Hey K State Fans !

akriesman

6 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I know you are snooping around our forum, as we are yours.   I just want to politely correct one of your comments in your forum regarding the size of our school:

"Having been around small schools before, I'm not surprised. Anytime there are creditable rumors of one of the big boys snooping around, you worry because you know if the big boys go with a full-court press, there is little chance that it can be matched and they'll get what they want. Every off-season with a successful HC, a small school usually has to sweat out the rumors."

• Kansas State Fall 2018 Enrollment - 22,221
  • North Texas Fall 2017 Enrollment - 38,094

Now, I am not sure I am correct, because I studied my math at little old North Texas.   But, I am pretty sure that 38,094 is bigger that 22,221.

Probably should have just said G5 or lower athletic budget school.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, akriesman said:

I know you are snooping around our forum, as we are yours.   I just want to politely correct one of your comments in your forum regarding the size of our school:

"Having been around small schools before, I'm not surprised. Anytime there are creditable rumors of one of the big boys snooping around, you worry because you know if the big boys go with a full-court press, there is little chance that it can be matched and they'll get what they want. Every off-season with a successful HC, a small school usually has to sweat out the rumors."

• Kansas State Fall 2018 Enrollment - 22,221
  • North Texas Fall 2017 Enrollment - 38,094

Now, I am not sure I am correct, because I studied my math at little old North Texas.   But, I am pretty sure that 38,094 is bigger that 22,221.

Attendance is thrown around a lot by P5 fans who just assume that all the G5 schools are piddly little teaching colleges. For example, the University of Arkansas is at 27,558. Can't tell you how many arkies I know who just assumed North Texas was a 10,000 person school.

North Texas as an institution is more like a P5, than its athletic peers. It took some world class inept leadership to make that the case. Hopefully we're digging our way out of that hole. 

Edited by meangreenlax
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Which begs the question about what to do with big programs like a UCF who is there a UNT who is working towards there. Meanwhile small schools like a wake or Vandy hang out with the party peeps.  There is power in numbers and more engaged alumni means more opportunities for revenues from these bigger pool performing schools. 

GMG

• Upvote 5

Just now, NM Green said:

Which begs the question about what to do with big programs like a UCF who is there a UNT who is working towards there. Meanwhile small schools like a wake or Vandy hang out with the party peeps.  There is power in numbers and more engaged alumni means more opportunities for revenues from these bigger pool performing schools. 

GMG

Well Stated @NMGreenI for one am proud as hell for what UCF has accomplished.  They are what we aspire to be.

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not disagreeing, but that is sad.  We've been playing football for over 100 years, most of it at the highest division, and we aspire to be a program that first began as a D3 program in 1979.

Can't change history.  Past administrations did a terrible job supporting athletics.  All we can do now is "maximize our potential."

2 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not disagreeing, but that is sad.  We've been playing football for over 100 years, most of it at the highest division, and we aspire to be a program that first began as a D3 program in 1979.

World class ineptitude and apathy? From a new fan's perspective (going on 5 years now), it seems like past administrations had to actively try to be as bad as they were. It's mind boggling.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

World class ineptitude and apathy? From a new fan's perspective (going on 5 years now), it seems like past administrations had to actively try to be as bad as they were. It's mind boggling.

They didn’t actively try...they actively DID.

1982 was when we killed that chance of ever being a P5 program. We dropped down to 1-aa (FCS today) and stayed there for 12 years. When we moved up, it was only because the administration realized we could make money by whoring us out for games against bodybag opponents for the next 15 years.

If we had chosen to fund athletics correctly from the administration even in 1995 when we made our way back to I-A (FBS today) we probably are in one of the two higher G5 leagues today, like Boise State did at the same time and UCF did in 1996 and USF did in 2001. But we didn’t. And that is the payment for that apathy and loathing of athletics around here in Old Denton.

• Upvote 5

With every crash of the wrecking ball at Fouts Field I think of Alfred F. Hurley, the biggest detriment to athletic progress in the history of the school..well, maybe J.C. Matthews qualifies, too.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, drex said:

With every crash of the wrecking ball at Fouts Field I think of Alfred F. Hurley, the biggest detriment to athletic progress in the history of the school..well, maybe J.C. Matthews qualifies, too.

Was Hurley that bad? He changed our name to UNT and was there when we went back to D1. Not sure any back stories on him but he was always nice when he came to watch practice.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They didn’t actively try...they actively DID.

1982 was when we killed that chance of ever being a P5 program. We dropped down to 1-aa (FCS today) and stayed there for 12 years. When we moved up, it was only because the administration realized we could make money by whoring us out for games against bodybag opponents for the next 15 years.

If we had chosen to fund athletics correctly from the administration even in 1995 when we made our way back to I-A (FBS today) we probably are in one of the two higher G5 leagues today, like Boise State did at the same time and UCF did in 1996 and USF did in 2001. But we didn’t. And that is the payment for that apathy and loathing of athletics around here in Old Denton.

And then we hired a dude who was not qualified to be an AD and kept him for 15 years while our peers and the college sports landscape passed us by.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

And then we hired a dude who was not qualified to be an AD and kept him for 15 years while our peers and the college sports landscape passed us by.

I think those 15 years may have been worse than anything else, including briefly dropping down. Those years from 03-16 saw a massive shift, due in large part mass media, than I think ever before. Winning, facilities, fundraising, popularity of the sport, conference shifts, tv deals etc. were all spiking at unprecedented levels. It was polarizing to be frank. And then there we were...

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think those 15 years may have been worse than anything else, including briefly dropping down. Those years from 03-16 saw a massive shift, due in large part mass media, than I think ever before. Winning, facilities, fundraising, popularity of the sport, conference shifts, tv deals etc. were all spiking at unprecedented levels. It was polarizing to be frank. And then there we were...

I think it’s a good argument. The RV years did bring in 17 donors who paid for a lot of stuff, though. 

Those I-aa years were as poor as you can imagine. We wore Pony shoes while everyone else we played had Nike, Reebok, or Adidas. It was just brutal playing a SLC team from Louisiana at Fouts in front of a few thousand (or hundreds) by year end.

12 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Can't change history.  Past administrations did a terrible job supporting athletics.  All we can do now is "maximize our potential."

Mostly definitely because some of us who’ve followed the good , the bad & the ugly of all this closing in on half a century are most definitely running out of time to see the “P word” realized. 

GMG!

• Upvote 1