UTA (12/8/18)

BillySee58

1 hour ago, CMJ said:

Wasn't able to listen unfortunately, but so glad we won.  UTA is always tough no matter the records.

So true.  

At one point when we were behind by 12 or 14...whatever it was and we took a TO, the UTA bench met the team out on the floor hollering and jumping up and down.  I don’t think our team realizes they have a target on their back, especially with this program from UTA and they were throttling their cross town rival at that point...with a first year head coach and a team with no seniors.

Rick

• Thanks 1

By the way....this was a difficult game for me to sit thru on a personal basis as I received some upsetting news at about the 10 minute mark of the 1st half.  

Carlos Leal,...a good man, alumn, ex Talon and huge Mean Green fan that @GreenBat @Talon90, Doug Anderson and several of us who attended UNT with.....passed away this afternoon.  

In school we always sat together at the Super Pit and traveled to the away games together...especially to see us play UTA on the stage every year.

Just thought those that may remember him would want to know.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Sad 5

23 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

By the way....this was a difficult game for me to sit thru on a personal basis as I received some upsetting news at about the 10 minute mark of the 1st half.  

Carlos Leal,...a good man, alumn, ex Talon and huge Mean Green fan that @GreenBat @Talon90, Doug Anderson and several of us who attended UNT with.....passed away this afternoon.  

In school we always sat together at the Super Pit and traveled to the away games together...especially to see us play UTA on the stage every year.

Just thought those that may remember him would want to know.

Rick

Sorry to hear that Rick

5 hours ago, sgt206 said:

At 9-1 going in I could not believe there weren’t more students there. Ridiculous. Looked like five in the “Student Section”. 

The student section has (with rare exceptions) been sparse since mid way through Benford’s first year. It took years for JJ to build the student support we had back then and a couple months to destroy it. I think if we can keep this momentum going until school starts in the spring you’ll see it pick back up. 

11 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Weekend before finals. If we keep winning until school starts the student section will be jumping.

Think they were home studying. 😉  The last weekend before the holiday break when they are forced to go home to spend time with family.  I remember I couldn't wait to get back to Denton after the trips home.  That is when I knew Denton was my home.

5 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

The student section has (with rare exceptions) been sparse since mid way through Benford’s first year. It took years for JJ to build the student support we had back then and a couple months to destroy it. I think if we can keep this momentum going until school starts in the spring you’ll see it pick back up. 

i spoke with a student at the game yesterday and was telling him what the pit crew was like when we were in school. i am sad to learn their is not a dedicated organization used to set up event/giveaways for the pit crew anymore. i believe it was apart of sga at one time

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

i spoke with a student at the game yesterday and was telling him what the pit crew was like when we were in school. i am sad to learn their is not a dedicated organization used to set up event/giveaways for the pit crew anymore. i believe it was apart of sga at one time

I think you are right. I wonder if the current SGA is even aware this was a thing. I also wonder why they gave it up to begin with. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

They don’t have the Pit Crew?

The section is still called the Pit Crew, but when i was in school from 2007-2010 (during JJ era) i remember they use to do events and giveaways to attract students and the sga had a dedicated pit crew group ( i believe it was sga, i could be wrong) but i see students sitting all over the pit now...including  a group of 10 or so that sat right next to me on the opposite side of the court yesterday in the GA section.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

The section is still called the Pit Crew, but when i was in school from 2007-2010 (during JJ era) i remember they use to do events and giveaways to attract students and the sga had a dedicated pit crew group ( i believe it was sga, i could be wrong) but i see students sitting all over the pit now...including  a group of 10 or so that sat right next to me on the opposite side of the court yesterday in the GA section.

Are the seat Nazi’s less strict now maybe?  Don’t force students to sit in the student section?

Maybe a decision was made to let the students just go wherever to make the Pit feel like it had a better crowd during Benfors years, or something.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Are the seat Nazi’s less strict now maybe?  Don’t force students to sit in the student section?

Maybe a decision was made to let the students just go wherever to make the Pit feel like it had a better crowd during Benfors years, or something.

I think so. Hard to tell the students to sit in the student section when seats are open almost everywhere. Benford was here for 5 years. A couple classes only got to see Benford ball, and a few others learned the UNT basketball experience during the latter 20-loss Benford seasons.

• Thanks 1