Official Utah State - New Mexico Bowl - Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

And just like that, after a whirlwind season that saw the Mean Green start out strong, then run into some serious struggles within conference play, a 9-3 Mean Green squad squares off with a 10-2 Utah State team in the North Tex  -  NO!  -  The New Mexico Boooowlll.

The Aggies were only a few points away in their final MWC game VS Boise St from going to the MWC Championship, which they likely would have won.  This is a VERY GOOD team.

However...  a vacuum was introduced to their lockerroom when coach Wells took the TXTech job.   How will that impact their players?   How will it impact playcalling/execution/game mgmt with interim coaches on the sideline?

Can coach Harrell figure out some in-game adjustments to exploit the UTSt defense?
Can coach Reff come up with a gameplan to stop this high-powered offense?
Can coach Biagi reach into his bag of tricks for a spectacular play on STs?

I think the Mean Green Seniors & Juniors have a nasty taste in their mouths from their lack of Bowl success.   The drive to finish off the season with a win, rather than a 3rd straight disappointment will fuel them in this game.
Hedlund enjoys kicking in the altitude & nails a 50+yarder.
Mason goes for over 300yds.
Darden is the WR the Aggies forget about while working to contain Bussey & Guyton, and he torches them for over 100yds.
Torrey puts the team on his back in the 4th quarter... again.

Gimme a Mean Green upset in this one.

North Texas - 34
Utah State - 28

• Upvote 3

It’s hard to judge how the team will do. USU is extremely better than every team that beat us this year.

As we know we didn’t exactly lose those games because of talent. I think our only hope is that we come out energized from all the coaching drama and feel like we have something to prove. I’m also a little worried about the elevation, though it’s hard to judge the impact that will have on twenty year olds in good shape.

USU - 42

UNT - 28

I hope I’m wrong

22 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

It’s hard to judge how the team will do. USU is extremely better than every team that beat us this year.

As we know we didn’t exactly lose those games because of talent. I think our only hope is that we come out energized from all the coaching drama and feel like we have something to prove. I’m also a little worried about the elevation, though it’s hard to judge the impact that will have on twenty year olds in good shape.

USU - 42

UNT - 28

I hope I’m wrong

we need to play a balanced game and don't let the defense stay on the field too long.  With their conditioning, if we can do that the altitude should not bother us. Hope they have oxygen on the sidelines for the players.  We have to slow their offense down.  I with you on the pick though.  44-28 bad guys.   I am not sure who will be calling the plays for them this game but this late in the season their team knows what to do unless we can throw them off balance somehow.

5 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

we need to play a balanced game and don't let the defense stay on the field too long.  With their conditioning, if we can do that the altitude should not bother us. Hope they have oxygen on the sidelines for the players.  We have to slow their offense down.  I with you on the pick though.  44-28 bad guys.   I am not sure who will be calling the plays for them this game but this late in the season their team knows what to do unless we can throw them off balance somehow.

Yost, their OC for the past few seasons, was allowed to stick around for the Bowl game & will be calling plays.   

He's a Gary Pinkle disciple, but spent 3 years at Wazzu as a WRs coach with Leach, so he's going to be a pretty well-rounded coach with his very own style.

Goofy looking dude:
4b_Yost_David_Assistant_.jpg?width=300

harry-dunne-jeff-daniels-film-dumb--dumb

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yost, their OC for the past few seasons, was allowed to stick around for the Bowl game & will be calling plays.   

He's a Gary Pinkle disciple, but spent 3 years at Wazzu as a WRs coach with Leach, so he's going to be a pretty well-rounded coach with his very own style.

Goofy looking dude:
4b_Yost_David_Assistant_.jpg?width=300

harry-dunne-jeff-daniels-film-dumb--dumb

thumb_look-at-them-sideburns-goods-he-looks-like-a-girl-17687541.png.43d9101ee3fc66d306aaa2b98a882619.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Logan, Utah   4,534' above sea level

Alburqerque, NM  5,312' above sea level

Denton, Tx     640' above sea level

I hear 'ya! I've been wondering about the team travel schedule and whether they will go to Albuquerque a day early, just to help get acclimated.  That seems a prudent thing to do.

This game has been hard for me to come up with a prediction.  Too many variables in the mix for me.

At the end of the day, I believe in the Mean Green to git 'er done.

Mean Green Eagles        37

Nasty Blue Maggies       31

Mark it down!