DID YOU NOTICE?

meangreenbob

10 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

We were the team that played like we had just lost our Head Coach. Actions have consequences.

Our entire side of the stadium was talking about it. Got out classed by three assistant coaches, a JUCO assistant brought in this week and a bunch of grad assistants.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, NM Green said:

Litrell’s Flirt impacted the preparation of this team for sure. Lost like 10 days of focus that’s a big deal playing a top 25.

gmg

Not disagreeing.  But why did Utah State, who actually did lose their head coach, look far more focused and prepared?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

The certainty actually seemed better than the uncertainty. They knew what they had to do, dialed in and got it done. Unt seems to buckle under pressure a la old dominion and la tech. We handled pressure under bad Teams but if they were decent (odu questionable but did giant kill) - melt. It looked easy for usu, I mean really easy.

gmg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not disagreeing.  But why did Utah State, who actually did lose their head coach, look far more focused and prepared?

FYI, they've been to bowls 7 of the last 8 years.

This suggests that when you have a good system/program in place, you can play through staff turnover.

I'm not really surprised that UTST knew exactly how to handle things.  Just still frustrated at the whipping we took in the trenches.  We need to figure out recruiting there.  I'm not asking for all-world G5 recruits year-in-and-out, just some decent looking youth and depth that can help us compete for conference and bowl titles.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Just still frustrated at the whipping we took in the trenches.  We need to figure out recruiting there. 

Our incoming class is the best on paper we've had in the trenches in years.

Personally, I have to question our development in the trenches, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.  Our d-line looked atrocious at times today, but overall we've been pretty good there this season.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Call it the "June Jones Disorder"  Listen if a wife tells a husband over and over how much she love's him and then out of the blue gets up and runs off taking the kids with her for a taller better looking guy don't tell me it wouldn't affect you emotionally.

Likewise, if a coach tells 17-20 year old kids over and over again and again that they are family and then decides to not only walk out for a better family but also take their entire coaching staff with him as well, leaving them high and dry, I don't care who you are this will affect you emotionally. You may not believe it but it does and it will if you are human. The fact that it didn't come to fruition doesn't matter. The damage was done. The trust was broken. The family is broken and whether the trust will ever be restored is yet to be seen.

We played like a bunch of lost confused kids today and no one should hold them at fault. Period. I am very proud of our team!!!!

I hope we recover. Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

A couple of years ago, too lazy to look up the class but I think it was SL's first, we signed a bunch of OL's. Newman, Witherspoon, etc that were supposed to be good. None have panned out from that class for various reasons and we seem to struggle recruiting that position now outside of a few.   We now end up with taller OL's that are light and don't seem to add the necessary weight, Parrish, Brammer, etc...  Just my observation, but hoping incoming freshmen are the answer is a dangerous game to play. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

Just Chasing Rabbits

❇️ First of all:  Kudos to all Mean Green fans who were at this bowl game today.  Y’all looked darn good on TV & were the best part of this game today; especially those from  DFW who made the 9 hour drive. Impressive.

(1) After the Arkansas win with all the national publicity from the fake Fair catch I think Littrell’s sports agent’s put it in overdrive with his job to get SL a new gig.  Overall team play seemed to go south soon after that trip to Fayetteville, then the LaTech loss was a major kick in the gut.  

(2). Today?  We’re not ready for prime time Top 25 competition & others close to such rankings.  • SL needs 3 strong recruiting classes in a row with more speed to even compete for a CUSA championship.  Linemen?  Can we pray for recruiting miracles?  Has Fine played behind even 1 All CUSA lineman yet?  

UNT can’t keep waiting for the conference we’re in to be down in overall quality before we can win a championship. Last year (2017)  FAU set a new standard of speed & strength that in CUSA was not duplicated this year—not even by UAB or....FAU.

(3) Today? Our franchise QB & best receiver out with hamstrings😳 dramatically reduced our chances to be competitive or have a chance to pull an upset.  Not sure we win with both in but the final score I believe would have been much closer.  Some were not that impressed with USU’s QB compared to Fine when he’s mobile & on his game.

❇️ Turn off the lights for 2018, and without using the “P” or “M”  word our upside is still so much brighter than it’s ever been.  

GMG!A6417D2E-89D5-4E6C-BF9F-7D4EDFDAC4D7.jpeg.faf7f72e0bf61640158fc4cf8f4a0f34.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5

15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Our entire side of the stadium was talking about it. Got out classed by three assistant coaches, a JUCO assistant brought in this week and a bunch of grad assistants.

Rick

Others are talking about it, too. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/utah-state-vs-north-texas-score-aggies-tie-school-record-for-wins-with-skeleton-coaching-staff/

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

So we go into the game underdogs to a Top 25 team.  Everyone I read said it would be a shootout type game with the defenses struggling to stop the offenses.  Then we find out our leading receiver is out before the game starts, and our high profile, stat leading QB goes out in the first quarter.  So now our defense will struggle even more, because our offense won’t stay on the field to give them a break.  

Winning would have been a stretch anyway, but everyone acts like we still should have gone toe-to-toe with a Top 25 team with our offensive all-stars on the sidelines.  I love that expectations have risen so much, and it was a frustrating day, but the sky isn’t falling.  We DO need help in the trenches on both sides.  

The last 3 years have given a new era of students a reason to become lifelong fans.  Let’s continue to build this thing. 

Go Mean Green!!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

17 hours ago, greenminer said:

FYI, they've been to bowls 7 of the last 8 years.

This suggests that when you have a good system/program in place, you can play through staff turnover.

I'm not really surprised that UTST knew exactly how to handle things.  Just still frustrated at the whipping we took in the trenches.  We need to figure out recruiting there.  I'm not asking for all-world G5 recruits year-in-and-out, just some decent looking youth and depth that can help us compete for conference and bowl titles.

This has been and still is our biggest problem for as long as I can remember.  Short-handed, smallish, light, in most cases.  And not enough personnel.  I mean, how many 5-6"(or less), 160 pound defensive backs do we need on the roster?