New Mexico Bowl Preview & Predictions

Philip Ferguson

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2018/12/7/football-utah-state-to-play-north-texas-in-new-mexico-bowl.aspx?path=football

Here are a lot of stats about Utah.  These guys think we are the "Bulldogs" so let's hope they make other mistakes during the game!  #GMG #TheShowGoesOn #StayLitt

The key to beating this USU team is on the ground.

In their two losses their opponents  outrushed them 364 yards to 87.

And in two other games they should have lost their opponents outrushed them 430 to 282 yards.

Wyoming ran for 231 yards against them and held USU’s offense under 200 total yards.  But USU’s defense got a couple of turnovers and a 99 yard kick off return ended up being the difference.  

Colorado State ran for 199 yards against them and nearly beat them on a last second TD and even got to celebrate the win for a  moment before the ref’s decided that the CSU receiver had touched the sideline befor catching the ball.

So this USU team is beatable.  if you don’t want to beat this them then get into a shootout with them.

But if you want to beat them play solid defense and......RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Man... predictions are all over the place

I think a lot of places are faulting USU for the coaching change, while a lot of others are ignoring it. Other factors include the teams being so similar, and no one really knowing how they play since they're both G5 programs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason Howeth said:

I think a lot of places are faulting USU for the coaching change, while a lot of others are ignoring it. Other factors include the teams being so similar, and no one really knowing how they play since they're both G5 programs. 

I think the coaching changes creates enough inconsistencies to give us the edge.  Most probably, it's going to come down to who has the ball last circa the Army game in 2017.

I think part of it will be who’s coaching for them.  If they let Anderson coach, he may not get his team behind him in time, & it could turn into a LATech/SMU Frisco Bowl result. 

If they stick with Maile, the team may rally & play their best game all year.

If i were a betting man, I would not touch this game, period.

17 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

It’s no coincidence that in 3 of USU’s 4 most competitive games...(1 being a loss and 2 others were wins)....the Aggies faced running backs who finished with 977 (Torrey) or more yards on the season.  

RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Rick

I think Quinn needs to play some this game and run some zone read. He deserves it and I think it will work.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen any talk about this, but USU has the advantage in being accustomed to playing in elevation. I know they will be there for a couple days prior to the game, but that concerns me a bit. I'm not an athlete but i just spent some time in santa fe for thanksgiving and it's different up there. Albuquerque is lower than santa fe but still much higher up than Denton.  

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

It’s no coincidence that in 3 of USU’s 4 most competitive games...(1 being a loss and 2 others were wins)....the Aggies faced running backs who finished with 977 (Torrey) or more yards on the season.  

RUN THE DAMN BALL!

Rick

Agreed...RUN!

image.png.e89076e9f7bbdf23fc86af8e012b8f69.png

8 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

Dude is clueless & simply regurgitated stats.   Made no mention (probably has no idea) that Utah State is without their Coach.     This preview is not really worth the watch.

3 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

Agreed...RUN!

image.png.e89076e9f7bbdf23fc86af8e012b8f69.png

Or, look at our passing offense rank VS our rush offense rank, and ....   PASS!     
Granted, a lot of those pass stats are passes to Easly/Torrey/Quick in the flats or screens, so a lot of that is extension of the run game.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Dude is clueless & simply regurgitated stats.   Made no mention (probably has no idea) that Utah State is without their Coach.     This preview is not really worth the watch.

Or, look at our passing offense rank VS our rush offense rank, and ....   PASS!     
Granted, a lot of those pass stats are passes to Easly/Torrey/Quick in the flats or screens, so a lot of that is extension of the run game.

Yeah this game is going to be QBs throwing the ball like the Rams/Chiefs game earlier in the NFL season. Tons of offense, both sides rack up video game numbers in their stat sheets, both running games establish a respect, which helps passing. 

The hope is that Mohammed, Hall, and Books can contain their WRs just enough.