New Mexico (12/18/18)

Philip Ferguson

Somehow, even with all of the turnovers, this team seems very poised and able to control the pace of games.  Every time UNM started to creep back into the game we'd respond with a run---usually sparked by a drive and layup by Woolridge.  Woolridge, in particular, has really matured these past couple of years.

This is a really fun team to watch.

I got to go to the game last night.  At least I got to see 1 Mean Green win in NM!

What a great basketball atmosphere.  I'd love to see our Super Pit as full/engaged as theirs.  Great community involvement & great fans.

Trading runs back & forth throughout the game was nerve-wracking.  And it seemed like every time UNM would go on a run, they'd start applying backcourt pressure & traps.   When they did, the place erupted.  With a loud atmosphere & that much defensive aggression, a lesser team would definitely have turned the ball over more or caved completely... but oddly enough, it was the same trap over & over, beaten by us the same way over & over.  Woolridge & Miller, or Woolridge & Duffy handled it beautifully pretty much every time.  Pace was fully-dictated by the Mean Green, we had 4 or 5 shot clock violations slowing the game down.

Seemed like any time we needed a big bucket to stop their runs, it was Miller Time.   And despite being much taller than our guys overall, our zone was impenetrable, and if they happened to get in, help was always there to disrupt the shot.   Fantastic defensive effort by the Mean Green!

Looking forward to conference play!

I think with this win it's fair to ask:  Can we win 30 games this year?

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

The Super Pit would still be there and I imagine if we ever needed more than 7,000 seats we would move the game.

It's not the size that I am questioning.  The SuperPit is kinda timeless.  I've been to several other college basketball arenas through the years, and it doesn't seem out of date to me.  I mean maybe if I was comparing it to the Dean Dome it might, but I'm not.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CMJ said:

It's not the size that I am questioning.  The SuperPit is kinda timeless.  I've been to several other college basketball arenas through the years, and it doesn't seem out of date to me.  I mean maybe if I was comparing it to the Dean Dome it might, but I'm not.

I'm fine with it too, at least until we become a consistent national powerhouse of course. I guess there's still an improvement or two to be made, but The Super Pit can get plenty loud when only half full.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, greenminer said:

It’s time to ask a question that’s way too early to ask: are we Possibly an NIT or NCAA team?

If we do as projected and roll through the conference with only a couple of losses we are!  I'm not quite convinced, but the win last night was super impressive to me.

When I watched CO vs NM I thought both teams looked slow.  New Mexico is a hard place to win and great job by our guys.   I was reading UNM fan forum and they say the team is clumsy and slow but UNT is not that good of a team. But he did say better than UNM.  I didn't watch the game but I guess we had a lot of layups because they were commenting all about it.  They said the crowd was like 9000 plus.

16 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

When I watched CO vs NM I thought both teams looked slow.  New Mexico is a hard place to win and great job by our guys.   I was reading UNM fan forum and they say the team is clumsy and slow but UNT is not that good of a team. But he did say better than UNM.  I didn't watch the game but I guess we had a lot of layups because they were commenting all about it.  They said the crowd was like 9000 plus.

Our defense was forcing turnovers and poor shots.   The turnovers led to fast break layups quite a few times.  They can call it "clumsy", but it wasnt.

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Here is how I think it will work, for the top 5 teams.

The team with the top seed going into bonus play will play the 2 and the 3 seed at home and the 4 and the 5 seed on the road.

The 2 seed will play the 3 and the 4 seed at home and the 5 and the 1 seed on the road. 

The 3 seed will play the two teams seeded higher than them (1 and 2) on the road and the teams seeded lower than them (4 and 5) at home.

The 4 seed will play the 5 seed and 1 seed at home and will travel to the 2 and the 3 seed.

Last, the 5 seed will get the 1 and 2 seed at home and the 3 and 4 seed on the road.

This will require teams to beat the teams ahead of them on the road in order to jump them. It also gives the 1 seed the best chance at winning all 4 games while having a chance at 2 quality road wins, thus setting them up for a chance at an at-large bid should they fail to win the CUSA tourney. Which is the purpose of this whole concept.

When I asked this question, I had a funny feeling who would be answering it.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think with this win it's fair to ask:  Can we win 30 games this year?

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

It’s time to ask a question that’s way too early to ask: are we Possibly an NIT or NCAA team?

(Tempted to go back through threads in the football forum to see what these posters were saying after the Arkansas game...)

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...