Houston, You Have A Problem

Huff

24 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The 8 or 16 team playoff is not a certainty, so until then, WVU still has a better shot. And I don't think UCF is going to slide anytime soon. 

8 team will happen soon. As Houston has proven they can be a top 15-20. Google Morgantown then google Houston. Where would you want to live!

• Upvote 1

Holgo flirted pretty openly with Tech, but didn't get the gig. It's not a big secret out that way that he's kinda had it with WVU and that they wouldn't be crushed if he left.... I don't think this would be the coup that it seems for UH, he wants out. 

Plus, his NFL QB leaving, might not be the worst time to bail in his mind. 

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Nah...don’t think we have a problem. Lol this “cougar high” talk is hilarious, especially coming from UNT.

Please remind me the last the UNT football (or basketball) has been relevant. When was the last time you all won a NY6 bowl? Or hell...even made one?

And please, spare the academic smack...your school does not even offer the engineering degree (Bachelor of science in Mechanical Engineering) that I graduated with.

Edited by coogs08
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

24 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Wow.  Mad props to Houston for a great hire.

It’s a good hire but does mean a little less when 1) WVU doesn’t seem too upset about letting him go and apparently wasn’t willing to make much effort to keep him and 2) Holgorsen seems to be looking for any path out of Morgantown (which I understand is actually a decent place to live). 

Should be a great game next year in Denton. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, coogs08 said:

Nah...don’t think we have a problem. Lol this “cougar high” talk is hilarious, especially coming from UNT.

Please remind me the last the UNT football (or basketball) has been relevant. When was the last time you all won a NY6 bowl? Or hell...even made one?

And please, spare the academic smack...your school does not even offer the engineering degree (Bachelor of science in Mechanical Engineering) that I graduated with.

North Texas does offer that degree seems like your info is outdated. Much like Houston’s sense of importance. 

• Upvote 3

I don't know anything about Holgorsen, but initially surfing says this is a good hire for Houston.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if this was about Houston really wanting Holgorsen specifically, and less about Applewhite's "failures"?

13 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

There is no way in hell Holgorsen would leave WVU for Houston.  Why would he take the downgrade?

Way

tenor.gif?itemid=5800555

8 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

It’s a good hire but does mean a little less when 1) WVU doesn’t seem too upset about letting him go and apparently wasn’t willing to make much effort to keep him and 2) Holgorsen seems to be looking for any path out of Morgantown (which I understand is actually a decent place to live). 

Should be a great game next year in Denton. 

He wanted a guaranteed contract, they wouldn't give it to him. WV felt like his W-L record didn't warrant the commit. Now they will have to hire a coach from scratch and give him a guarantee. Must of been something deeper going on there.

9 hours ago, coogs08 said:

5B7DE87B-C3A7-4631-AC23-5729EDD57988.gif

Couple of things don't make sense. 

1.  As noted earlier, Houston money whipped a coach where they appear to be the only school after his services. 

2.  Looks like WVU wanted Holgorsen gone and didn't put up a fight.   What was the issue?  Record?

3.  UH just fired a coach for producing the new coach's average record. Seems like UH and Holgorsen may have been talking prior to the Applewhite firing and knew they could lure him away from Morgantown. 

4. Is he really the answer or did UH just watch the reason for their success walk out the door and down the street to FSU. 

5. Time will tell if this is a successful hire or not, but my first inclination is that this really doesn't move the needle. Will Holgorsen's system attract the talent to create the kind of success they desire. 

Regardless of all of this, it doesn't move them any closer to a "P5" Conference.  Personally, I think they way overpaid for a coach at this level. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don't know anything about Holgorsen, but initially surfing says this is a good hire for Houston.

Pure speculation, but I wonder if this was about Houston really wanting Holgorsen specifically, and less about Applewhite's "failures"?

Way

tenor.gif?itemid=5800555

Edit:

Just read that they are going to pay him $20 MILLION BLEEPING DOLLARS

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25659219/houston-cougars-finalizing-deal-dana-holgorsen-west-virginia-mountaineers

There has to be some bad stuff behind the scenes for Holgorsen and WVU to be willing to part ways. He's been pretty successful there.  Surely Houston can't pay him more.

Edited by peanuts104
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Couple of things don't make sense. 

1.  As noted earlier, Houston money whipped a coach where they appear to be the only school after his services. 

2.  Looks like WVU wanted Holgorsen gone and didn't put up a fight.   What was the issue?  Record?

3.  UH just fired a coach for producing the new coach's average record. Seems like UH and Holgorsen may have been talking prior to the Applewhite firing and knew they could lure him away from Morgantown. 

4. Is he really the answer or did UH just watch the reason for their success walk out the door and down the street to FSU. 

5. Time will tell if this is a successful hire or not, but my first inclination is that this really doesn't move the needle. Will Holgorsen's system attract the talent to create the kind of success they desire. 

Regardless of all of this, it doesn't move them any closer to a "P5" Conference.  Personally, I think they way overpaid for a coach at this level. 

He is a really good coach. You may not need to be a P5 once they expand the playoffs to 6-8 teams with an at large bid and now you don't have to go p5 to get paid. How does Tulsa compete when they had to take salary reductions? When the restructure takes place we need to be a top G5 program as Houston is attempting to be. 

• Upvote 1

Mountaineer fans are pretty broken up over all this 😆

Dana can go run the whores and shoot some coke with the old mobster in low life scum fest Houston. Houston is a cess pool. U of Houston is loser job.”

https://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/houston-gets-a-terrible-coach-and-wvu-makes-money-and-gets-rid-of-terrible-dana-big-win-for-wvu.192739/

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Mountaineer fans are pretty broken up over all this 😆

Dana can go run the whores and shoot some coke with the old mobster in low life scum fest Houston. Houston is a cess pool. U of Houston is loser job.”

https://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/houston-gets-a-terrible-coach-and-wvu-makes-money-and-gets-rid-of-terrible-dana-big-win-for-wvu.192739/

Hillbillies!