For the drivers, weather concerns?

Got5onIt

We are heading out Thursday after work and staying in Amarillo for the night, then driving to ABQ Friday morning for the night, and back to Amarillo at some point after the game for the night. All I saw tonight on the forecast was a high wind advisory for both Amarillo and ABQ currently/on Thursday. No snow/precipitation. WFAA reported yesterday that there is likely to be some “wintry” mix coming through the DFW area on Thursday/Friday, so I think the earliest people can head out of town, the better, to avoid that mess. It gets down to the 30’s in Amarillo and ABQ (sometimes 20’s this time of year) at night, so it will be chilly, but nothing messy. 

Game Day should be in the low/mid-50’s, so it will be a little chilly, but should be a sunny day for some good football. Regardless of any weather, we are powering through (after we swing by Buccee’s in Denton on our way).

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jessica M Hall said:

We are heading out Thursday after work and staying in Amarillo for the night, then driving to ABQ Friday morning for the night, and back to Amarillo at some point after the game for the night. All I saw tonight on the forecast was a high wind advisory for both Amarillo and ABQ currently/on Thursday. No snow/precipitation. WFAA reported yesterday that there is likely to be some “wintry” mix coming through the DFW area on Thursday/Friday, so I think the earliest people can head out of town, the better, to avoid that mess. It gets down to the 30’s in Amarillo and ABQ (sometimes 20’s this time of year) at night, so it will be chilly, but nothing messy. 

Game Day should be in the low/mid-50’s, so it will be a little chilly, but should be a sunny day for some good football. Regardless of any weather, we are powering through (after we swing by Buccee’s in Denton on our way).

Buccee’s for some beaver nuggets?

• Upvote 2

I live in Amarillo and we are expecting tropical storm force winds tomorrow (Thursday). Sustained at 30-40mph with possible gusts to 70. Friday through the weekend will be nice so no travel concerns at that point. 

If anyone needs anything or recommendations once you are in Amarillo, shoot me a DM, I’d be happy help. 

In addition to Chillicothe, slow down in Estelline as well. There’s always a cop or two hanging out.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreengdub said:

I posted last night about the wind...its definitely here this morning. If you're driving through Amarillo today, be careful around high profile vehicles. This wind is stupid.

How high are the gusts?  They are predicting 60 mph gusts here in Midland for tonight.

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How high are the gusts?  They are predicting 60 mph gusts here in Midland for tonight.

They said between 60-70. I've actually got a weather station in my backyard and have recorded 41 as the high so far.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 10:13 AM, Huff said:

If you are driving to the game via US 287 to Amarillo, please SLOW DOWN going through Chillicothe, Texas.   They have a little speed trap there that has financed their local government for many years.

Oh please.  As someone who drives through there regularly, its not hard to see them if you're paying attention. 

And by "paying attention" I mean driving with your eyes open. There's only a couple of spots that they sit running traffic on 287. 

Edited by Rudy
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Drove over last night...the severe wind really started to hit in New Mexico, but we hit a mini blizzard and drove about 25 mph for 2 hours...not even sure it's related.  And I hope the team is doing a little conditioning. We're at around 11-12k and the elevation is a whipping. 

Albuquerque is only about 5,200 in elevation. It’s a change. But not extreme. Unfortunately Logan UT is at 4,500 so it’s advantage USU for that. 

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

Oh please.  As someone who drives through there regularly, its not hard to see them if you're paying attention. 

And by "paying attention" I mean driving with your eyes open. There's only a couple of spots that they sit running traffic on 287. 

so they have moved, I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's Estelline always had a Cop sitting in town ready to nail travelers, but he was a super nice guy. 

Edited by untbowler