UTA (12/8/18)

BillySee58

46 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Time to go bigger. Out rebounded by 10 and picking up fouls left and right. If we can’t hit the three then change it up and work it inside first and then out. We give up size at 4 of the 5 spots on the floor. 

Did you see the size of the guys who were outrebounding us? They were smaller than us. I don’t expect you to change course on your “bigger lineups are better” stance but there’s a reason this team is 10-1. 

• Upvote 1

At one point around 10:00 to go in the 2nd we were being out-rebounded 30-17, & couldn’t buy a bucket.

The only thing keeping us within striking distance was UTAs sloppy play.

Fellas dug in, Simmons started owning the inside & Woolridge just gutted out the win.  You could tell he wasn’t at 100%.

Nice gut-check game for the Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I would like to see a taller line up in there. I know I’m not alone. 3 guys behind us were UNT alum and played with Lance White in those days. They were all calling for alarger like up. Again, ( it to sound like a broken record) but I work with basketball coaches and have some experience myself. The consensus is we need to learn to go big. I have yet to come across anyone (including a ref) who has said we should run continuous small ball. Miller at the 4 works,  changing it up doesn’t hurt. A well known alum from OU said we lost that game the second we ran a team out with 4 guys under 6’3’. We will be alright in CUSA and will compete all year, but we need to look at changing it up a bit.

Grant has more experience and knowledge than anyone I talk to personally, so I trust him. He knows these guys more than I do, but give me more Arikawe. He and Miller are my two favorite guys on the team. 🙂

I know. You said this all throughout the Benford era telling us your basketball buddies thought UNT fans were ridiculous in their Benford criticisms and that we didn’t know what we were talking about. This is a widespread basketball movement that is seen at the NBA and college level. Having two traditional bigs is almost like starting a fullback in your base offense in football. Look at the Mavericks starting four, 6’7” Luka Doncic.

Again, UTA was smaller than us. Height was not the problem. 

• Upvote 3

Really sluggish performance until the last 5 minutes or so.

The good by-product out of this is that the comeback and close game whipped the Mean Green faithful into a frenzy down the stretch. Really good crowd that was into the game. Team started feeding off the energy. Reminded me of the semi finals and finals of the CBI. If the team keeps performing and the students start showing up in numbers after the holidays, the Super Pit is gonna be freaking awesome for conference play.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

9 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Really sluggish performance until the last 5 minutes or so.

The good by-product out of this is that the comeback and close game whipped the Mean Green faithful into a frenzy down the stretch. Really good crowd that was into the game. Team started feeding off the energy. Reminded me of the semi finals and finals of the CBI. If the team keeps performing and the students start showing up in numbers after the holidays, the Super Pit is gonna be freaking awesome for conference play.

you got some good screen time on CUSA.tv tonight

• Upvote 1