Recruiting....

Side Show Joe

We are all very happy with our #1 recruiting class that is about to sign in a few days. In all my years of following the Mean Green I can't remember the last time North Texas had the best class in our conference. Littrell and his staff should be recognized for their hard work. It is yet another sign that UNT is improving. Having made that perfectly clear, it is my belief that our leadership must make signing the best possible offensive and defensive linemen their top recruiting priority. They are out there. Utah State found them. I don't care if they have to scour the entire country, and spend the bulk of their recruiting budget. We can find high quality skill players locally, but we have to place the best possible talent we can in the trenches, and we have not been able to do that locally. I believe without much better play from both of our lines, we will continue to struggle with good teams.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

We are all very happy with our #1 recruiting class that is about to sign in a few days. In all my years of following the Mean Green I can't remember the last time North Texas had the best class in our conference. Littrell and his staff should be recognized for their hard work. It is yet another sign that UNT is improving. Having made that perfectly clear, it is my belief that our leadership must make signing the best possible offensive and defensive linemen their top recruiting priority. They are out there. Utah State found them. I don't care if they have to scour the entire country, and spend the bulk of their recruiting budget. We can find high quality skill players locally, but we have to place the best possible talent we can in the trenches, and we have not been able to do that locally. I believe without much better play from both of our lines, we will continue to struggle with good teams.

I would wager the coaches are well aware of that fact.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I would wager the coaches are well aware of that fact.

I'm sure after three years of sub-par play on their lines, they have to know their local approach isn't working. My point is that they have yet to move in a different direction.

It is time for them to cast a wider net. We need to look everywhere. High schools and junior colleges from coast to coast... we need to be sending coaches to see these kids and let them know we place a priority on recruiting P5 quality linemen, and will travel anywhere to get them.

It is my belief that when a high 3 star offensive or defensive lineman is sitting on multiple offers, and knows going to a P5 program means he is going to have less of a chance then the three 4 and 5 star guys that are also headed there, he is going to take a long hard look at the quality G5 offers on the table. If we are the only G5 that traveled across the nation and stood in their living room, and he knows every lineman we have offered is of the same caliber he is, I like our chances. Kids want to play where they are wanted, and where they feel they will be among their peers (other linemen that held P5 offers).

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1