Is Mason Fine going to be OK ?

greenjoe

Like everyone else, I was very sorry to see Mason go out the first time.  He has been a pretty good runner in previous games and I've never heard of a hamstring problem.  Do you think the 2 week lay out caused his hammy to tighten up ?  He practiced every day.  I'm surprised to see this type of injury on a self-professed "gym rat."

Thanks for a great season.

GO MEAN GREEN

27 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

Like everyone else, I was very sorry to see Mason go out the first time.  He has been a pretty good runner in previous games and I've never heard of a hamstring problem.  Do you think the 2 week lay out caused his hammy to tighten up ?  He practiced every day.  I'm surprised to see this type of injury on a self-professed "gym rat."

Thanks for a great season.

GO MEAN GREEN

The team looked unorganized and out of shape yesterday. Injuries all around and bad snaps 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

You know it had to kill Mason not to be helping the team.  I think he comes back next year with a chip on his shoulder.  We may need our offense to outscore the other teams to win some games.

I saw him on the sidelines after he left the game with the injury.  He was understandably very emotional.  It warmed my heart to see many of his teammates consoling him and trying to cheer him up in a very difficult moment.

1 hour ago, edcollopy said:

The hammy was barking at him against utsa as well. Not a new injury 

Yeah. If you've ever had one, you know it can take a while to get over.  Good thing is that it's not an injury that has future impacts to performance (like a knee injury).  Now, if he had a history of this, I'd be concerned.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah. If you've ever had one, you know it can take a while to get over.  Good thing is that it's not an injury that has future impacts to performance (like a knee injury).  Now, if he had a history of this, I'd be concerned.

What causes hamstring injuries and what are the preventions to these injuries?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I saw him on the sidelines after he left the game with the injury.  He was understandably very emotional.  It warmed my heart to see many of his teammates consoling him and trying to cheer him up in a very difficult moment.

Hope he doesn’t become a career Marino.  He needs a title.

• Upvote 2

For you of you who have never pulled a hamstring, it hurts like hell, with the pain starting immediately, and for me, lasted about 6 weeks.  It was gutsy as hell for him to go back out there, knowing the kind of pain he was in, and the effect it would have on his mobility.  Then, to see him take the hits he did just makes you wish the guy a great o-line for Christmas.  

• Upvote 1

I love Mason. I think he is the best player here since Mean Joe. However, his size and durability have concerned me since day 1 when he came into the SMU game in 2016. The dude is small. We all know that. He can play with the best of them, but if we do not have an all conference O-Line, he is going to get killed like he did in this game and the FAU game. We were lucky he played most of 2017 injury free. I hope he bounces back and has a great offseason and senior year in 2019. However, any of our QBs after him all have some size on him. If Kason Martin can bulk up and build on the talent he has, I really think he can be a monster, up there with the production Fine has given. Beef up the O-Line too and man this could get scary. We have some work to do, but the future is bright. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Yeah. If you've ever had one, you know it can take a while to get over.  Good thing is that it's not an injury that has future impacts to performance (like a knee injury).  Now, if he had a history of this, I'd be concerned.

Tell that to Rico. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Tell that to Rico. 

Tell it to Jamario Thomas.  Kid was a stud until his hammy injury.  

• Upvote 3

Since he missed the last game, can we get a medical red shirt approved for another year of eligibility? Go the Stockstill route 

He meets the NCAA requirement:

• The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.

Maybe the NCAA will over look these requirements

• The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

He'll be fine. Hamstring injuries can linger for players like Rico or Jamario. Their position requires explosion and the hamstring in an intricate part to that. Fine will probably sit during Spring Ball or throw limited and will be 100% come Fall. He will have a full 8 to 9 months of no contact and taking care of himself to get it right. 

5 hours ago, risinggreen said:

Too little stretching, too much stretching, too tight from weight lifting/overuse, and genetics. Just my non-expert opinion.

Dehydration can be a cause.  Being at altitude can cause dehydration, so that could have been an issue.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2