***OFFICIAL 2018 New Mexico Bowl Game Thread***

RiseUNT

Of all the bowls we could have gone to, I think this is the best opponent we could play. I know it isn't the name brand P5 team we wanted to play. But I think beating a ranked team is better, in my opinion, than beating a 6-6 P5 team. Would be a huge feather in our cap.

That would only enhance our recruiting ability. SL could lay out the following when talking to kids on the fence: 1) CFB Play of the Year 2) Beat a SEC team (even though it was lowly Arkansas) 3)Win a bowl against a ranked opponent. Screw best CUSA recruiting class, we could target best of G5.

Edited by CarmanSandiego
  • Upvote 3

Just now, CarmanSandiego said:

Of all the bowls we could have gone to, I think this is the best opponent we could play. Would be a huge feather in our cap if we can pull out the win against a ranked opponent.

I don't know how Cincy was ranked back when we beat them in the bowl under Dickey.  Certainly beating a USU squad would be up in that level of bowl wins or perhaps higher.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I don't know how Cincy was ranked back when we beat them in the bowl under Dickey.  Certainly beating a USU squad would be up in that level of bowl wins or perhaps higher.

I think a win over Utah State (MWC) would be a statement win.  Not sure but I don't think Cincy was ranked the time we played.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

LB David Woodward, Utah State

Yet another breakout athlete, Woodward played a mediocre 248 snaps in 2017, but he finished the 2018 regular season as the highest-graded linebacker in the nation and a PFF All-American. He has been a tackling machine -- missing only three of his 111 attempts -- while proving to be a force in the run game, where his 92.6 grade is tied for third among linebackers. ...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/25454579/college-football-10-hidden-stars-2018-season

• Upvote 2

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/12/7/18126662/reunited-in-the-new-mexico-bowl-a-brief-history-of-north-texas-vs-utah-state-aggies-mean-green

Though the schools haven’t met on the field in 14 years, their pasts remain intertwined. The programs from the last meeting would not recognize the 2018 version of themselves

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

What do we know about USU's coaching situation? Wells took a LOT of the staff to Lubbock, are some/any of them staying to coach the bowl game? I haven't seen any new hires yet, so what are we facing here?

They have a set practice schedule and initial game plan but I think the qbs coach will be the man. 

On 12/7/2018 at 1:34 PM, RiseUNT said:

Since we finally know what Seth is doing and unlike Kstate we get excited about bowl wins let's combine all the bowl talk.

I know some of yall are down about this bowl selection but I'm excited.

I am excited too on who we are playing but it is the distance and cost. Making a trip from SA to Albuquerque is expensive. But that is just the way it goes.

I have a confession... 

I was super bitter about getting this bowl game when it was first announced.

Now, I am excited about it.  Great opponent, great destination for our kids to experience.  The potential for recognition with a win is through the roof.

I am sad I will not be able to attend because of where it is, but I will be cheering loud from DFW!

GO MEAN GREEN!

THE SHOW GOES ON!

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

I have a confession... 

I was super bitter about getting this bowl game when it was first announced.

Now, I am excited about it.  Great opponent, great destination for our kids to experience.  The potential for recognition with a win is through the roof.

I am sad I will not be able to attend because of where it is, but I will be cheering loud from DFW!

GO MEAN GREEN!

THE SHOW GOES ON!

Agreed I was mad about this bowl at first and mostly for selfish reasons because I can’t attend. But it’s a good bowl vs a quality opponent and the watch party will be a blast! GMG! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Agreed I was mad about this bowl at first and mostly for selfish reasons because I can’t attend. But it’s a good bowl vs a quality opponent and the watch party will be a blast! GMG! 

Yes... most of the bitterness came from a selfish place.

Heres a question... Seeing how this game could go.  Maybe a potential interview for the Mountain West.  Would you want to hop in that conference if they take notice? 

Edited by MrStrange18
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1