Thundering Herd

RBP79

9 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

They are playing USF, who has lost 5 straight.  Marshall wouldn’t be having an easy time vs Utah State

USF also beat Georgia Tech and Illinois.  Marshall lost to Southern Mississippi.  

So I’d say both were evenly matched but one knew how to prepare for their bowl game and one didn’t.

Rick

• Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 14

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

USF also beat Georgia Tech and Illinois.  Marshall lost to Southern Mississippi.  

So I’d say both were evenly matched but one knew how to prepare for their bowl game and one didn’t.

Rick

How do you prepare for losing your POY QB?  He's kinda critical to the whole thing.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 3

21 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Marshall will always maintain being competitive because they play football at the LOS and recruit to the LOS. Marshall would've competed with USU. 

We would have as well... if we had a healthy Mason Fine.  I mean, we were competing with them (as in, it was actually happening), until he went down.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

UAB lost to Coastal Carolina. That's how college football go.

USF really sucks. I don't understand what Strong lost from Louisville to Texas and USF other than Teddy Bridgewater. Was it someone else's recruiting?

• Upvote 1

Guess USF and NT have a common thread in that the last half of there season had mounting injuries that they couldn't overcome. But they at least had a little fire in them. Maybe cause Charlie didn't go on a fishing expedition right before the bowl season.

Edited by RBP79
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Guess USF and NT have a common thread in that the last half of there season had mounting injuries that they couldn't overcome. But they at least had a little fire in them. Maybe cause Charlie didn't go on a fishing expedition right before the bowl season.

Boy, they sure do have a lot in common with Utah State.  I mean, both were 10-2 coming into their bowl game right?   Both were ranked right?  And their backup QBs threw 4 INTs to Marshall, right?  Basically giving them excellent field position all day?

Littrell's interviews were maybe 5% of the reason we lost.    Losing Mason Fine was 80% of why, and 100% why we lost as bad as we did.  There's really no other way around this.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Many ways.....but I’m sure none that could be accomplished in New York.

Rick

Seth Littrell could have been in the same room as Quinn Shanbour for the full 2 weeks and it wouldn't have mattered.    Fine is the engine that makes this thing go.    And without Bussey, it makes it that much harder.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How do you prepare for losing your POY QB?  He's kinda critical to the whole thing.

You guys really need to tap the breaks on the QB injury execuse.  Sure Mason is great but he doesn't snap the ball to himself or makes sure coverages aren't blown on defense.   If a freshman came and threw 5 interceptions 52-13 beat down is expected.  That was a crap show way beyond a missing QB.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

That’s a fairly wild leap.  You have to look at teams entire year.  They lost 5 in a row to teams that would have beaten if they were in fact a strong team.

we beat SMu and Arkansas, great.  But if you look at the body of work we barely beat several bad teams and lost to a a bad ODU.  You can’t ignore the bad stuff and just pick out good stuff.

your basic premise is if we had prepared better we would have won.  Sometimes you just aren’t as good as the other team.  Go look at Billy’s post, he nailed it.  We overachieved and some offensive matchups hid our weaknesses in some games in order to have at least a winning season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Seth Littrell could have been in the same room as Quinn Shanbour for the full 2 weeks and it wouldn't have mattered.    Fine is the engine that makes this thing go.    And without Bussey, it makes it that much harder.

Give us a #%€<ing break with the bull$hit excuses please!!!!!  We looked like we hadn’t seen a practice in three weeks on both sides of the ball.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 6

22 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Give us a #%€<ing break with the bull$hit excuses please!!!!!  We looked like we hadn’t seen a practice in three weeks on both sides of the ball.

Rick

None of the -‘s from me.

I suppose the “Seth Littrell was in New York...” is not an excuse?   I just want to make sure we’re not excluding my “excuse” of Fine being injured, but including your “excuse” of poor coaching because SL was at a coaches’ conference & interviewing for KSSt for the first 1/2 of the first week of bowl prep.  

Because 1 of those “excuses” is infinitely more important than the other in how that game went down.

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

You guys really need to tap the breaks on the QB injury execuse.  Sure Mason is great but he doesn't snap the ball to himself or makes sure coverages aren't blown on defense.   If a freshman came and threw 5 interceptions 52-13 beat down is expected.  That was a crap show way beyond a missing QB.

Yeah, I don’t know what was going on with SMose & his snaps, but those were very uncharacteristically bad from him.

What if a Senior backup came in & threw 3 INTs & a freshman came in & threw another...  would that be enough to keep your tired defense on the field to get burned by their nascar offense?  Can we agree that a healthy Fine would not have done that (I mean, like with 99% certainty)?

I’m not here to say we definitely would have won with Fine.  That is suspect at best, but I’m entirely sure it would not have been 52-13.

• Upvote 2

Said it before....will say it again...Fine does not play defense. And, to add a bit more, part of a coaching staff’s duty is to have players ready to step in should one player go down.  The altitude nor Mason’s injury created this blowout loss....make all the excuses you want, justify it any way you need in order to feel better, but this blowout goes down to a team not ready to play a bowl game. Is what it is....a tough ridiculous loss. Hopefully, a learning moment for both players and coaching staff.  It’s over. Hopefully there will be another chance for a bowl win next season...if so, hopefully the team and staff are ready to go and win the thing. 

And, the Mean Green nation will show up just like it did in Dallas, New Orleans and Albuquerque.

Look at the bright side...lots of Mean Green fans learned how to spell “Albuquerque” without relying on spell check! 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2