DRC: Johnson talks about decision to decommit from UNT

Brett Vito

Good luck to Mr. Johnson if he decides to leave. Think he’d be missing something pretty special, though.  The journey to greatness can many times be more fun than the actual destination.  

AND.....Fact remains that Seth Littrell did not accept the KSU offer extended to him with conditions he would have had to accept.   He turned down the damn jobs, folks. 

If he was so desperate to leave Denton & make couple more million a year  he would have. Let’s not give him reasons to want to get the hell out of Dodge;  that is, let's not burn our barn down to kill a mouse. 

❇️ We've got a fancy new Indoor Athletic Facility that will have the largest weight room of any Texas Big 12 & SEC school.  Other venues on the way!  Remember when we didn't have all this happening up there?  I do.

GMG!

Celebrate!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO_R5puXs6E

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

First time I had seen this quote:  “I am verbally committed, but I am still open in case God offers me another situation that I feel better about,” Johnson said when he committed. “North Texas is where I feel best now.”

I agree with @Big Z

...and this kid was never "committed" spewing crap like that.  Why even "commit"?

25 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

I never thought I'd see the day when a kid decommits from my school in order to explore options at my wife's school (Syracuse). House divided now, if it wasn't before. 

He's not, or he would have flipped already.  He took an OV there a LONG time ago, and remained committed to us until just now.

And this (not wanting to sign tomorrow & waiting until February) is not something that just springs up.  If that was his intent for a while, I assume it would have come up in conversation...   I think someone reached out to him with feelers & he wanted to take the bait.   He'll get other offers, and he'll take a different one.   But if he waits around until February and hasn't committed to anyone, then signs with Syracuse, it wasnt because that's where he wanted to be.

I assume we'll see a committment to a P5 school in the Big12 in the coming days.

• Eye Roll 1

37 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I assume we'll see a committment to a P5 school in the Big12 in the coming days.

Maybe.

Do note that he admitted he was still playing the field when he *ahem* "committed" to us months ago.  So he was able to keep us as a backup plan.  Now the day before December signing day, he decommits...which puts the coaches at a disadvantage to find another quality RB to offer the scholly to.  I could well be wrong, but it looks like he's playing his cards so that if his "Miss Right" school doesn't come calling (whoever that is), he'll still have a scholly waiting for him.  So he can keep us as his backup plan still.

Either that, or a school that didn't look as appealing earlier looks very enticing now.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

It appears NT wanted him to sign tomorrow and he still wants to wait for that magic offer.  That is his decision.  

I have watched the recruiting game too long to worry about any one player.   He might turn out great or far from it.  

NT is deep right now at rb, so this is far from a critical signing.  

I also wonder if some of you bother to watch the games, few teams run the ball significantly more than at NT.  Exception being those few that run a triple option attack like Army.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Maybe.

Do note that he admitted he was still playing the field when he *ahem* "committed" to us months ago.  So he was able to keep us as a backup plan.  Now the day before December signing day, he decommits...which puts the coaches at a disadvantage to find another quality RB to offer the scholly to.  I could well be wrong, but it looks like he's playing his cards so that if his "Miss Right" school doesn't come calling (whoever that is), he'll still have a scholly waiting for him.  So he can keep us as his backup plan still.

Either that, or a school that didn't look as appealing earlier looks very enticing now.

I gotta believe the staff told him we'll move on if you do.   I highly doubt we're going to hold onto is scholarship if he officially decommitted.    If that is his plan, he really messed up.   But he'll get offers.