Frisco Bowl

Matt from A700

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would say the second picture showed we brought quit a few fans. What this thread tells me is that some of our fans will complain about any and every thing. 

Not just some of our fans. Some of people in general will complain. Some people like to complain more than getting what they want.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UNTexas said:

So your illustration shows we brought the band and a nearby Utah State brought a few fans. Ok. I was at the Frisco bowl and sitting on the pressbox side where everyone else was. You could walk under that area to get out of the rain.

All I really saw out of NM was our team get embarrassed by a classless Utah State team in front of an empty old stadium.

Either way, pretty stupid argument. Both had lousy attendance and responding by cursing is sophomoric at best. 

My “illustration” shows the facts. And again...no one here has stated the N.M. Bowl had great or even good attendance.  But it had more than Frisco.  So yes....it is a “pretty stupid argument” but here you are.......participating in it.

Rick

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

12 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

Nearby? Logan, UT is further from Albuquerque than Denton is...

Try again? On second thought, don't. Just drop it. 

Utah isn't right next to New Mexico? You want to talk about mileage in a bowl and compare it to others? They brought more fans than us either way. It's a crappy bowl game that even ESPN won't cut into basketball for. UNT fans trying to argue how swell the optics were is just laughable. The attendance beat a midweek bowl game in the rain between San Diego State and Ohio in North Texas and people here are bragging and talking up how we beat their attendance? Wow. NM shouldn't even have a bowl game but we did find a way to get embarrassed it. Our small  fan base is getting more ridiculous yearly and this forum is proof.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 7

4 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Utah isn't right next to New Mexico? You want to talk about mileage in a bowl and compare it to others? They brought more fans than us either way. It's a crappy bowl game that even ESPN won't cut into basketball for. UNT fans trying to argue how swell the optics were is just laughable. The attendance beat a midweek bowl game in the rain between San Diego State and Ohio in North Texas and people here are bragging and talking up how we beat their attendance? Wow. NM shouldn't even have a bowl game but we did find a way to get embarrassed it. Our small  fan base is getting more ridiculous yearly and this forum is proof.

Why so bitter?

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Logan is 62 Miles further than Denton.

No...USU did not take more fans than North Texas.  It was visually a dead even match between the two sides.  We had LOTS of time to view and discuss it from the stands because......there certainly wasn’t much else to discuss.

The N.M. attendance did beat several other bowl attendances per saturday’s Dallas Morning News.  So I can’t see how passing on a reported fact is considered bragging?

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Logan is 62 Miles further than Denton.

No...USU did not take more fans than North Texas.  It was visually a dead even match between the two sides.  We had LOTS of time to view and discuss it from the stands because......there certainly wasn’t much else to discuss.

The N.M. attendance did beat several other bowl attendances per saturday’s Dallas Morning News.  So I can’t see how passing on a reported fact is considered bragging?

Rick 

Agree Rick. I was in NM. I would put UNT attendance at 2,000. Utah State at 1700. We definitely had more there than them but if I'm being truthful the advantage was probably due to size of the bands. Utah State had some UNM people on their side that helped them fill it in a bit. The game was miserable due to our play. But myself, my son and his two friends had a blast. The people were very friendly and the food was good. It got pretty damn cold when the sun started going down. The total attendance was probably around 6-7k but could pass for more in a 40,000 seat stadium. Honestly not sure what people expect. Both USU and UNT had games this year with scans not much off that on their home campus. (And before you come at me, I guarantee Southern Miss was in that neighborhood).

Never got fans like some on this thread crapping on bowl games. What the hell difference is it to you? If the bowl loses money, it's not your damn money. Schools and conferences obviously see a benefit or they wouldn't play them. ESPN obviously has an audience for them because they are constantly looking to add more. The players get to go somewhere new and actually see more than an airport and hotel. They can get a nice bowl gift around Christmas and winners probably get a ring they can show their kids. 

This is pretty simple. If you don't like the matchup, opponent, location, date, etc. Don't frieking go! But no one cares to hear you come on the board and shit on the bowl game. Takes a pretty sad sack of a person to come on here and dog out people who do go and do enjoy such games. 

• Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2018 at 9:31 AM, wardly said:

My bad. I just assumed that both teams would be required to buy a total of 9,000 tickers, which is half the capacity, similar to the requirement of New Mexico Bowl. I just couldn't believe that the Frisco Bowl couldn't sell another 3-4,000, so assumed the announced attendance of 11,000 was butts in the seat. One again, to assume is to make an ass out of me. For that I apologize.The only reason I ever broached the subject of attendance in Albuquerque is my concern as to how can UNT continue to lose money by participating in these second tier bowls. We had to eat the cost of 8,500 tickets, plus cost of team,band,dancers, cheerleaders,etc. To me the big picture is football for 2nd tier programs is a failing business model. Overall, attendance is down for college football, and t,v, revenues for UNT are basically non existent. Coaching and administrative costs are skyrocketing, travel costs increasing, and for us football is becoming a gate revenue sport.In the real world when expenses continue to rise  and revenues decline you have a business that is on life support at best.While I realize that collegiate sports seen to be exempt from normal business practices, at what point do you pay the piper?

Smaller bowls don't require anywhere near 8,500 tickets. That number is for the bigger bowls. Most smaller bowls are 3-5k. I'm sure some schools don't sell them all but nonetheless.

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2018 at 8:46 AM, UNTexas said:

It's a crappy bowl game that even ESPN won't cut into basketball for.

You never drop coverage of a game to go to something else! EVER! You give updates, you might cut in a small box with the other game (but this happens even more rarely as screens fill up with more and more text!) but you never just dump a game on a national feed. Here's why - 

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-heidi-bowl

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

On 12/23/2018 at 3:59 PM, meangreenJW said:

Smaller bowls don't require anywhere near 8,500 tickets. That number is for the bigger bowls. Most smaller bowls are 3-5k. I'm sure some schools don't sell them all but nonetheless.

Correct, but if the school doesn't sell the tickets, they generally have to buy them or an equivalent. What a lot of bowls now do is require a combination of ticket sales, hotel rooms and other purchases to make up X dollars. Once a school hits the X dollar amount, they are good. 

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

Maybe they can move the Frisco Bowl to the new Cricket stadium that is going to be built.  Cricket stadium really?

Yes really! Here in Coppell, folks were complaining about new soccer fields being built without any crown. But that lets the Parks and Rec folks combine four soccer fields into a cricket field. Not sure about Frisco, but Coppell has a very large South Asian population and they love cricket. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:09 PM, risinggreen said:

Why not move the Frisco/Denton Bowl to Apogee. About the right capacity for a lower level bowl, and easy access from the north during bowl season.

Because we don't want our program/stadium to have to compete with a bowl for corporate sponsorship.  Would you rather have the Peterbilt Bowl or Halftime Show Presented by Peterbilt.

Edited by MattMakesLoans

On 12/23/2018 at 8:46 AM, UNTexas said:

Utah isn't right next to New Mexico? You want to talk about mileage in a bowl and compare it to others? They brought more fans than us either way. It's a crappy bowl game that even ESPN won't cut into basketball for. UNT fans trying to argue how swell the optics were is just laughable. The attendance beat a midweek bowl game in the rain between San Diego State and Ohio in North Texas and people here are bragging and talking up how we beat their attendance? Wow. NM shouldn't even have a bowl game but we did find a way to get embarrassed it.

Our small  fan base is getting more ridiculous yearly and this forum is proof.

Feel free to make it slightly smaller 

• Haha 4
  • Downvote 1