DRC: Baker -- UNT will be aggressive in retaining Littrell

Brett Vito

17 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Hmm. Sounds like he is gonna give him a raise. Really hope that only happens if it also significantly increases the buyout for other schools. Otherwise just add the year that passed back to it. if The current salary is not enough, 200k more will not be enough either.

I bet he ends up being the top paid coach in CUSA again though.    Bill Clark (at UAB) should enjoy his short time at the top.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Hmm. Sounds like he is gonna give him a raise. Really hope that only happens if it also significantly increases the buyout for other schools. Otherwise just add the year that passed back to it. if The current salary is not enough, 200k more will not be enough either.

I agree, raise the salary AND the buyout. We could even put some OU half price buyout in there to make him feel better about it. Any school but OU? Massive buyout.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

While I'm happy having SL as UNT Head Coach, I really feel that NCAA Div I salaries are out of control.  How many top professors would SL's salary bring to UNT?  I understand that if the $$$ wasn't spent on SL it wouldn't magically find it's way to academics, but the contrast is obscene.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, GTWT said:

While I'm happy having SL as UNT Head Coach, I really feel that NCAA Div I salaries are out of control.  How many top professors would SL's salary bring to UNT?  I understand that if the $$$ wasn't spent on SL it wouldn't magically find it's way to academics, but the contrast is obscene.

Yeah...for that kind of money we could buy two more wind generators and pretend we’re saving an extra whale or something.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 16

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I agree, raise the salary AND the buyout. We could even put some OU half price buyout in there to make him feel better about it. Any school but OU? Massive buyout.

Between the Big 12 media deal and OUs secondary media deals they make about $80M/yr from that alone. 

If ou wanted sl they could easily pay any buyout we could imagine. No need to give them a discount.

7 minutes ago, drex said:

Pretty good deal for a guy with no conference championships or bowl victories.

Let's not forget that raising the salary also makes it easier for us to hire the next hot coach when SL moves on.

33 minutes ago, GTWT said:

Salary is more or less covered by the big donors.  They are choosing to give money where they want to.

18 hours ago, Moobs said:

Like most of us, I'm sure Wren Baker has been called a lot of things in his lifetime.  I'm just not sure "athletic" is one of them.

I laughed way too hard at this. 

15 hours ago, GTWT said:

Go home hippie. A main reason only academic professors are paid as much as they are is because we have donors who are swayed by Athletics to give money in general.

Edited by Jason Howeth
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 7

I need more downvotes....SL was out the door and he didn’t stay because of any buyout. It came down to a staff issue. He has a heck of an agent and I congratulate him because his agent truly sees that SL is going places. At the end of the day SL is going to stay or leave based on his decision. If you disagree with me on that then you’re truly drinking that green koolaid from the tap. The only way I want SL to leave is with a 10 win season coming off a conference championship with a bowl game victory while he’s getting a new job because his recruiting classes are so good even a grad assistant could couch the team!

GMG 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I need more downvotes....SL was out the door and he didn’t stay because of any buyout. It came down to a staff issue. He has a heck of an agent and I congratulate him because his agent truly sees that SL is going places. At the end of the day SL is going to stay or leave based on his decision. If you disagree with me on that then you’re truly drinking that green koolaid from the tap. The only way I want SL to leave is with a 10 win season coming off a conference championship with a bowl game victory while he’s getting a new job because his recruiting classes are so good even a grad assistant could couch the team!

GMG 

I tried to give you a downvote but, your post was so good that even this GMG forum software checked the upvote.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

16 hours ago, GTWT said:

You aren’t really equating coaching football salaries to professor’s correct?

When the chemistry prof gets 15k to pay to come watch him teach, then it’ll be a fair comparison.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, GTWT said:

Like it or not, the fact of the matter is a strong football/athletic program improves academics and academic funding for a public school like North Texas.  More students come to the school, more students stay, more alumni donate when they feel more attached thru athletics.  More people know about the school, it’s marketing.  It’s a far more complicated equation than if we don’t pay the coach we can pay the professors.  A rising tide lifts all boats.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

You aren’t really equating coaching football salaries to professor’s correct?

When the chemistry prof gets 15k to pay to come watch him teach, then it’ll be a fair comparison.

When the football coach turns out a product (educated citizens) that change the world, then you'll be right.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 9

16 hours ago, GTWT said:

D1 salaries are very out of control, especially considering that most G5 athletics department are not self-sustaining and don't have a bottomless pit to draw from. Why are we bidding against ourselves?

You cant directly compare academic and athletics salaries, obviously. But it speaks to the larger issue with American universities that we have adjunct professors basically making minimum wage while we pay coaches millions to coach teams that run in the red.

How do you factor in advertisement and prestige from being an FBS school? Not sure. It certainly elevates UNT's brand and image. I just wish there were more equity and moderation in the D1 game. But here we are. I'm part of the problem, I love college football. GMG

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow!   I guess I’d just have to challenge you to say that to the players’ faces.  All 105 of them.

I don't think you're implying that UNT players would resort to violence against those they disagree.  Doesn't sound like good citizenship.  

Edited by GTWT
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1