0-4

MGNation92

16 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Littrell is now 0-4 in bowl/championship games.

He can't win the games he needs to win, and is often blown out in said games. 

I get that he's "changing the culture" but I'm getting kinda tired of getting bent over every time we have a big opportunity.

You can count 2016 UTEP (bowl elegibility) as well as what could have been division champ games in la tech/UAB. 

These are his 7 big games outside of SMU and he's 0-7. To be fair the 23-21 win in Ruston in 2017 that basically clinched the division was a big game as well...So, 1-7. If you count SMU, 2-9. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

In three of the four, we looked like we shouldn't have been on the field. We forced Army into overtime in the HOD bowl - pretty much the definition of evenly matched. 

We clearly need to improve, but we are also complaining about our post-season results when four years when we previously weren't even sniffing at getting to the post season. 

We have just had the best two seasons on success we've had in the last 40 years. Seth has built NT into a good program, but we aren't great yet. Seth still has a lot of work to do but that doesn't mean he hasn't done more than any coach in 40 years. He's got us about half way to where we need to be. 

5-7 in 2012...bowl "champs" with a 9-4 season in 2013 and then the wheels fell off. For records sake same kind of seasons as SL has provided. And who's to say the wheels won't starts squeaking next year with a 4-8 or 5-7 type performance? 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

I guess this is the glass half empty thread. I too am disappointed in our performance. It comes down to this. Our last two bowl opponents were simply better than us, especially on the O and D lines. We were getting manhandled at the point of attack all day and as we all know, that is where games are won and lost. Every team has injuries, but losing Easly, then English (again) and then Bussey hurt a lot.The bottom line is, we have to get bigger, faster and stronger across the line of scrimmage. We can have all the skill players we want, but if you don't have time to execute your plays, then forget it. Face it, Utah St. was a better team yesterday and probably everyday. Love had all day to stand there and find an open receiver. Our incoming recruiting class will help us achieve our goals and hopefully for years to come. 

Random thought; lets see how Texas fares against Georgia. That game could have a similar outcome.

• Upvote 7
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

I guess this is the glass half empty thread. I too am disappointed in our performance. It comes down to this. Our last two bowl opponents were simply better than us, especially on the O and D lines. We were getting manhandled at the point of attack all day and as we all know, that is where games are won and lost. Every team has injuries, but losing Easly, then English (again) and then Bussey hurt a lot.The bottom line is, we have to get bigger, faster and stronger across the line of scrimmage. We can have all the skill players we want, but if you don't have time to execute your plays, then forget it. Face it, Utah St. was a better team yesterday and probably everyday. Love had all day to stand there and find an open receiver. Our incoming recruiting class will help us achieve our goals and hopefully for years to come. 

Random thought; lets see how Texas fares against Georgia. That game could have a similar outcome.

Yeah once we lost Fine we were screwed,  and people forget that Utah was ranked as high as 13th or 14th with the highest scoring offense in college football. Our only shot was our best play out of Fine and the offense to get in a shootout.  But at the end of the day yhis year and last year we were well out matched with FAU, Troy, and Utah state. 

Unfortunately we got matched up against a team that is at the top tier this season and we are more in the middle of the pack. There were other bowl teams NT would have had a better showing against. I am glad we are not in the bottom tier.  You can say we looked bottom tier in that game but that’s not correct because the bottom tier is not in a game at this point.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, MattMakesLoans said:

Three straight bowl games and OP is complaining about an OT loss, losses to conference champs, and a loss to a ranked team.

Nobody likes to lose, but this team and program is headed in the right direction.  

You know, it's not even losing that's the issue.

It's the way we lose. We are completely outmatched in the trenches. Every. Single. Time. And is this program really headed in the right direction? Every QB we threw out their outside of Fine looked like a deer in headlights. That's terrifying, because realistically, without Fine, we're 6-6 at best.

We may be in for a very rough year next year. Offense can only carry you so far, just ask Kingsbury

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, MattMakesLoans said:

Three straight bowl games and OP is complaining about an OT loss, losses to conference champs, and a loss to a ranked team.

Nobody likes to lose, but this team and program is headed in the right direction.  

Agree with you, but wanting to get better and analyzing what we need to do is part of being a fan.  You can believe that the program is heading in the right direction and still look for areas of improvement.

10 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

Unfortunately we got matched up against a team that is at the top tier this season and we are more in the middle of the pack. There were other bowl teams NT would have had a better showing against. I am glad we are not in the bottom tier.  You can say we looked bottom tier in that game but that’s not correct because the bottom tier is not in a game at this point.

Yep

USU made us look like chumps 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

We saw the same thing last year.  We've run into two buzz saws with no name recognition, so your average college football fan thinks we are getting hammered by middling teams.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Agree with you, but wanting to get better and analyzing what we need to do is part of being a fan.  You can believe that the program is heading in the right direction and still look for areas of improvement.

Oh,
We absolutely must get better.   These cannot be "glory days".  Expectations have changed.   

But we cannot confuse "areas of improvement" with "this team sucks" and/or "our coach can never win a big game."

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh,
We absolutely must get better.   These cannot be "glory days".  Expectations have changed.   

But we cannot confuse "areas of improvement" with "this team sucks" and/or "our coach can never win a big game."

Okay how about this:

Our coach can't win big games because he can't make second half adjustments to save his life and hasn't recruited or developed well enough in the OL/DL to be truly elite. Areas of improvement

Is that better?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Okay how about this:

Our coach can't win big games because he can't make second half adjustments to save his life and hasn't recruited or developed well enough in the OL/DL to be truly elite. Areas of improvement

Is that better?

What does being elite have to do with not being able to win a bowl game VS a ranked team without your all-world QB?  We're obviously not elite (at the G5 level or anywhere), or even close.  That should not be the expectation... yet.  That is going to take longer than 3 seasons to build up to from 1-11.

Offensive gameplanning in 2nd halves are absolutely troubling, but I've also seen the team pour it on in the 2nd half as well.  We were in a dogfight with SoMiss & Rice at halftime of each game before running away in the 2nd half.  So it's not like we haven't seen this kind of adjustment successfully.
DL is fine, but I absolutely agree with OL development.    What's been difficult to watch is how good Woodworth was in 2016 (under Davis), and now he's lost with the rest of the OL.   That's certainly an area of improvement.

• Upvote 1

Fact of the matter...the team had the talent, even with subpar recruiting for 3 years, to be 11-2 this year...Maybe 12-1. This team, in comparison to our current peers, was an 11-2/12-1 team. Our coaches put our players in bad position to win in at least 2 games, and an argument could be made for 3 games. The expectations were not met. The standard of talent we have was not utilized in game. We let 3 teams snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. This. Is. On. This. Staff. I don't care about 1-11 in 2015. All I know is what I saw in 2018. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

SL and company have got to show they can coach the team up for a complete season, or it’s just much of the same. Part of the reason I thought we would go 8-4 during the regular season was because of this factor. It’s now been 3 seasons with late season struggles. Reminds me a lot of Fresno State under Pat Hill...

The schedule stiffens up a lot next year, much harder than it’s been. Getting to 8 wins will be doable, but it’ll be tough for sure. Beyond CUSA West play and SMU on the road, we add in MUTS, then UH, and at Cal. It’ll all depend on Fine staying healthy and seeing if this staff can actually keep the fires lit in November.

• Upvote 1