DRC: Johnson talks about decision to decommit from UNT

Brett Vito

We should leave Johnson alone.  His tweet still says he’s with North Texas. Maybe he changes his mind as will some others among all 130 NCAA D1 schools this recruiting season.  

I don’t think we want anyone here at our burgeoning university with major athletic venues being built or planned out there between those 2 Texas Interstates;  that is, if they don’t want to be here. 

GMG!CCEA8949-DA8C-44FD-9991-9FE40A13C663.jpeg.1ad710ddd27f0b0cbc3e0a56e6e0bfd5.jpeg

College Baseball at the Mean Green Village in our future?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

7 hours ago, UNT78 said:

Forget him, go find another running back, we definitely need another one. Easley, will recover and probably start next fall; we need a big running back that has quickness and speed that's at least 200lbs. or more!

I don't know if the injury was ever officially disclosed, but in the past he has torn both the ACL in his right knee and his left knee (in High School and then again at SFA).  I think its safe to assume that even if this wasn't an ACL tear, he is at least questionable to return next season with the amount of damage his legs have sustained.

• Upvote 3

Why did he need to go on social media to give a vague excuse as to why he changed his mind? Not everything requires airing of your personal business. You can talk to schools on a phone, email, or in person. Maybe I'm weird but airing of grievances should should be held off until Festivus. 

At the end of the day, NT will look to fill his spot he vacated. You kind of have to move on imo. If he doesn't he doesn't get another offer he might be SOL.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Johnson scored more TDs even though he had fewer second half carries, so I don't think that's it.

He also played a lot on defense this year.  What large school plays the best running back both ways?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Allow me to rephrase.  What large school that is successful plays their best running back both ways?

Well it depends on what you define as large school and what is successful?  Although the success of the school is in no way indicative of the player(Lance Dunbar for example). 

Weatherford,..picked to finish last in district...finished 4th.  But missed finishing tied for 2nd by 13 points while playing 6 players both ways and broke an 11 year playoff drought.  

Playing 1 or 2 players both ways is rare but not unheard of at the 6A and 5A levels..  Playing 6 both ways is extremely rare though.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Well it depends on what you define as large school and what is successful?  Although the success of the school is in no way indicative of the player(Lance Dunbar for example). 

Weatherford,..picked to finish last in district...finished 4th.  But missed finishing tied for 2nd by 13 points while playing 6 players both ways and broke an 11 year playoff drought.  

Playing 1 or 2 players both ways is rare but not unheard of at the 6A and 5A levels..  Playing 6 both ways is extremely rare though.

Rick

Exception, not the rule.

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Exception, not the rule.

Absolutely.  You don’t want your RB having to also start at LB, especially at the 6A level.  Our kid named Thayne Garnett led Weatherford back to tie Haltom late in the game 21-21.  We had the ball with a chance to take the lead.  But two flubbed punts did us in and our kids just flat out collapsed from exhaustion and were unable to close the deal and lost by 10 to the eventual district champs that went five rounds deep.  

Garnett put on one of the gutsiest display of effort I’ve ever seen at the HS level that night.

#RooPride

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Absolutely.  You don’t want your RB having to also start at LB, especially at the 6A level.  Our kid named Thayne Garnett led Weatherford back to tie Haltom late in the game 21-21.  We had the ball with a chance to take the lead.  But two flubbed punts did us in and our kids just flat out collapsed from exhaustion and were unable to close the deal and lost by 10 to the eventual district champs that went five rounds deep.  

Garnett put on one of the gutsiest display of effort I’ve ever seen at the HS level that night.

#RooPride

Rick

Just yanking your chain.  Back when I was at Denton High, Weatherford was in our district and we weren't found of each other.  Doesn't your son have a year or two left?

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Just yanking your chain.  Back when I was at Denton High, Weatherford was in our district and we weren't found of each other.  Doesn't your son have a year or two left?

No big deal.  I was just s’plaining my POV.  And no he’s done.  You know,....they didn’t set the world on fire but hopefully got the coals warmed enough for the future generations and we couldn’t be more proud of him getting to play a major role in their turnaround.

Rick

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

We are like a fisherman after a successful day at the lake catching multiple fish.  Still fretting over the “one” that got away.

If Johnson called SL tomorrow I think there would be one scholly’ still available.   (I heard one that opened up was actually a grade casualty). 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

17 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

We are like a fisherman after a successful day at the lake catching multiple fish.  Still fretting over the “one” that got away.

If Johnson called SL tomorrow I think there would be one scholly’ still available.   (I heard one that opened up was actually a grade casualty). 

No man. The feds would be on us. Fish and Wildlife doesn't screw around about quotas. 

• Haha 3