Graham Harrell to UNC as OC under Mack Brown?? Question no info apparently...

peanuts104

Have stayed out of the whole SL thing but when you have the best QB in the league and our skill players we should score forty. Easily. Call me crazy but I think the offense is way more Fine than Harrell. We'll see. Somehow I got what I wanted. SL to stay and GH to go. Merry early Christmas to me. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1

3 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Have stayed out of the whole SL thing but when you have the best QB in the league and our skill players we should score forty. Easily. Call me crazy but I think the offense is way more Fine than Harrell. We'll see. Somehow I got what I wanted. SL to stay and GH to go. Merry early Christmas to me. 

I think you are in the majority here. 

Think about this, we beat 0 bowl teams. 0. Nada. We beat 9 non-bowl teams. Our schedule was horrific. This offense should be dropping 50, easily. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Its a smart move for GH to chose UNC over WVU. Brown is known for being more hands off. He is not only also a P5 OC now,

but a) This is Browns last stop, i.e. more job security and b) any success the offense has, will be much more identified with GH than had he gone to WVU, where folks would have wondered whether it was all SL at NT and all Holgorson at WVU. c) I also wondered whether he was starting to look around because SLs future at NT was uncertain at some point and found that there was some real interest by folks willing to pay gooood money.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I've never understood the dislike of GH here, he does a good job IMO.

The offense has gotten better each year and continuity matters in college football.

I'm happy (if) he is staying. GMG.

I think that Harrell is a great QB coach as evidenced by Fine’s growth. The problem is that unlike being a QB coach where he can directly use his playing experience, play calling takes time to develop. I think he has a lot of potential as a coach but I think the frustration stems from his play calling not developing as fast as many fans would like. The offense has been good but has left a lot of points on the board from suspect play calling at times.

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, laxtonto said:

So he chose UNC over WVU. I guess he accepted the fact that Brown will be there for 3 years at least and the mad scientist might bail or get run out of WVU in the next 2.

That and would anyone believe that he was really running the O on his own at WVU? 

or, maybe he thinks that Brown can only be the HC for 4 years max, and then he's got a nice ACC job

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I was looking into prospective coaches when it looked like Seth was gone. When I was looking at candidates who are OCs, one thing rang true for all of them is that their fanbases complain like crazy about all of them on twitter. One in particular was Mike Yurcich, the OC at Oklahoma State. He has consistently had top 10 offenses, including the number 2 offense last year and fans want to run him out of town. Same with us an Graham. Highly criticizeable position.

It's a difficult job to be had in this score points to win era, for sure. But the proof is in this bowl of pudding. We lose games because we fizzle out, offensively. We fizzle out so bad that we go three and out or 6 and out for entire 2nd halves and lose games because of it. SL and GH scheme up the first 15-20 plays like all good teams do. But then, sometimes, it's just like wtf are we doing. The fire in the offense isn't there and we seem to be content to settle. In this day and age of points, you put your foot on your preys throat and don't move it until winning is no longer in doubt. Go fast, don't apologize, and offer them a cigarette after you're done. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's a difficult job to be had in this score points to win era, for sure. But the proof is in this bowl of pudding. We lose games because we fizzle out, offensively. We fizzle out so bad that we go three and out or 6 and out for entire 2nd halves and lose games because of it. SL and GH scheme up the first 15-20 plays like all good teams do. But then, sometimes, it's just like wtf are we doing. The fire in the offense isn't there and we seem to be content to settle. In this day and age of points, you put your foot on your preys throat and don't move it until winning is no longer in doubt. Go fast, don't apologize, and offer them a cigarette after you're done. 

I agree. It seems like Harrell and Littrell put together a good game plan but then Harrell sticks with it even after the defense adapts. I think he just needs to learn to better adapt and have confidence to deviate from the game plan.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MEEN2018 said:

I agree. It seems like Harrell and Littrell put together a good game plan but then Harrell sticks with it even after the defense adapts. I think he just needs to learn to better adapt and have confidence to deviate from the game plan.

I mean you have to deviate from the game plan. Football is chess, but your board is 100 yards and your pieces are human. The script they put together is more times than not really, really good. They come out with energy and they execute said script. But then the scroll runs dry and GH is left up there just sort of spitballing and sometimes it's ugly. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove

37 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Well, is he here or not?

Wish I knew.  Just snapshotted this.  Apparently our own Brett Vito knew something 16 hours ago.  The story isn't up anymore. 

Graham must've thought Seth was going to jump ship to Kansas State and was about to do the same.  Maybe he's reconsidering now that Seth is staying?

image.png.698429abad7b9f2c83725dd5614e3cbc.png