Recruiting philosophy by position

Harry

I think Littrell got burned on the juco route in 2017 when 2 difference makers did not get on the field (LB William Johnson and OL Cody Hayes).  Our recruiting philosophy since has been predominately high school and a few jucos and transfers mixed in.

UAB and Utah State were the two toughest teams we faced this season and both of them are chocked full of jucos and transfers.  We have chronicled the UAB situation at length already.   Take a look at the Utah State roster here

My point is, yes this is an outstanding recruiting class we have right now.  Is that the best way to go for a G5?  Time will tell. 

For instance, we all know that our offensive line HAS got to improve and thinking that it will next season with one 4-year transfer and 3-4 high school guys is wishful thinking.  If we had better talent on the roster this past season than why would they be on the bench?

If I am Littrell I go to Chuck Langston and say look at what we saw against USU and UAB... what do we need to do to match or better those OL?  Is high school and development the best long term strategy to get improvement?  Or should we be looking to sign more juco's?  Tell me your plan and what you need to execute it and be held accountable to it.

I am actually torn on this because I do believe in the long run developing through high schools is the best way but it is more difficult to do that at certain positions.  Perhaps we should be looking at handling it differently at certain positions.

Our JUCO's under Littrell have been hit and miss.  Pahuini came in a never contributed.  Preston was touted during the Fall but played little this year.  But then we have someone like Henson that graduated last year that was pretty solid.  I think like any position, we just have to do a better job of identifying talent that will help us and then convincing them to come to Denton.

• Thanks 1

I think the Juco route is effective for schools in areas where its hard to recruit. OL/DL is the only position i would even consider this for at a school like UNT. We just need to keep doing what we're doing. Establish a culture, create a family environment, and hopefully start to when some big games. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Our JUCO's under Littrell have been hit and miss.  Pahuini came in a never contributed.  Preston was touted during the Fall but played little this year.  But then we have someone like Henson that graduated last year that was pretty solid.  I think like any position, we just have to do a better job of identifying talent that will help us and then convincing them to come to Denton.

I think Preston was injured early in the year. Anyone else remember hearing that?

• Upvote 2

Sosaia has been solid at center and he was a JUCO

I wont be surprised to see Preston starting at LG. The real question is what our tackles will look like. Plantin is obviously one to watch, but what about Woodworth? He saw a lot of playing time in spring/fall at LT. 

We seem to have better luck with JUCO OL than high school OL

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Sosaia has been solid at center and he was a JUCO

I wont be surprised to see Preston starting at LG. The real question is what our tackles will look like. Plantin is obviously one to watch, but what about Woodworth? He saw a lot of playing time in spring/fall at LT. 

We seem to have better luck with JUCO OL than high school OL

For sure.    Poor guy picked a heckuva day to have a bunch of bad snaps.  Of course, I guess your snaps have to be different when hiking to 4 different QBs?

Don't forget Redshirt Freshman Manase Mose, who wound up being an honorable mention all-conference guy.  I think he's going to get better & better.

I'd like to see Woodworth stay at Guard if possible.  So yeah, that makes Plantin succeeding at LT imperative.   Have Brammer/Parrish duke it out at RT, and you'll have a starting line like this next year:
LT: Plantin
LG: Woodworth
C :  SMose
RG: MMose
RT: winner of Brammer/Parish spring&fall battle.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For sure.    Poor guy picked a heckuva day to have a bunch of bad snaps.  Of course, I guess your snaps have to be different when hiking to 4 different QBs?

Don't forget Redshirt Freshman Manase Mose, who wound up being an honorable mention all-conference guy.  I think he's going to get better & better.

I'd like to see Woodworth stay at Guard if possible.  So yeah, that makes Plantin succeeding at LT imperative.   Have Brammer/Parrish duke it out at RT, and you'll have a starting line like this next year:
LT: Plantin
LG: Woodworth
C :  SMose
RG: MMose
RT: winner of Brammer/Parish spring&fall battle.

Yeah the only thing I'd be worried about would be Parish's weight. I'd like him to pack on another 20 pounds in the offseason, but I like his length.

Brammer looked pretty bad at LT but then again so did Murray, so who knows.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

Yeah the only thing I'd be worried about would be Parish's weight. I'd like him to pack on another 20 pounds in the offseason, but I like his length.

Brammer is just a freshman and is converting from playing TE in High School. He is adding weight. He will only get better.

• Upvote 2

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Agree.  So hoping maybe RT will suit him a little better?  But that puts all our eggs in Plantin's basket, or slide Woody over & put Preston in at LG, but then you only have Plantin for depth.

• Upvote 1