Wren Baker: Bowl Press Conference

NorthTexan95

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Sometimes I wonder if I live on an alternate planet as everyone else. Don't get me wrong, Wren seems to have everything going the right direction, but he's pretty bad at public speaking.

Yeah, he is. But that doesn't fall into the criteria of his job. He's doing a good job, and I don't mind the stammering through pressers (or the pretty good jokes). It sort of shows authenticity, and I like that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTeeth said:

Sometimes I wonder if I live on an alternate planet as everyone else. Don't get me wrong, Wren seems to have everything going the right direction, but he's pretty bad at public speaking.

If you are comparing him to Tony Robbins, he did a good job. 

I think the public speaking comes with time and experience.   I thought SL was a terrible public speaker when he first arrived at UNT but he has really improved in this area. I think WB is a great AD and the public speaking will get better with more experience.  If that his weakness I will take it.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

If you are comparing him to Tony Robbins, he did a good job. 

I think there are two sides to this. WB isn't a skilled orator (think Joel Osteen, Tony Robbins, etc). But I feel like he does a really good job of taking difficult questions and giving thoughtful, skillful and most importantly honest answers. Comes off as genuine as opposed to "coach speak" type answers. I've also been to a couple of the caravans and he was good at those in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

"In Wren We Trust" is a hustler!  You can see it without even having to be around him personally. It's called Results in fundraising (Indoor Practice Facility) & working  (meticulously) to find the magic formula to reach approximately 250,000 North Texas Exes living within 1 hour of Apogee Stadium not even counting our students and Denton.

WB thinks outside the box which is music to some of our ears who've been begging for that to have been done for decades.   Not winning hindered much of that, but that was the main idea, too, as in:  YOU GOTTA' WIN IN THE MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS MARKET LIKE THE ONE WE'RE IN.

(Dammit! Ran into another UNT grad the other day who goes to TCU football games......GET IT)?   

For those not loyal to the school where they received their degree I call that NCAA  college football social climbing.  Of course, when TCU starts losing (and they will) you will see ACS with small crowds again.  If UT and OU leave the Big 12 it will be panic time for some leftover in the B12 and is why......North Texas cannot afford to become complacent the next 10 years with what we have now. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, meangreen2016 said:

I’m curious to know, how often do ADs stay at schools and are they poached just like head coaches are?

😉

I dont think it happens all that much.  We had an AD prior to Wren that was here 18 years and I dont recall anyone trying to steal him away.   I do recall a banner being pulled by a plane though.

• Ray 1

13 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

😉

I dont think it happens all that much.  We had an AD prior to Wren that was here 18 years and I dont recall anyone trying to steal him away.   I do recall a banner being pulled by a plane though.

I don't know why they wasted money on that plane.  If they had given members of this board free bbq and beer we would have just gone put that sucker on the back of a few box trucks and parked them right outside of RV's office.  Would've even let him use said box trucks to move with.

4 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

"In Wren We Trust" is a hustler!  You can see it without even having to be around him personally. It's called Results in fundraising (Indoor Practice Facility) & working  (meticulously) to find the magic formula to reach approximately 250,000 North Texas Exes living within 1 hour of Apogee Stadium not even counting our students and Denton.

WB thinks outside the box which is music to some of our ears who've been begging for that to have been done for decades.   Not winning hindered much of that, but that was the main idea, too, as in:  YOU GOTTA' WIN IN THE MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS MARKET LIKE THE ONE WE'RE IN.

(Dammit! Ran into another UNT grad the other day who goes to TCU football games......GET IT)?   

For those not loyal to the school where they received their degree I call that NCAA  college football social climbing.  Of course, when TCU starts losing (and they will) you will see ACS with small crowds again.  If UT and OU leave the Big 12 it will be panic time for some leftover in the B12 and is why......North Texas cannot afford to become complacent the next 10 years with what we have now. 

GMG!

I can’t stand it when current students or alumni cheer for other teams and buy their merchandise. It’s really pathetic unless you have a kid that goes there.

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I think the public speaking comes with time and experience.   I thought SL was a terrible public speaker when he first arrived at UNT but he has really improved in this area. I think WB is a great AD and the public speaking will get better with more experience.  If that his weakness I will take it.

I think that's exactly right.   I'm not stating he is a bad AD or anything and I get that people like that he is approachable and authentic.  If he can raise money and bring in championships who really cares.  I was just stating that his public speaking leaves a little to be desired, not that it really matters that much.

• Upvote 1

Now we're kicking the AD's ass?  Under whose watch was close to $6 million raised in 2 months?  AD's don't have speech-writers like our glorious U.S. politicians do.  

Come on, fellas, Wren has a whole bunch on his mind the last few weeks; mostly that he might have to start interviewing for our favorite school a new HFC.  

GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

8 hours ago, Big Z said:

I can’t stand it when current students or alumni cheer for other teams and buy their merchandise. It’s really pathetic unless you have a kid that goes there.

That's borderline. A real diehard doesn't do that. They may toe the line and rrreeeaaaccchh out to high five their kid student, but a real diehard doesn't cross that line. To your first point though, yeah that's disgusting, makes zero sense, and it's them trying to socially fit in like a douche loser. 

21 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's borderline. A real diehard doesn't do that. They may toe the line and rrreeeaaaccchh out to high five their kid student, but a real diehard doesn't cross that line. To your first point though, yeah that's disgusting, makes zero sense, and it's them trying to socially fit in like a douche loser. 

I read an article that 90% of UT Longhorn fans actually didn’t go there or have any affiliation to the school....but they are the same fans who talk shit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

When Wren Baker got choked up talking about SL should have been a big hint as to what was taking place behind the scenes.

I too thought this. But he was talking about a young Mean Green fan with small children that was diagnosed with cancer. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove