Our players were not game day ready!

TCC Mean Green

They were not ready. Doubt NT would have won had they been ready, but we don't know for sure as they were woefully not ready. Hard not to wonder what the whole coaching dalliance with other schools did to both the coaches preparation and the players heads.

Finals week probably also did not help (I don't know when USU has theirs, may also have been this week).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I wonder about all those injuries, could they have been a delaying tactic by NT?  Yes, I know many were legit; but there were also a bunch were the players quickly returned to the field. 

You get tired you get hurt. Altitude makes a difference! Maybe should of gone up earlier or plan for substitutions! 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We’re y’all watching the same game as me?

I imagine UTSt likely would have looked like us if Love went down in the 1st quarter instead of Fine.

I guess not.  Utah State pretty much dominated the game from the beginning.  And that blowout came down to far more than the difference in QB play between Love and our QB subs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

You get tired you get hurt. Altitude makes a difference! Maybe should of gone up earlier or plan for substitutions! 

I agree. The altitude thing is a real thing. I expected them to lose because I didn't think they could overcome the altitude change. I did not expect them to be blown off the field.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I guess not.  Utah State pretty much dominated the game from the beginning.  And that blowout came down to far more than the difference in QB play between Love and our QB subs.

Bull.. Qb play made the difference, our D was gassed! How many 3rd down conversions did we make? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Bull.. Qb play made the difference, our D was gassed! How many 3rd down conversions did we make? 

How many 3rd down conversions did we make when Mason was still in?

And he converted zero first downs via pass completions.

And I'm sure our D was just "gassed" when they gave up 75 yards the first 3 plays of the game.

The better team won, no doubt.  But we failed to play our best game in any facet.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

How many 3rd down conversions did we make when Mason was still in?

And he converted zero first downs via pass completions.

And I'm sure our D was just "gassed" when they gave up 75 yards the first 3 plays of the game.

The better team won, no doubt.  But we failed to play our best game in any facet.

Gassed is based off the number of times you are on the field! 72 TD bomb gassed nobody because nobody covered the damn guy! Tough to run a spred when you have a qb that can’t throw! All of TT QBs can throw!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We’re y’all watching the same game as me?

I imagine UTSt likely would have looked like us if Love went down in the 1st quarter instead of Fine.

Love wasn’t asked to carry the load.  He had backs to hand off to mixed in, wheel routes, screens etc.  We rarely got a hand on him because we had to cover their back.  USU actually uses their backs and tight ends.  

Rick

• Downvote 3

Logan, UT is at an elevation of 9,710 feet above SL. Albuquerque is at an elevation 5312 feet above SL. Denton is at 640 feet above SL. I think if you take two evenly matched teams or maybe one is slightly better than the other. The one that is slightly better comes from Logan the other comes from Denton. They meet in Albuquerque. That team coming from Denton will be gassed in the first few minutes. The team from Logan will feel like they have oxygen for days. I believe that happened here. Three days is not enough time to acclimate to that elevation change. I had the same thing happen to me. I arrived in Bagram AB Afghanistan. Felt okay. One week later they move us to the mountains at FOB Airborne. I thought I was going to die running 100 yards with no load. After three months there, we close that FOB and went to TB Dwyer which was a change of about 5000 feet. I thought I could run forever. I had not run a 5:30 mile in years, but I did after being at that altitude and coming down 5000 feet. I am not saying we would have won, but I am convinced that change in altitude crushed us. If Utah was coming from somewhere around 640 feet above SL like Denton, then this would be embarrassing.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Gave up a big play.  Bounced back & scored.  14-7 when Mason went out...  Then the snowball started with TOs & inability to move the ball.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Wag Tag said:

Gassed is based off the number of times you are on the field! 72 TD bomb gassed nobody because nobody covered the **** guy! 

I know what gassed means--I was making a point to show you that being "gassed" was not the D's only problem.  And it certainly wasn't Quinn Shanbour's or Jason Bean's fault that our D failed to cover the guy.  Ultimately, that falls on the coaches.

When Mason was in, we went 3 and out, 5 and out, then had a TD drive that was made possible only because of 2 stupid 15-yard penalties.  With or without Mason, we are not truly competitive in this game.

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

All of TT QBs can throw!

🤔

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gave up a big play.  Bounced back & scored.  14-7 when Mason went out...  Then the snowball started with TOs & inability to move the ball.

We were fortunate that they handed us the opportunity to score.

Mason only averaged 4.9 yards per attempt.

If Mason stays healthy and in the game, I think it ends up closer than it did.  But it's still not particularly close.

9 minutes ago, Venson said:

Logan, UT is at an elevation of 9,710 feet above SL. Albuquerque is at an elevation 5312 feet above SL. Denton is at 640 feet above SL. I think if you take two evenly matched teams or maybe one is slightly better than the other. The one that is slightly better comes from Logan the other comes from Denton. They meet in Albuquerque. That team coming from Denton will be gassed in the first few minutes. The team from Logan will feel like they have oxygen for days. I believe that happened here. Three days is not enough time to acclimate to that elevation change. I had the same thing happen to me. I arrived in Bagram AB Afghanistan. Felt okay. One week later they move us to the mountains at FOB Airborne. I thought I was going to die running 100 yards with no load. After three months there, we close that FOB and went to TB Dwyer which was a change of about 5000 feet. I thought I could run forever. I had not run a 5:30 mile in years, but I did after being at that altitude and coming down 5000 feet. I am not saying we would have won, but I am convinced that change in altitude crushed us. If Utah was coming from somewhere around 640 feet above SL like Denton, then this would be embarrassing.

Logan UT is 4500 feet above sea level. Nice excuse though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Logan UT is 4500 feet above sea level. Nice excuse though. 

Good catch. I copied the elevation of Mount Logan. Either way, they were playing at an elevation that they are fairly comfortable with. North Texas was not. It was not an excuse for them getting beat, I just think it had a lot to do with how badly they were beaten.

52 minutes ago, Venson said:

The altitude didn’t crush us on the third play of the game.

Rick