After sleeping on it

emmitt01

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I rewatched some of the game this morning from my hotel room.  Here is what I noticed, and it won't make any of our fans happy.  

We made mistakes...true.  Our QB went down early...true.  

But we were outmatched by a better team.  Their lines were better.  When they wanted to get pressure on our QB they did...when we wanted to send pressure we were mostly stonewalled.  They ran with pretty good success both when we expected it and when we didn’t...it was tough sledding for our backs all night. Their secondary was better.  Save a few breakaway plays (like the Guyton tD) there was a defender all over our receivers when we caught the ball...they ran a 7 on 7 game against our secondary AND got open deep with little problem.  They were just a quality team, and we are not yet.  

But here is the other thing to think about.  We have yet to really put a quality recruiting class on the field.  The sane players that went 1-11, with the key additions of some skill position players have turned in back-to-back 9 win seasons.  

There are guys with D1 size (and speed) that we brought in last year and didn’t play yet (guys like Jaxon Williams, KD Davis and Reggie Williams), we brought in guys like Dayton Leblanc and Derrick Shaw who have real DL size.  

And this year’s class (still #1 in CUSA) will bring more of an upgrade in talent.  We are not a “great” team yet, but we have managed “good” with culture, dict tape and bailing wire.  

Thanks, as always for the good words, Emmitt. It's just hard to swallow...kinda like dict tape.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Maybe.  But we looked totally unprepared to defend USU running game.  That looked like last year's FAU games.

Agree. This is what I thought I was watching...

200.gif?cid=3640f6095c16ae78447273507700

• Upvote 1

While all true...but when is enough ass whippings enough ass whippings. Year 4, 5, 6? While we can blame poor talent and recruiting classes....We just can't shrug with manila statements in we don't have the talent, because that is a burden of this staff as well. 

The nationally televised embarrassments have to stop. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I guess the downvoters don't think recruiting is the staffs job and they enjoy the curb stompings. 

Very well. 

So you would say that Seth hasn’t improved recruiting?  

I’ll respectfully disagree and await some tripe about “standards” or such nonsense

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

So you would say that Seth hasn’t improved recruiting?  

I’ll respectfully disagree and await some tripe about “standards” or such nonsense

He has 1 good recruiting class yet to sign. We are getting pushed around by more physically imposing teams over the last 3 years because of the inability to recruit at a high level the first three classes. 

So we just tip our hat at this class coming in while trying to make amends for what took place yesterday, last December, this year vs Tech and UAB. When the simple and clear answer points to the first three classes.

Also to note, philosophically, we're always going to be a soft, finesse team. It's no fault of SL, It's the coaching tree he is sprung from. Yesterday vs USU, or any team like a 2017 Troy or 2018 UAB, will be a bad match up for a SL coached team. 

That is all. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I’ll disagree with some of these statements about bad recruiting. Seth also came in fairly late during his first year of recruiting at NT. In addition, trying to recruit after just going 1-11, with mostly unfavorable relationships with most local HS Head Coaches. As if these aren’t tough to overcome, Seth’s inherited team were players that are running a Dan Mac 30 year old offensive scheme.... talk about a ton to overcome!!! No QB on campus that was worthy of a D1 program!!!

Considering all the above, Seth and Graham have done a tremendous job let’s not kid ourselves. It would have been extremely difficult to recruit, especially that first year and they got some studs in no time. Give these guys 3-4 more years with the best AD Wren Baker at the wheel, we have exciting times ahead!! Extremely thankful for our President, AD, Littrell and everyone of our coaches. Special times are closer then we all believe!  Go Mean Green! Love the heart and soul of Mason Fine as well. We are blessed to have a tremendous leader. Keep up with the investments in latest swag and facilities to recruit as well. Love what you are doing!! Go Mean Green, Sky is the Limit!! GMG

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 6

Yes, our future is bright, alright, MeanGreen01!👍👍

What do you think, Coach Bill Lewis?  Please, no more propaganda about UAB.🤮

I have many relatives in Alabama, but every time our Texas Family visited there,  I thought I was in a scene of “Grapes of Wrath.”  Just sayin’...

https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/11/29/in-wren-we-trust

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MeanGreen01 said:

I’ll disagree with some of these statements about bad recruiting. Seth also came in fairly late during his first year of recruiting at NT. In addition, , trying to recruit after just going 1-11, with mostly unfavorable relationships with most local HS Head Cosches, and on top having nothing but players that are running a Dan Macareny 30 year old offensive scheme.... talk about a ton of work!!! No QB on campus that was worth anything!!! This is what they had if we are real about it. Seth and Graham have done a tremendous job let’s not kid ourselves about how hard it would to Recruit, especially that first year and they got studs in no time. Give these guys 3-4 more years with the best AD Baker Wren at the wheel, we aren’t going to be able to believe how far this place can go!! Extremely thankful for our President, AD, And everyone of our coaches. Special times are closer then we all believe!  Go Mean Green! Love the heart and soul of Mason Fine as well. We are blessed to have a tremendous leader. And when keeping the needed investments in swag and faucilities to recruit. Love what you are doing!! Go Mean Green, Sky is the Limit!! GMG

And even on short term his first class was on par with classes 2 and 3....Actually, one was slightly better than his first class and one was worse. Recruiting up until this class has sucked. Let's put the sugar down. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

While all true...but when is enough ass whippings enough ass whippings. Year 4, 5, 6? While we can blame poor talent and recruiting classes....We just can't shrug with manila statements in we don't have the talent, because that is a burden of this staff as well. 

