Seth Littrell withdraws from KSU search

dml7007

1 hour ago, Felozano said:

I just read that Littrell wanted to bring the entire coaching staff, and K-State said, "no."  According to the article, that ended the negotiations. 

1COMMENTS

Lastly, Kansas City TV reporter Tom Martin reported contract negotiations between K-State and Littrell “Fell through when Littrell wanted to clean house and bring his entire staff to Manhattan, K-State said no.”

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Heck, it's even what their own people are saying.   
Usually, when talks break down, you hear that the school "decided to move a different direction..." or something.   
Most are saying there were some sticking points in negotiations & Littrell removed himself (be it Sean Snyder's fault, Seth asking for too much money for himself or his assistants, etc...).

Yes, I see your points.  

However, this could be interpreted either way.   They did not want him enough to allow him to pick all his own coaches or he turned them down because they would not let him bring his own staff.   

Very unusual situation that a HC would have to retain current coaches.  This sometimes happens with coaches that have recruited a lot of the incoming players, but that doesn't seem to be the motive.   

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Yes, I see your points.  

However, this could be interpreted either way.   They did not want him enough to allow him to pick all his own coaches or he turned them down because they would not let him bring his own staff.   

Very unusual situation that a HC would have to retain current coaches.  This sometimes happens with coaches that have recruited a lot of the incoming players, but that doesn't seem to be the motive.   

Could be, you're right.  Either way, Littrell held the aces in that deal.  It was his choice to play them or not.  He could cave to their demands & take on whatever staff he needed to, but he didn't.

• Upvote 1

I’m still hoping to hear or read a well prepared  damage control statement that makes us all feel good & merely accept what took place since October. Truth is always a good place to start, but don’t know if we even get to that part of the entire conversation.  

In his 3’rd year an SWC school tried to hire Fry away from our favorite school, but he came back to Denton & said “I’ve got a better job at North Texas.”  (He stayed 3 more years).  Most all some of us ever thought we’d get from Seth Littrell is 6 years in Denton.  Hell, if he starts getting conference championships & winning bowl games with Top 25 ranked Mean Green football teams he can stay forever. We’d all love that!

As I said to a couple of you via phone conversation, I love everything SL has done at UNT up until the last 2 months. Still don’t know what precipitated the best statistical QB in North Texas history to casually talk about transferring out (& we can only guess) but one of the great things about we Americans is how we can be a most forgiving people no matter what & then move on.  Maybe that’s what we all should do explanation or no explanation?  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

I’m still hoping to hear or read a well prepared  damage control statement that makes me feel good & merely accept what took place since October & that with a sports agent leading the way.  Truth is always a good place to start, but don’t know if we even get to that part of the entire conversation.  

In his 3’rd year an SWC school tried to hire Fry away from our favorite school, but he came back to Denton & said “I’ve got a better job at North Texas.”  (He stayed 3 more years).  Most all some of us ever thought we’d get from Seth Littrell is 6 years in Denton.  Hell, if he starts getting conference championships & winning bowl games with Top 25 ranked Mean Green football teams he can stay forever. We’d all love that!

As I said to a couple of you via phone conversation, I love everything SL has done at UNT up until the last 2 months. Still don’t know what precipitated the best statistical QB in North Texas history to casually talk about transferring out (& we can only guess) but one of the great things about we Americans is how we can be a most forgiving people no matter what & then move on.  Maybe that’s what we all should do?  

GMG!

The beat writer asking have you thought about transferring......

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Seth-Littrell-North-Texas-Mean-Green-opens-up-about-why-he-stayed-126039028/

In an exclusive interview with MeanGreen247 on Friday, Littrell opened up about why he wanted to stay at North Texas and what makes this situation special to him.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Seth-Littrell-North-Texas-Mean-Green-opens-up-about-why-he-stayed-126039028/

In an exclusive interview with MeanGreen247 on Friday, Littrell opened up about why he wanted to stay at North Texas and what makes this situation special to him.

Thanks, Philip Ferguson! 👍👍

That is all this old phart’ alum & Mean Green fan needed to read. 

“I feel good—like I knew that I would.” (James Brown)

GMG!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Graddean said:

How many on this board would not “shop around” if a position came open with a different employer for which you qualified, if the new position was with a company with greater public recognition and a considerably higher salary.

I might not, if happy in the current position. Especially if the new job was in some place where I'd never want to live. Glad this worked out.

1 hour ago, flyonthewall said:

Here is my take.  Every year we are successful, no matter who the coach is, other coaches are going to get fired.  And because we are in CUSA, and we pay 1.5 mil. or 1.8 mil, or 900k, there are going to be other jobs that pay more.  So as long as we are winning it doesn't matter if it's Seth Litrell, or Joe fffing blow, at the end of the season this will be our plight.  Some years it will go like this and blow over, other years we are all going to get our feelings hurt.

It's what we all wanted.

We had a great year.  But reality is we are 9-3.  We are 1-2 against teams with a winning record, and we lost to Old Dominion that turned around and lost to a 2-11 Rice team.  (see what i did here, I legit blew holes in a 9-3 season, how quickly things turn)

This was our year people.  Can we learn from this and do better next year?  Maybe, but we got a down Arkansas team and spit the bit in three games.  Next year Cal on the road?  Can we win that?  Will our conference schedule be any easier?  I don't think so.  Next year will test the merit of this whole thing.

In the meantime I am going to freaking New Mexico and supporting my favorite team in the whole world...

See ya there bitches!!!!

All true. A split of our OOC schedule is likely. 3-1 would be great. 4-0 we'd be cooking with some grease. 1-3 would be disappointing. All 4 scenarios are possible. The SL era has been a rollercoaster ride for sure. 

• Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

For all the back and forth on this board I still think it boils down to KSU being a really good P5 job, just not a great one.  I really don't think a hot up and coming OC comes here just to jump up to a mediocre P5 program.  And without Bill Synder that is what KSU has always been or worse.  UNT has all the potential of any mediocre P5 school.  Our student body is large as KSU's and larger than over half of the teams in the Big 12 today.  He very reasonably carefully considered what KSU had to offer and made request accordingly.  I wouldn't want to come behind a legend without bringing all the staff that wanted to come with me.  Especially going to a program that MUST recruit that in state of Texas (against all the other P5 school in the region) to have a shot at consistent success.  Had UNC come calling I think he would have left.  Had Georgia Tech come calling earnestly wanting to move away from the triple option and give him a 6 year contract to do it, I think he would have left.  If and when he leaves he is leaving for something closer to his dream job than what KSU is willing to offer now.  Put together one top 25 season with less than 3 losses and beat a relevant P5 program in a bowl I think people would be amazed by the numbers of alumni that would come out of hiding.

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

For all the back and forth on this board I still think it boils down to KSU being a really good P5 job, just not a great one.  I really don't think a hot up and coming OC comes here just to jump up to a mediocre P5 program.  And without Bill Synder that is what KSU has always been or worse.  UNT has all the potential of any mediocre P5 school.  Our student body is large as KSU's and larger than over half of the teams in the Big 12 today.  He very reasonably carefully considered what KSU had to offer and made request accordingly.  I wouldn't want to come behind a legend without bringing all the staff that wanted to come with me.  Especially going to a program that MUST recruit that in state of Texas (against all the other P5 school in the region) to have a shot at consistent success.  Had UNC come calling I think he would have left.  Had Georgia Tech come calling earnestly wanting to move away from the triple option and give him a 6 year contract to do it, I think he would have left.  If and when he leaves he is leaving for something closer to his dream job than what KSU is willing to offer now.  Put together one top 25 season with less than 3 losses and beat a relevant P5 program in a bowl I think people would be amazed by the numbers of alumni that would come out of hiding.

you are an idiot and #itsallajoke.

You can come back with whatever you want but I don't care. -1 me and just rant on,  I read the first line and then said to myself "oh Mike Jackson" and quit

that is all

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 6

4 hours ago, flyonthewall said:

Here is my take.  Every year we are successful, no matter who the coach is, other coaches are going to get fired.  And because we are in CUSA, and we pay 1.5 mil. or 1.8 mil, or 900k, there are going to be other jobs that pay more.  So as long as we are winning it doesn't matter if it's Seth Litrell, or Joe fffing blow, at the end of the season this will be our plight.  Some years it will go like this and blow over, other years we are all going to get our feelings hurt.

It's what we all wanted.

We had a great year.  But reality is we are 9-3.  We are 1-2 against teams with a winning record, and we lost to Old Dominion that turned around and lost to a 2-11 Rice team.  (see what i did here, I legit blew holes in a 9-3 season, how quickly things turn)

This was our year people.  Can we learn from this and do better next year?  Maybe, but we got a down Arkansas team and spit the bit in three games.  Next year Cal on the road?  Can we win that?  Will our conference schedule be any easier?  I don't think so.  Next year will test the merit of this whole thing.

In the meantime I am going to freaking New Mexico and supporting my favorite team in the whole world...

See ya there bitches!!!!

That's our lot in life.  Any mid-major program that has some success will pop-up on the radar.  Eventually, a bigger school with deeper pockets will come around.  I hope SL stays and builds UNT into the powerhouse that he has previously discussed.  It happened at TCU, so why not in Denton, too.

34 minutes ago, flyonthewall said:

you are an idiot and #itsallajoke.

You can come back with whatever you want but I don't care. -1 me and just rant on,  I read the first line and then said to myself "oh Mike Jackson" and quit

that is all

You're a dolt. There is nothing he said that was eccentric, malicious, or self serving. 

You, what you post, typically is...Self serving that is. 

that is all

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

You have to wonder what the psyche of our assistants is right now.  If it indeed really came down to Sean Snyder or bust you have to think a good number of our assistants were expecting to be coaching in the Big 12 next year and getting a big pay bump.

I would think at least some of them are bummed.  Maybe that's not how they are wired, but if we the fans were on pins and needles all week, how do you think the guys actually being affected by all this reacted?

I have a feeling they knew many more details than we ever could imagine. I mean, they are his assistants involved in the program and we are fans of the program. 

If I had to guess, the issue could have been more about control of the team/program than specific assistant coaches. If the school won’t let you bring you you want in, it could be a sign they will meddle in other areas and you won’t enjoy the freedom you want to mold the program in your image as Seth has done here.

(Please note the above is null and void if you intend to bring in a high school staff.)

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I mean do you want JR on your staff?  I am sure JR and father would talk if Sr thought things were not right he would put a word in since he is a popular guy at KSU and still has influence.  Maybe the deal was to keep more than JR.  Wonder who will take the team under those circumstances.  Maybe JR is a great coach I don't know anything about him. I just feel if he was he would be the HC at KSU.

12 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

If Seth wins again next year, another P5 will come a callin’ and this one may let him bring his whole staff. It’s just a matter of time.  Not if but when...

Success will breed success. That is why you have a person in a position of authority like Wren who is wise with hiring. We should enjoy the good times while they are here with the good coaches provided. If they move on, you will hire someone to keep the good times a' rollin.  You keep it going from hire to hire. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

I am not sure the article that mentioned the sticking point over bringing his own coaches meant that Littrell was including all of his current staff at UNT.  I read it to mean that he wanted full authority to bring in whoever he wanted (i.e. you are not going to tell me who I have to keep from the current KSU staff).

Edited by TreeFiddy