8 team playoff gaining traction

GMG_Dallas

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Article states the ball could get rolling on this as soon as January 7th and that several people involved want this implemented soon. I want to applaud West Virginia president for recognizing the committee's arrogance regarding UCF and the G5.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2810445-college-footballs-influential-voices-ready-to-discuss-8-team-playoff-format.amp.html

"An eight-team CFP could include automatic bids for the Power Five conference champions, as well as three at-large bids, with one of those potentially guaranteed to a Group of Five school like UCF.

West Virginia president E. Gordon Gee told The Athletic he doesn't think college football should wait for the ESPN contract to expire before making alterations to the system.

"I also want to be very clear: I think that there's arrogance of us not taking a look at someone like the University of Central Florida, just saying, 'Well, they're not worthy of it,'" Gee said. "Maybe they are worthy of it based upon a number of considerations that need to be taken into account.""

Not the tune Gee sang in the past 

7 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Not the tune Gee sang in the past 

Honestly made me wonder if he's saying that just to to gain support for the idea of an 8 team playoff. I really don't care about the motive if it happens. An automatic bid for the highest ranked G5 would be great.

Edit: support for an 8 team playoff because at this point every president and AD at a school not in the SEC and not one of the traditional blue bloods should want to expand the playoff. The "smaller" P5 schools are still getting shafted from a competition standpoint.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

This has to happen to make G5 relevent.  The path to break up the P5 monopoly would be difficult & include many lawyers, but when each Big 12 school receives about $33 million in TV monies annually while G5’s are too embarrassed to say how small their take is—something’s got to give.  The 8 team playoff could be that.

If UT & OU vault from the Big 12 it’s leftover schools may some day face many of the things G5’s face now but (probably) not as $evere.

E73DD955-76B7-49BD-B6D5-DB23FADEF7D2.jpeg.ef993a02480f1d824e97c2c91f59b369.jpeg

Craig Way & Bill Mercer from a pic I took at our 1985 Homecoming.

• I had won the silent auction bid to be in the press box at half time at a Dallas Mean Green Club gathering planned by Jim Hobdy (drex).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Article states the ball could get rolling on this as soon as January 7th and that several people involved want this implemented soon. I want to applaud West Virginia president for recognizing the committee's arrogance regarding UCF and the G5.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2810445-college-footballs-influential-voices-ready-to-discuss-8-team-playoff-format.amp.html

"An eight-team CFP could include automatic bids for the Power Five conference champions, as well as three at-large bids, with one of those potentially guaranteed to a Group of Five school like UCF.

West Virginia president E. Gordon Gee told The Athletic he doesn't think college football should wait for the ESPN contract to expire before making alterations to the system.

"I also want to be very clear: I think that there's arrogance of us not taking a look at someone like the University of Central Florida, just saying, 'Well, they're not worthy of it,'" Gee said. "Maybe they are worthy of it based upon a number of considerations that need to be taken into account.""

“Potentially”.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This HAS TO HAPPEN.   
It still gives 2 at larges to ACC/SEC teams that the "committee" can still argue over, but it makes sure the weak PAC12 has a representative, and the best of the G5 has a shot.   I think that's more than fair.

I don't give a rats was if the SEC gets 7 spots as long qs the G5 gets an automatic qualifier and it needs to be a spot seeded in the top 6 since along with the P5 conference champs.

2 hours ago, gruu said:

< 16 = more BS

Baby steps.    They will never go directly from 4 to 12 or 16.   Going to 8 would be a fantastic step in the right direction.   Giving 1 of the 8 slots (guaranteed) to a G5 school would be absolutely huge, because it creates less of a perceptual separation between the have and have not conferences.

Cross your fingers that they go to 8 ASAP.  It would be a great thing.

• Upvote 3

There is nothing on this planet I hate more than the invisible line between the P5 and G5, except maybe cats. Cats are pricks. If your "subdivision" has 10 conferences, the 10 conference champs should play it off to determine the national champ. Not rocket surgery. If that seems ridiculous, then the invisible line between P5 and G5 perhaps should become a real line and a new "subdivision" should be created where the G5 schools have our own national championship.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

The P5's are almost guaranteed 7 out of 8 spots and fans of G5 think it is fair.  The top half gets 7 and the designated bottom half of the football world is elated to get one place.

This still will gets lots of opposition as many think that there are no worthy G5's and even some of those P5 conferences are not good enough to get a guaranteed spot.  

• Upvote 1

I just heard Chuck Cooperstein talking about it and he said there would need to be a stipulation of some sort where the G5 school basically had to have 2 losses or less.  While it irritated me at first, the more I thought about it the more I realized that ALL of the teams in an 8 team playoff should have 2 losses or less.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really don't want this to happen.  I like the bowls.  To me simplest fairest compromise that preserves the heighten importantance of the regular season and conference championships is Bowls Plus 4 arrangement.   Play all the bowls.  Best bowl choices go to conference champions.  Top four ranked Bowl winners play in the playoff.  I don't want to end up with a scenario where late season match up between 2 high rank teams from the same conference has no big consequences.   For instance this year OSU vs Michigan would have meaningless.  Also the loser  of Alabama vs Georgia would have been guaranteed a playoff birth.  (Also this year you could argue that loser of OSU vs Michigan was better positioned for the playoff because they did not have to risk losing to a mediocre Northwestern in the Championship.)

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

There is nothing on this planet I hate more than the invisible line between the P5 and G5, except maybe cats. Cats are pricks. If your "subdivision" has 10 conferences, the 10 conference champs should play it off to determine the national champ. Not rocket surgery. If that seems ridiculous, then the invisible line between P5 and G5 perhaps should become a real line and a new "subdivision" should be created where the G5 schools have our own national championship.

Don't cut my rocket please

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

The P5's are almost guaranteed 7 out of 8 spots and fans of G5 think it is fair.  The top half gets 7 and the designated bottom half of the football world is elated to get one place.

I will be 100% satisfied if the G5 gets 1 guaranteed spot. Why? Because it means every year the G5 gets at least 1 opportunity to disrupt the P5 party. Boise State, TCU (pre Big 12), UCF... There are championship worthy G5 teams every year. It's just about getting invited to the show. Get a guaranteed spot, regularly beat some P5 ass, and make up ground. It's about baby steps and it's quite frankly one of the best opportunities to make some noise due to it being the biggest stage. UCF would have caused problems last year and, were there an 8 team playoff this year, would be flat out better than every P5 team in the playoff except for Alabama. OU and Clemson would be tough matchups and I think they would beat Notre Dame.

Baby steps.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

If they expand to 8, it’ll be their own. This party ain’t getting bigger, it’s gonna get smaller.

As the poster mentioned above, those schools in the Power 5 leagues need to be separated from the rest. Their budgets and their fanbases are just a lot larger than ours because of these advantages. The talent on the roster between us and Tech, for example, isn’t gigantic, by their TV and conference money is. So when you play them, in today’s world, not like it was 20 years ago, you are really taking on a program that has tilted the field heavily in their way. That the NCAA allows the G5’s to never get to compete for a national championship in football is just unfair, but none of the G5’s will ever disturb this apple cart because it’s the food chain they want to move upward on as coaches and administrators and they like that P5 bodybag game(s) to pay their budgets with rather easily.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2