The nationally televised embarrassments have to stop. 

18 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I guess the downvoters don't think recruiting is the staffs job and they enjoy the curb stompings. 

Very well. 

This team may have only lost 4 games this year, but only received an "ass whipping" 1 of those times.  It's unfortunate that it came on the national stage to open the bowl season, but it still only happened 1 time.  Don't forget that this was the ONLY team in college football to NEVER trail by more than 1 possession through the ENTIRE regular season.  So as far as I'm concerned, the constant "curb stompings" and "ass whippings" have already stopped.  

Your comments on recruiting may have some merit.  I won't deny you that.  I'm looking forward to getting this class in.

• Upvote 2

There's only so much blame that should allowed to be placed on talent alone when explaining a 39 point loss, or allowing a 38-6 run after the 1st quarter.

52-13 is a score we would see in those LSU or OU money games. Utah State isn't that good and we aren't that bad.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

He has 1 good recruiting class yet to sign. We are getting pushed around by more physically imposing teams over the last 3 years because of the inability to recruit at a high level the first three classes. 

So we just tip our hat at this class coming in while trying to make amends for what took place yesterday, last December, this year vs Tech and UAB. When the simple and clear answer points to the first three classes.

Also to note, philosophically, we're always going to be a soft, finesse team. It's no fault of SL, It's the coaching tree he is sprung from. Yesterday vs USU, or any team like a 2017 Troy or 2018 UAB, will be a bad match up for a SL coached team. 

That is all. 

So what do you suggest? Fire Littrell and start over with another coach?

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

This team may have only lost 4 games this year, but only received an "ass whipping" 1 of those times.  It's unfortunate that it came on the national stage to open the bowl season, but it still only happened 1 time.  Don't forget that this was the ONLY team in college football to NEVER trail by more than 1 possession through the ENTIRE regular season.  So as far as I'm concerned, the constant "curb stompings" and "ass whippings" have already stopped.  

Your comments on recruiting may have some merit.  I won't deny you that.  I'm looking forward to getting this class in.

I was referring to this years bowl, last years bowl, last years CUSA champ game, last years opportunity to clinch CUSA champ game hosting rights, etc. The big games...the one's usually seen from coast to coast. 

2 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

So what do you suggest? Fire Littrell and start over with another coach?

All I am saying is that we can't compete with these teams because 1) his recruiting has not been good enough for 3 years 2) We are not a physical team. Had his recruiting been decent then we may have been able to go swing for swing with USU, Troy, 2017 FAU x2. But it's not. And people were pointing just that out in class 1, 2, and 3. But the rah-rah bunch with developmental BS on the mind came running to the defense. When you have classes ranked 8,9,10 in CUSA for 3 years running, you get beat on when your system can't overcompensate your talent like we saw Saturday and several times before. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This game reminded me of when we would win the SBC 1.0 and then got pounded by Colorado State and Southern Miss. We just weren't physically capable of playing with those teams at the lines.

Our scheme will never allow us to have dominant line play on the OL, as it depends on timing of the QB and his receivers. Just like Leach's teams always have. The problem with that is there is always somebody out there that has the athletes to stop your offense enough to pound you into oblivion. In Leach's glorious year at Tech in 2008, they still couldn't handle OU having better athletes on defense or Ole Miss' athletes on both sides of the ball. That doesn't mean he wasn't a great success, it just means that the style SL and the Leach acolytes use will always be susceptible to physical teams. Utah State looked like USM back in 2004 in the NO Bowl, where we literally couldn't handle anything they threw at us on either side of the ball. Mason Fine is awesome, but he wasn't going to make that game a helluva lot closer just because of that differential in talent and physicality.

11 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This game reminded me of when we would win the SBC 1.0 and then got pounded by Colorado State and Southern Miss. We just weren't physically capable of playing with those teams at the lines.

We were the more physical team against those teams.  Those teams out speeded us.  

I get talent. And Utah State was more talented no doubt.

But they pounded us with a coaching staff that consisted of 4 coaches and a bunch of GAs.

Who looked like the more prepared team? Look at the highlights of some of their TDs. Miscommunications in the secondary....CBs pointing at Safeties as their WR goes untouched. Our WRs were blanketed all game...their's were wide open. Which team was "the most excited to play?" It wasn't even close to how much better prepared they were than we were.

Yes Utah State is talented....and we were going to have to play a good game (and remain healthy) to beat them....but our intact coaching staff got destroyed 52-13 by 4 assistant coaches and some grad assistants