NT Daily: UNT Athletics Department is more than $63.19 million in debt as of the end of 2017

Talon90

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, UNTFan23 said:

Yeah, the AD could spend more money on marketing the soccer program but will they get a decent return? Soccer isn't a popular sport.

Says who???  You see the crowd for the MLS Championship game this year?  I believe it was 70,000 plus.  I do think that reflects at least a modicum of popularity. And, no, I am not advocating for tons of money being spent on advertising the UNT soccer team.  They are "selling themselves" and are bringing a great bit of positive publicity to UNT and the entire athletic department.  Plus, the team is drawing very nice in-person support these days.

Anyway, back to football and the deficit which may or may not be any sort of issue at all.  And, oh yes, The Daily loves to write articles that reflect UNT in a bad light.  UNT cut their funding a bit, so they have a "grudge" to reflect...or maybe they are just butt hurt over it...or maybe they are just young inexperienced college kids volunteering to work for The Daily, and are suffering the consequences of writing articles without proper research.  Who knows? Don't know, but this "deficit" article is simple terrible journalism. Period.

34 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Says who???  You see the crowd for the MLS Championship game this year?  I believe it was 70,000 plus.  I do think that reflects at least a modicum of popularity. And, no, I am not advocating for tons of money being spent on advertising the UNT soccer team.  They are "selling themselves" and are bringing a great bit of positive publicity to UNT and the entire athletic department.  Plus, the team is drawing very nice in-person support these days.

Maybe athletics could run some social media campaigns to attempt to draw a little more interest in women's soccer, especially with the new facility opening next season? I just have doubts that MLS success effectively translates to UNT Women's Soccer success.

41 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Maybe athletics could run some social media campaigns to attempt to draw a little more interest in women's soccer, especially with the new facility opening next season? I just have doubts that MLS success effectively translates to UNT Women's Soccer success.

I see quite a bit of social media promos. And they had several giveaways this year as well (including a John Hedlund key chain). I wonder if expenses were categorized right or pooled. This was from 16-17 so perhaps things were different then.