Utah State - 1997

CMJ

Maybe the craziest (and best?) football game I've ever seen in person.

It was the last game of the regular season.  After beating Texas Tech and playing with A&M for three quarters we limped in with a 3-7 record.  Utah State had already clinched the Big West title.  There were like....2K fans at Fouts that day.  Utah State had a pretty decent lead going into the 4th quarter and the few fans there started to leave.  However, we made a big comeback.  Then the two teams traded the lead like six times in the last five minutes of the game.  I think twice in the last 50 seconds. 

We scored on a game-winning TD pass as time expired.  

The game had no ramifications as far as titles or what not and we ended the year at 4-7.  Still....perhaps the best game ever played in Fouts.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3

Sorry....referenced this game in another thread.

This game was one of the games that lead me to theorize that North Texas plays its best games in front of its smallest crowds. Lance's last game against MTSU also comes to mind.

Sadly there is a corollary to the theory: some of it's worst losses (not necessarily by points) have come in front of some of its biggest crowds.

See you in ABQ.

GMG