Cade Pearson

DeepGreen

He has already redshirted.  So the fact that he wasn't the automatic 3rd QB after Quinn doesn't look good for him.  I think the 2 guys who played today are better.  They showed their inexperience today but I think you saw the raw potential from both of them.  It is unfortunate that Guyton stopped on that route that lead to an interception.  I wanted to see a little more Bean.  Also that give up on the last drive made me sick.  Live action snap are priceless.  And you should try to end the game on a positive note.

• Upvote 3

I thought Bean and Martin both showed a lot of promise.  Big shoes to fill when that time comes but those were critical snaps for both.  I really really like Pearson a lot.  I prefer his personality to Martin and Bean but his skill set doesn’t appear to be what we need.  At Qb right now we need pocket mobility more than anything else, then quick release, good running ability and toughness.  We will see how it plays out.  I trust the staff but we’ve got to remember that a Mason Fine comes around once in a lifetime.  He’s our Major Applewhite, Johnny Football, Case Keenum and we’ve got to make sure he knows it.  Man is legendary.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

I thought Bean and Martin both showed a lot of promise.  Big shoes to fill when that time comes but those were critical snaps for both.  I really really like Pearson a lot.  I prefer his personality to Martin and Bean but his skill set doesn’t appear to be what we need.  At Qb right now we need pocket mobility more than anything else, then quick release, good running ability and toughness.  We will see how it plays out.  I trust the staff but we’ve got to remember that a Mason Fine comes around once in a lifetime.  He’s our Major Applewhite, Johnny Football, Case Keenum and we’ve got to make sure he knows it.  Man is legendary.  

Mason is an awesome player. And he very may well be once in a lifetime/generation. I do think we need to see a couple more QBs play in this system before stating that conclusively. It’s unlikely we find another QB that presents the type of awesome story Mason does.  Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m not willing to resign myself (yet) to a reality where we will never find someone that can match his production, as impressive as it is. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m not willing to resign myself (yet) to a reality where we will never find someone that can match his production, as impressive as it is. 

The fact that he became a starter the 2nd game of his true freshman season will make it incredibly difficult for succeeding QBs to match his career production.  And hopefully we're getting to a point where we have enough confidence in our QB room that we don't have to throw true freshmen QBs to the wolves like that anymore.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Mason is an awesome player. And he very may well be once in a lifetime/generation. I do think we need to see a couple more QBs play in this system before stating that conclusively. It’s unlikely we find another QB that presents the type of awesome story Mason does.  Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’m not willing to resign myself (yet) to a reality where we will never find someone that can match his production, as impressive as it is. 

Agreed. 

We run a system offense. Once an accurate QB gets his timing down and his confidence up he can produce. 

I will never concede that this is our peak. If it is, this is an anthill of a peak. 

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The fact that he became a starter the 2nd game of his true freshman season will make it incredibly difficult for succeeding QBs to match his career production.  And hopefully we're getting to a point where we have enough confidence in our QB room that we don't have to throw true freshmen QBs to the wolves like that anymore.

For sure. I don't care about career stats. Year over year production is what we need. I think either 5 or 17 can eventually provide said production. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Totally agree on career production. But there is absolutely no reason we cannot find another game changing QB once Mason moves on to bigger and better things. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

For sure. I don't care about career stats. Year over year production is what we need. I think either 5 or 17 can eventually provide said production. 

2 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Totally agree on career production. But there is absolutely no reason we cannot find another game changing QB once Mason moves on to bigger and better things. 

One bright spot in this bowl game was Kason's play.  He looked promising and poised for a true freshman.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think both young guns showed that can throw accurately, but both also showed that they don't always have the timing and all of the vision yet. I liked Martin a tiny bit better because he seemed more poised, but I'd say it will be a healthy competition that both can win. Not sure where Pearson is on that totem pole. With yet another talented QB coming in who also will be given a shot, and then likely another one in the class after that, he may have to transfer or move position. There may simply be to many numbers in the QB room  and there will be talent even after MF leaves and one has to wonder how many QBs you want to have on scholarship. Yesterday I would have gladly traded a QB spot for another OL recruit with a chance at developing.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1