So help me understand

emmitt01

CUSA has a bowl tie in with the First Responders Bowl

CUSA has a 9 win team 40 miles from where the First Responders Bowl is played...and that team will bring 20k+ at a minimum to this game

So the First Responders Bowl ends up being played between Boston College (ACC) and Boise  State (Mountain West)...neither of which is anywhere close to the bowl site

Makes perfect sense

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

CUSA has a 9 win team 40 miles from where the First Responders Bowl is played...and that team will bring 20k+ at a minimum to this game

So the First Responders Bowl ends up being played between Boston College (ACC) and Boise  State (Mountain West)...neither of which is anywhere close to the bowl site

Makes perfect sense

I think ESPN patted our esteemed commissioner on the head and said "let the grown ups handle it...we're gonna put a team that was on GameDay this year and one of our G5 darlings in this game...better TV...now piss off"

Our commissioner: "but that's our bowl and we have plenty of bowl eligible teams!"

Espn: "Lol" *click*

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Makes perfect sense

Don’t you remember the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau and the city turned down the big money request from ESPN because the game doesn’t fill hotel rooms. They don’t CARE about the ticket sales, they want hotel rooms to get city money. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arkstfan said:

Don’t you remember the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau and the city turned down the big money request from ESPN because the game doesn’t fill hotel rooms. They don’t CARE about the ticket sales, they want hotel rooms to get city money. 

That doesn't answer his question as to the why a CUSA team in general was left out. Some have explained it to the tune of it was EITHER Gasparilla OR FR Bowl that ESPN was going to give CUSA. I don't know if that's written somewhere in the tie-in (that CUSA can't have both, but 1), but that is how WB sort of tried to explain it. So, they CHOSE the gaspiralla rather than the FR and it left 3 teams (SoMiss, Marshall, UNT) for 2 bowl slots (New Mexico/Gasparilla). Since Marshall went to NM last year they put Marshall in Florida and that sent us to NM. It all sounds convoluted, mismanaged, and just fishy. But whatever. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That doesn't answer his question as to the why a CUSA team in general was left out. Some have explained it to the tune of it was EITHER Gasparilla OR FR Bowl that ESPN was going to give CUSA. I don't know if that's written somewhere in the tie-in (that CUSA can't have both, but 1), but that is how WB sort of tried to explain it. So, they CHOSE the gaspiralla rather than the FR and it left 3 teams (SoMiss, Marshall, UNT) for 2 bowl slots (New Mexico/Gasparilla). Since Marshall went to NM last year they put Marshall in Florida and that sent us to NM. It all sounds convoluted, mismanaged, and just fishy. But whatever. 

And you have a bowl eligible team that travels left out while the conferences bowls get filled with other teams...I have to think SoMiss's leadership is beside themselves....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No, that's funny.  SoMiss folks gotta be raging out. I understand leaving out FCS UTSA last year. But SoMiss is one of the original CUSA members with a strong fanbase.  

USM fans loathe being stuck behind in this iteration of CUSA. Their only problem is that they are in a podunk TV market—which is all that seems to rule the day.

@emmitt01 one impression I got from Wren was that it was A higher priority (to who? I don’t know) to make sure Marshal did not go to the NMBowl again, which somehow meant we don’t go to FR.

i wish we had more details about all this. I don’t know why this was an either/or scenario and we couldn’t satisfy both UNT-to-FR and Marshall-not-in-NM

Well, if we're all hot and bothered about not being able to send fans to NM because it is "so far away", how do you think Marshall fans would have felt being sent to Albuquerque a 2nd year in a row?  At that distance from WV nobody is thinking about setting up charter bus rides, etc.  What happened made sense.  You may not like it, but it makes sense.