GMG recruiting podcast. Need questions

TheReal_jayD

1 minute ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

I just think any kid thinking they will get a P5 offer will wait to see if something falls in their lap thats all.

Several of our commits already have them.   
Now, over time, they may have dried up (seeing as how most of our class was committed prior to the season even starting, and other schools moving on), but there were several guys who committed to us over P5 offers.    Littrell & staff did a great job selling recruits on what's going on in Denton.

Do you expect Seth staying will hurt or help 2020 recruiting? I get that the obvious answer is that it will help being able to pitch that he turned down a P5 program himself, but will the negative recruiting from other schools saying he’s likely to leave at anytime make things more difficult than they were this year?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Do you expect Seth staying will hurt or help 2020 recruiting? I get that the obvious answer is that it will help being able to pitch that he turned down a P5 program himself, but will the negative recruiting from other schools saying he’s likely to leave at anytime make things more difficult than they were this year?

I would think we would see the repercussions of this immediately with 19's class.    These kids don't want to sign, maybe use a redshirt, then lose their coach.

Gotta believe Littrell has the right answers for those questions/accusations because they're still coming in for their final OV!

• Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I would think we would see the repercussions of this immediately with 19's class.    These kids don't want to sign, maybe use a redshirt, then lose their coach.

Gotta believe Littrell has the right answers for those questions/accusations because they're still coming in for their final OV!

But they’ve been committed for months and are ready to sign. I think it’s a different ballgame when you’re starting from scratch on a recruit and schools like SMU and La Tech are bringing up how close Littrell was to leaving with a recruit who we’ve haven’t already sold and built a rapport with.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

But they’ve been committed for months and are ready to sign. I think it’s a different ballgame when you’re starting from scratch on a recruit and schools like SMU and La Tech are bringing up how close Littrell was to leaving with a recruit who we’ve haven’t already sold and built a rapport with.

True.
Let me tell you a story...
We were getting new windows in our house (still had the original builder grade, single pane windows throughout, so it was time to upgrade).
We called out several different recommended companies, and all of them showed us the same type of tests with their windows that were all virtually the same.   Each of these companies kept talking bad about a different company, always the same one... like they were afraid of them.
So, we called that company.  They came in, did the same tests with the same products but came in $1000's less than the other companies.  The salesman who came, was very matter-of-fact.  He knew he had the right product at the best price for us.  He wasnt worried about what anyone else said about his company.  We signed on with them that day.

I doubt Seth & Co are worried about what Skip or Sonny's crews are saying about us, because they know what they have to offer.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

True.
Let me tell you a story...
We were getting new windows in our house (still had the original builder grade, single pane windows throughout, so it was time to upgrade).
We called out several different recommended companies, and all of them showed us the same type of tests with their windows that were all virtually the same.   Each of these companies kept talking bad about a different company, always the same one... like they were afraid of them.
So, we called that company.  They came in, did the same tests with the same products but came in $1000's less than the other companies.  The salesman who came, was very matter-of-fact.  He knew he had the right product at the best price for us.  He wasnt worried about what anyone else said about his company.  We signed on with them that day.

I doubt Seth & Co are worried about what Skip or Sonny's crews are saying about us, because they know what they have to offer.

Please feel free to DM me with the name of that company. 1956 Ranch with rice paper windows much like your originals. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2018 at 6:32 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

If Seth leaves, what % of our commits decommit?

Does the lack of state income tax help with recruitment from other states?

@Harry & @TheReal_jayD, so my second question wasn’t answered.  My guess is that state income tax doesn’t play into recruitment too much, but there is a fundamental question behind that.  How do taxes work into these scholarships?  My understanding is that kids have to pay taxes on the scholarships.   Are scholarships treated as income from a tax perspective?   Heck, this might be a better question for @oldguystudent.   If they do have to pay those taxes, then maybe state income tax would play a role in recruiting lower income players. 

I’ll hang up and listen.  

• Upvote 1