***OFFICIAL 2018 New Mexico Bowl Game Thread***

RiseUNT

3 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Yes... most of the bitterness came from a selfish place.

Heres a question... Seeing how this game could goes.  Maybe a potential interview for the Mountain West.  Would you want to hop in that conference if they take notice? 

I doubt an invitation comes, but if it does, and the AAC isn't looking to expand, ABSOLUTELY.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I doubt an invitation comes, but if it does, and the AAC isn't looking to expand, ABSOLUTELY.

As long as SMU is in the AAC.  We won't be in it.  

I think this game has a little more weight to it than what appears on the surface.  If we are wanting to grow... heading west might be how we do it (See TCU going to MW).

So, I imagine the Athletic Dept wants a good showing for a game out west

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Yes... most of the bitterness came from a selfish place.

Heres a question... Seeing how this game could go.  Maybe a potential interview for the Mountain West.  Would you want to hop in that conference if they take notice? 

I only want to go if we can move with several Texas institutions west. Even though the status of CUSA has taken a hit I enjoy being in a conference with other Texas schools

• Upvote 6

Just say NO to the MWC.  No travel partners, no other Texas teams and terrible travel and time zone issues.  Many folks are talking on here about not going to Albuquerque for the bowl game because of expense.  Well, what do you think about the costs of traveling further than Albuquerque for every conference away game???? I'd rather stay in CUSA if the AAC isn't going to expand and invite UNT than go to the MWC. For me a slam dunk.  I HATE the idea of possibly joining the MWC. Hate it I tell you!!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, KRAM1 said:

Just say NO to the MWC.  No travel partners, no other Texas teams and terrible travel and time zone issues.  Many folks are talking on here about not going to Albuquerque for the bowl game because of expense.  Well, what do you think about the costs of traveling further than Albuquerque for every conference away game???? I'd rather stay in CUSA if the AAC isn't going to expand and invite UNT than go to the MWC. For me a slam dunk.  I HATE the idea of possibly joining the MWC. Hate it I tell you!!!!

So what would you think if we moved along with Rice, UTSA (eww) and UTEP? Basically if we moved all Texas teams... not saying it will ever happen but does it change your view?

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

So what would you think if we moved along with Rice, UTSA (eww) and UTEP? Basically if we moved all Texas teams... not saying it will ever happen but does it change your view?

I think it depends, does the MWC drop other teams for us and, if so, who? What would scheduling and travel be like? At that point, with those teams, does the MWC still look so much more appealing than CUSA?

College Football News showing us some love ... Pete Fiutak has the Orange Bowl #1 (of course ... it's Oklahoma vs. Alabama) but look who he has #2!  (Yes, over the Cotton Bowl, the Sugar Bowl, Rose Bowl, etc).  Can't read his mind but from his blurb it sounds like our early kickoff actually HELPS us in the rankings, not penalizes us like some of us were thinking.  This is awesome!

2. Gildan New Mexico Bowl

Saturday, December 15
2:00, ESPN, Branch Field at Dreamstyle Stadium, Albuquerque, NM
North Texas vs. Utah State

Even with Utah State head coach Matt Wells off to Texas Tech, this should be a wild and crazy shootout. This is how you want to kickoff a bowl season with lots of points and plenty of big plays.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/12/how-good-is-your-bowl-ranking-the-bowls-from-worst-matchup-to-best/4

• Upvote 2

On 12/10/2018 at 8:20 AM, MrStrange18 said:

As long as SMU is in the AAC.  We won't be in it.  

I think this game has a little more weight to it than what appears on the surface.  If we are wanting to grow... heading west might be how we do it (See TCU going to MW).

So, I imagine the Athletic Dept wants a good showing for a game out west

Well they may not have a football program much longer sooooo...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

The dissatisfaction of their fans compared to the large amounts of money they spend on the program.  Have you been on ponyfans lately?  All they do is crap talk about their team.

They've got too many rich alumni gripping onto the past to let go of their baby.

If their ship is sinking, they'll dump whatever money they need to right it.

5 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

The dissatisfaction of their fans compared to the large amounts of money they spend on the program.  Have you been on ponyfans lately?  All they do is crap talk about their team.

Haha. Ponyfans has been that way for years.