Final Thought On The New Mexico Bowl

FirefightnRick

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

First I hope everyone made it home from Albuquerque safe and sound.

UNM is easily one of the easiest drive-to destinations you could ever ask for.  Cheap gas and hotel stay made it that much better.  Including stops for food and gas we got back home in 9 1/2 hours.

The New Mexico Bowl is a  nice event.  The city of Albuquerque and the University Of New Mexico greatly supports it.  The UNM fans love having this game in their stadium, ....and it’s a damn nice stadium btw.  (The dumbass that ranked it as one of the worst stadiums doesn’t have a $&@#ing clue what he’s talking about).   The UNM fans were out tailgating early yesterday morning, some brought in RV’’s and big smoker pits. Their fans picked a team and sat on that team’s side of the stadium and cheered for them.  There were a lot of corporate and local businesses present all throughout with lots of give-away stuff.  The local radio and TV stations covered it really well also.  

The UNT Alumni Association, AD and University put on another great blowout for us all and we had a good turnout. Good food, good drinks and great fans.

Overall this is easily the best bowl North Texas has participated in from my perspective.  It’s GREATLY supported in all facets by the city that hosts it and they go out of their way to show their appreciation for both schools and their fans.  

Rick

What was the official attendance?

• Eye Roll 1

16 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

First I hope everyone made it home from Albuquerque safe and sound.

UNM is easily one of the easiest drive-to destinations you could ever ask for.  Cheap gas and hotel stay made it that much better.  Including stops for food and gas we got back home in 9 1/2 hours.

The New Mexico Bowl is a  nice event.  The city of Albuquerque and the University Of New Mexico greatly supports it.  The UNM fans love having this game in their stadium, ....and it’s a damn nice stadium btw.  (The dumbass that ranked it as one of the worst stadiums doesn’t have a $&@#ing clue what he’s talking about).   The UNM fans were out tailgating early yesterday morning, some brought in RV’’s and big smoker pits. Their fans picked a team and sat on that team’s side of the stadium and cheered for them.  There were a lot of corporate and local businesses present all throughout with lots of give-away stuff.  The local radio and TV stations covered it really well also.  

The UNT Alumni Association, AD and University put on another great blowout for us all and we had a good turnout. Good food, good drinks and great fans.

Overall this is easily the best bowl North Texas has participated in from my perspective.  It’s GREATLY supported in all facets by the city that hosts it and they go out of their way to show their appreciation for both schools and their fans.  

Rick

I have to agree with you 100%! The City of Albuquerque, the New Mexico Bowl folks, the fans, etc. treated us like kings and queens. And, yes, for bowl costs, very reasonable and an easy “get to” place. Stadium was fine, tailgate was fantastic...Sadie’s did a great job with the catering...and it was very well attended.

The absolute ONLY downer was the game itself. We had a great time attending this bowl game, and would have absolutely no problem returning for another shot at winning this thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I have to agree with you 100%! The City of Albuquerque, the New Mexico Bowl folks, the fans, etc. treated us like kings and queens. And, yes, for bowl costs, very reasonable and an easy “get to” place. Stadium was fine, tailgate was fantastic...Sadie’s did a great job with the catering...and it was very well attended.

The absolute ONLY downer was the game itself. We had a great time attending this bowl game, and would have absolutely no problem returning for another shot at winning this thing.

I second this motion.  City of Albuquerque was a great host and only wish we could have provided them with a better game.

The Pit used to be one of the more legendary places to play.  The Lobos have a lifetime home winning percentage of 80%.  I've heard that the nature of the build (37' below street level) and angle of the seats can make it defeaning to opposition.

I know sometime in the late 90s they won over 40 consecutive games there.  UTEP was the last win in that streak, and I believe BYU snapped it the next game.

I know it's not interesting to the casual fan, but to the die hards you can find a ton of college basketball history between those 3 southwest schools (UNM, NMSU, UTEP).  The coaches, rivalries, and records that went through there are really something.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I have to disagree, I had two different very drunk UNM fans try to start a fight with me.   The UNM fans did pick a side, but the one group sitting in front of my group just bad mouthed Texas, DFW, North Texas as a region and a school, and Scrappy for the entire game.  

ABQ is cool, but New Mexico is a dumpster fire of a state. Desolate garbage. They are obviously clueless and needed to be throat punched. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Glad many of you had a blast. After living in Santa Fe for 6 years I bowed to buy my book writing cabin in northern New Mexico. It’s simply underrated misunderstood country and right next door. 

I would love a move to the MWC for hoops. I mean New Mexico UNLV #5 Nevada (saw them in the Reno airport the other day - impressive and huge) SDSU Boise hoops now - that conference is loaded.  MWC tourney in Vegas every March.

i loved the shirts the good the bad and the ugly with a lobo utep and nmsu logo next to their respective lot in life. Can we get one with smu and utsa and of course SOW in the good line. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

My final thought... I haven't seen a UNT team this poorly prepared for a game in a loooooong time...

Coaching staff should be embarrassed - they did not represent our university well.

After the 2 FAU debacles last year plus last year's bowl debacle, I thought they would have learned how to get a team prepared for a game like this year's bowl.

I 100% support Littrell and Company for all of the great things we've seen over the last 3 years - but they really need to not let this happen again.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3