DRC: Johnson talks about decision to decommit from UNT

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

These recruits on Twitter act like they just got on stage receiving a Grammy. 

It's a sign of the times.  A ton of these teens - kids born into the digital age - are really just looking to increase their social media presence.  Increase their internet brand value, if you will.

I wish him well, but am not sure where he will end up.  He had better rushing stats as a junior, was second on Manvel in rushing this year and seemed to play more on the defensive side for Manvel.  Throw a shoulder injury on top of that, and I will be curious where he will end up.  Ladarius Owens was their leading rusher and he is committed to Texas Southern.

I think Adaway will be our RB for this class and I would love to see us go after that kid from Oklahoma that hasn't garnered any offers yet.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Smith and the other guy is not enough at running back! We need another Wilson!

Easly will be back next year. We still have Torrey, Smith, and Evan Johnson. We also had that RB from UCONN transfer in and sat this season. We are fine. Would love to see Garrison Johnson, but we need to focus on guys who want to be apart of this Fl19ht Club

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Smith and the other guy is not enough at running back! We need another Wilson!

The other guy is pretty damn good, Torrey.  Plus Smith, Johnson (one already on team) and hopefully Easley will be ready to go next year.  

Another Wilson would be good, but I would put some nasty offensive linemen at the top of my wish list.  

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I believe Adaway is being recruited as a DB

Really?   That's the first I've heard that.   Do you have a link or anything?   I guess I just assumed since that's what his 24/7 profile lists him as.   But, we saw Siggers move to DB, so I guess the coaches have an eye for that.  It would not surprise me much.

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Really?   That's the first I've heard that.   Do you have a link or anything?   I guess I just assumed since that's what his 24/7 profile lists him as.   But, we saw Siggers move to DB, so I guess the coaches have an eye for that.  It would not surprise me much.

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hope not. I've seen him play and he has rb good, not db hips. Too robotic for db. 

As for Johnson, in his commitment announcement he pretty much stated he's settling for UNT while waiting on something better. So, meh. 

Yeah I may have misread or heard wrong but I thought it was as a Safety.

Could be wrong though. He might be a RB regardless now.

@TheReal_jayD care to confirm?

I think he was recruiting as an athlete with the thought he might move to DB, but it is tough to ignore his stats from this year.

67 carries for 522 yards and 7 TDs.

21 receptions for 371 yards and 3 TDs. (Led team in all receiving stats)

He was their top offensive producer on a team that finished 12-1 and state runner-up.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I believe Adaway is being recruited as a DB

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I hope not. I've seen him play and he has rb good, not db hips. Too robotic for db. 

As for Johnson, in his commitment announcement he pretty much stated he's settling for UNT while waiting on something better. So, meh. 

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah I may have misread or heard wrong but I thought it was as a Safety.

Could be wrong though. He might be a RB regardless now.

@TheReal_jayD care to confirm?

There's some speculation in his recruiting thread that he might end up at DB, but every other indication I've seen is that he plans on being a RB.

50 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It's a sign of the times.  A ton of these teens - kids born into the digital age - are really just looking to increase their social media presence.  Increase their internet brand value, if you will.

Oh I know, but social media can also back fire on you if you’re not careful. 

didn't Johnson throw out his shoulder at the end of the year? 

either way, I was more into Addaway at RB and if we're going to lose a recruit, this isn't the worst position both for us (Torrey, Easly, Smith, and hopefully UNCONN kid Hopkins, who is 6'1" 215) and in the recruiting market. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

didn't Johnson throw out his shoulder at the end of the year? 

either way, I was more into Addaway at RB and if we're going to lose a recruit, this isn't the worst position both for us (Torrey, Easly, Smith, and hopefully UNCONN kid Hopkins, who is 6'1" 215) and in the recruiting market. 

I don't want a guy nobody's offered... Go after a guy lots have offered

• Skeptical Eagle 1

I feel sorry for the kid because he's letting other people influence his initial decision to commit. The staff asking him to sign early is not asking too much considering he was already committed. It sounds more like he was just using us a fallback plan from the beginning.

Either way, good luck finding the right school Garrison. I hope you find what you're looking for, but your decision to decommit may be a decision you look back on in the future and regret. 

• Upvote 2