinion, he didn't do anything spectacular at WV other than convince kids that living in the worst state in the country was worth a scholarship. So they fired their coach after an 8 win season to hire a more expensive guy who seems to get a lot of 8 win seasons. K. 

I think all they've done is inflated the G5 salary market, and this worries me. North Texas might have the institutional willpower to pull off upper G5 salaries, but that's only a guess on my part.How much is SL going to want if he sticks around a few more years?

With that said, none of the P5's conferences really impressed with the clown show Coog High has put on. Good work guys. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Define “best coaches in the country.”  

Able to maximize on the field performance and win totals with given resources.

4 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Is top 20 good enough?  Because he’s not better than Saban, Dabo, Herman, Riley, Smart, Jimbo, Peterson, Patterson, Richt, Dantonio, Shaw, Franklin, Gundy, Harbaugh, Chryst, Ferentz, Whittingham, Leach, Whittingham...arguably Frost or Miles.

Hell, on second thought, he may not even be Top 20

Saban, Dabo, Petersen - Absolutely, I agree.  Most of those other guys, I'd put Holgorsen right there with them.  Richt now is obviously not the Richt of a few years ago, so right now Holgorsen >>>> Richt.  And Chryst or Dantonio to Houston would be a terrible match.  If I'm Houston, I want Holgorsen above about half the coaches you mention.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

UH is trading on margin here. $4m/year is ridiculous and unsustainable for a G5 program unless you are sure it will result in performance that will catapult you to the next level.

I'm pretty sure this is coming from donor dollars.  So as long as they can maintain their donor base; ticket receipts, TV revenue, etc. are not that crucial.

12 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

With that said, none of the P5's conferences really impressed with the clown show Coog High has put on. Good work guys. 

Maybe.  That's what some of them say publicly, anyway.  But are the P5's actually nervous?

This is all about a perception of commitment! Distance yourself from the G5’s (Tulsa) that can’t afford the $$$ it takes to compete!  The next league could be a G6, let’s set UNT up to be in that league! Everything is in place for UNT to compete! Our recruiting class is a huge sign!

• Upvote 1