What USU Fans Are Saying about UNT and NM Bowl

DeepGreen

Re: New Mexico bowl is official

Post by Aggie84025 » Today, 1:52 pm

With Wells leaving and us losing to boise as well, I think this is a good spot. I am just thankful it is not the potato bowl. While the drive is short it is just not intriguing to me. North Texas is a good team and will be a real tough opponent. If we had our full staff here I would feel confident about this game, but with a depleted staff I am worried about a let down. Hopefully the players are motivated to go and perform well. Had a great time we played there a few years ago.

USU Fan Forum LINK

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

North Texas did a huge favor for USU when we led the way to sponsor them for SBC membership.  They were most appreciative of our school for helping them, too.

The Aggies will be the first ranked team (#25) for our favorite school to play in a bowl game.  That makes this a very special opportunity for the Mean Green.

Agreed,this will be a great challenge for the Meangreen 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

North Texas did a huge favor for USU when we led the way to sponsor them for SBC membership.  They were most appreciative of our school for helping them, too.

Then that same SCUMBAG school turned around stabbed in the back the very schools that had stooped to help them. USU can burn in hell for all I care, and take Karl and Rance with them. I hate that we are having to associate with them on any level.

They have proven themselves to be pure trash.

Edited by ADLER
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Then that same SCUMBAG school turned around stabbed in the back the very schools that had stooped to help them. USU can burn in hell for all I care, and take Karl and Rance with them. I hate that we are having to associate with them on any level.

Just beat the hell out of these Aggies, ADLER, to get sweet revenge.

(Never heard. you this expressive—EVER)!😳

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Please elaborate.  Not familiar with this story.

30 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Yahoo bowl rankings named this the 12th best bowl out of the 39 bowls! 

There you go. 

I think the NM Bowl will be a barn-burner & if we beat the Top 25 USU Aggies maybe that translates to pre-2019 Top 25 votes leading up to the UHouston game at Apogee & then the PAC12 Cal Bears also in Apogee.  There is a path for Top 25 rankings in Denton—both OldDenton & NewDenton!  

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

There you go. 

I think the NM Bowl will be a barn-burner & if we beat the Top 25 USU Aggies maybe that translates to pre-2019 Top 25 votes leading up to the UHouston game at Apogee & then the PAC12 Cal Bears also in Apogee.  There is a path for Top 25 rankings in Denton—both OldDenton & NewDenton!  

Top 25 sort of. We will not be preseason ranked in any poll. And we're playing Cal in California next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Top 25 sort of. We will not be preseason ranked in any poll. And we're playing Cal in California next year. 

My bad on Cal part.  They “SHOULD”  be playing in Denton!  Wren?!?!😆

Mostly talking Top 25 points that can lead to a Top 25 ranking. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

47 minutes ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

Yahoo bowl rankings named this the 12th best bowl out of the 39 bowls! 

The NM Bowl provides one of the best matchup opportunities for CUSA during bowl season. This shouldn't surprise any of us.

I won't make the game. Can't due to budget, having a family of 5 kids including a 2 month old, and time frame. For those who can make it, please do. If you can make it, don't talk down to those who can't (not that I've seen this). We have had discussions of joining the Mountain West Conference conference to hopefully follow TCU's path. Now that we have a bowl game against the Mountain West at a relatively close destination (New Mexico), we as a fan base are complaining. This is a good opportunity. I just don't understand why we've had discussions hoping to join the MW conference and are now complaining about playing against this conference. Somebody please help with that? If it's just the financial aspect on such a short turnaround then I understand.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The NM Bowl provides one of the best matchup opportunities for CUSA during bowl season. This shouldn't surprise any of us.

I won't make the game. Can't due to budget, having a family of 5 kids including a 2 month old, and time frame. For those who can make it, please do. If you can make it, don't talk down to those who can't (not that I've seen this). We have had discussions of joining the Mountain West Conference conference to hopefully follow TCU's path. Now that we have a bowl game against the Mountain West at a relatively close destination (New Mexico), we as a fan base are complaining. This is a good opportunity. I just don't understand why we've had discussions hoping to join the MW conference and are now complaining about playing against this conference. Somebody please help with that? If it's just the financial aspect on such a short turnaround then I understand.

I think the MWC discussions on this forum revolves around the excitement of the kinds of teams they could bring TO Denton for basketball and football. It's never really been around the premise of, 'man I can't wait to get out to Fresno for the game'. It would debunk the ideology of regionalizing conferences, but we would without doubt be in a more competitive football and basketball conference. Traveling fan attendance would obviously struggle for teams coming to Denton and for Mean Green fans traveling to away games, but it would better position us as a competitive athletic program moving forward. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

CUSA East schools can’t be closer than what many have expressed wanting UNT to be in a proposed  MWC East as a member with some schools from CUSA West in it—-that would be the only way to make it work.

MWC has more Top 25 programs that makes CUSA look like NCAA football novices.

🤔Who knows, maybe USU can return a big favor & sponsor us one day in such a MWC East division setup?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I think the MWC discussions on this forum revolves around the excitement of the kinds of teams they could bring TO Denton for basketball and football. It's never really been around the premise of, 'man I can't wait to get out to Fresno for the game'. It would debunk the ideology of regionalizing conferences, but we would without doubt be in a more competitive football and basketball conference. Traveling fan attendance would obviously struggle for teams coming to Denton and for Mean Green fans traveling to away games, but it would better position us as a competitive athletic program moving forward. 

Look where all the MWC bowl games are played.

16 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Look where all the MWC bowl games are played.

That's kind of irrelevant since we're playing in one of the CUSA/MWC bowls. And one of the MWC teams are playing in one of the CUSA tie-in games. Plus bowls are typically regional so they would take that into consideration when they add/shift/subtract or do whatever to the inevitable bowl shifting. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's kind of irrelevant since we're playing in one of the CUSA/MWC bowls. And one of the MWC teams are playing in one of the CUSA tie-in games. Plus bowls are typically regional so they would take that into consideration when they add/shift/subtract or do whatever to the inevitable bowl shifting. 

In mwc New Mexico Bowl is nearest to us.

Regional? Why is San Diego playing in Frisco?

https://mwwire.com/2018/12/02/2018-new-mexico-bowl-utah-state-vs-north-texas/

On defense, the Mean Green its scoring defense is top 30 in points per game, top, 35 in yards per play allowed and plus eight on the year in turnover margin. This will be one of the tougher matchup the Aggies have faced all year.