New Mexico Bowl Preview & Predictions

Philip Ferguson

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/ContentGallery/North-Texas-Mean-Green-vs-Utah-State-Aggies-Ten-things-to-watch-126286230/#126286230_10

MeanGreen247 prediction

North Texas 42, Utah State 35...in overtime

I'm seeing a trend with the most recent predictions, and they are going in UNT's favor!  #GMG

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

who is oc/dc for Utah State for the game?  I know they have an interim coach and I thought Wells' staff left with him.  

Their OC is staying, at least for the bowl game, and will be calling plays and serving as their interim head coach. He'll be the one that looks like a surfer. 

2 hours ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/ContentGallery/North-Texas-Mean-Green-vs-Utah-State-Aggies-Ten-things-to-watch-126286230/#126286230_10

MeanGreen247 prediction

North Texas 42, Utah State 35...in overtime

I'm seeing a trend with the most recent predictions, and they are going in UNT's favor!  #GMG

Because the experts have finally spent quality time studying each team and learn who we are.

Everyone’s concentrating on MF...and rightly so.  But I’ve thought all along that USU hasn’t faced a back as good as Torrey and if he’s fed the rock he will be the difference in this game.

RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

https://sportschatplace.com/cfb-picks/2018/12/15/north-texas-vs-utah-state-new-mexico-bowl-12/15/18-college-football-pick-odds-and-prediction

I’m not sure how much stock I can put into the Aggies without Wells calling the shots, so I’ll take a shot with North Texas as I feel the Mean Green can definitely keep this one within a touchdown if not win it outright.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I watched this video:

And Mason's comments at the end struck me. 

This will be the first game NT has NOT been favored in since Arkansas.  The expectations are off of the Mean Green's shoulders now, and firmly on USU's.

So the pressure is off.   They can go out and "have fun" (re: play loose, without expectations).   This should work well for us, especially if we're within 1 score in the 4th quarter.  And I fully expect to be close since we've not trailed by more than 1 score for the entire year.

If the rest of the team feels like Mason, I'm starting to think this game will go one of 2 ways:
1. The game will end in a hurry because the guys will come out loose & ready, pour on a bunch of points quickly, and make USU believe they can't win without their coach & fold.
2. The game will be extremely close & NT digs out the win like they often did last year when they didn't have expectations (Army, ODU, UTSA...).

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I watched this video:

And Mason's comments at the end struck me. 

This will be the first game NT has NOT been favored in since Arkansas.  The expectations are off of the Mean Green's shoulders now, and firmly on USU's.

So the pressure is off.   They can go out and "have fun" (re: play loose, without expectations).   This should work well for us, especially if we're within 1 score in the 4th quarter.  And I fully expect to be close since we've not trailed by more than 1 score for the entire year.

If the rest of the team feels like Mason, I'm starting to think this game will go one of 2 ways:
1. The game will end in a hurry because the guys will come out loose & ready, pour on a bunch of points quickly, and make USU believe they can't win without their coach & fold.
2. The game will be extremely close & NT digs out the win like they often did last year when they didn't have expectations (Army, ODU, UTSA...).

The Arkansas reference made me think back to earlier in the season.  I remember early on, the "experts" said UNT had no chance against Arkansas.  Then, as we got closer and more thorough analysis was done, the opinions began to shift.  I remember watching the game with the feeling that we had a very good chance at winning it.  In reading the expert opinions over the past few days, it seems the same thing is happening.  The next 30 hours will be nerve racking!  #GMG #TheShowGoesOn 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Arkansas was way over confident. When talking with their fans before the game they were too! Afterward most wouldn't acknowledge my existence. USU.... I don't feel they're that over confident. Seems their fans aren't Ethier.

My entire family prior to me, I am the first Texan, is from Arkansas.  Not one of them has said a word to me about our win.

• Haha 1

UDD usually has great analysis IMO - this is no exception.  But, I hope their final score prediction is wrong.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/12/14/18140019/new-mexico-bowl-2018-preview-betting-line-utah-state-aggies-north-texas-mean-green-cusa-football

For any fan of either team, 2018 was an impressive season to remember, no question. Both teams put up huge numbers and finished near the top of their respective conference, which is always a plus. But on paper, there’s a reason neither team won their conference, and despite their impressive records, they still have some work to do before either can win a conference title.

But first, we have one more game in 2018, and it’s going to be a good one. As much as we’d love to leave the prediction there, and go on about how much fun these teams will be to watch, alas, the very nature of sport dictates that there must be a winner. No matter the final score, we’re all winners here.

Final Score: Utah State 28, North Texas 24

The more I read about this game, the more it strikes me how similar these teams are. Pass to set up the run. Three man front on D with an aggressive attacking style that leaves DBs sometimes vulnerable. Similar QB stats. Similar defensive stats. 

The coaching situation favors us; the altitude favors them. 

This is such a toss-up.