2018 New Mexico Bowl Info on Utah State

Harry

Utah State (10-2, 7-1 in Mountain West)

The Aggies had an amazing year and were a serious New Year’s Six bowl option until they lost on the last day of the regular season to Boise State. That also kept them out of the Mountain West title game, but it shouldn’t distract from them being a quality team. They’re safely in the top 25 in both in human polls and S&P+, with a good offense and a solid defense to back it. Jordan Love, with his 28:5 touchdowns-to-interceptions ratio, is one of the country’s best under-discussed players.They lost head coach Matt Wells to Texas Tech after the regular season, but his players are still here and still good.

read more:  https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/2/17563248/new-mexico-bowl-2018-north-texas-vs-utah-state-where-when-and-team-info

6 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

Probably. For them being ranked and getting us, like, the 4th team in CUSA has to be a tough pill to swallow

This is beside the point of this thread - but - Are we sure we got 4th place? I actually sent a note to C-USA about this yesterday, because the CUSA Championship game showed the following in West: 1 - UAB, 2 - North Texas, 3 - SO Miss, 4 - LA Tech.  However, CUSA site shows this: 1 - UAB, 2 - North Texas, 3 - LA Tech, 4 - SO Miss. Technically, it's a 3-way tie for 2nd place with our conference division records, but our overall record is notably better than the other 2.  We lost to LA Tech, but beat SM. LA Tech beat us, but lost to SM. SM beat LA Tech, but lost to us. Either way, both sources quoted us as ending up in 2nd place.  Not that it means anything now, but 2nd sounds better than 4th. Just throwing that out there. 

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 1.54.17 PM.png

Edited by Jessica M Hall
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Here’s the good news; no need to buy tickets before you show up for the game.  There will be ZERO difficulty getting seats anywhere you want in that stadium.

Hey, I was actually pondering this exact thing.  I may buy tickets the day before so I can be the only dumbass at the 50yd line in green. The wife is cool with us driving out there. I’m putting my notice into my boss in the a.m.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jessica M Hall said:

This is beside the point of this thread - but - Are we sure we got 4th place? I actually sent a note to C-USA about this yesterday, because the CUSA Championship game showed the following in West: 1 - UAB, 2 - North Texas, 3 - SO Miss, 4 - LA Tech.  However, CUSA site shows this: 1 - UAB, 2 - North Texas, 3 - LA Tech, 4 - SO Miss. Technically, it's a 3-way tie for 2nd place with our conference records, but our overall record is notably better than the other 2.  We lost to LA Tech, but beat SM. LA Tech beat us, but lost to SM. SM beat LA Tech, but lost to us. Either way, both sources quoted us as ending up in 2nd place.  Not that it means anything now, but 2nd sounds better than 4th. Just throwing that out there. 

That is setup in order of overall ranking. We were 3rd in the west behind UAB and LaTech. LaTech and us have same record they beat us. SoMiss and us have same record we beat them. That puts us as #3. As far as CUSA goes as a whole, we're not better than their like 6th place team...or at least the scoreboard said we weren't. We're probably 4th or 5th best team in CUSA, give or take. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

What? You don't have faith that Interim Head Coach Graham Harrell will lead us to victory? 

*cries in spanish*

I have a 1 out of 3 amount of faith in us beating a winning team. We haven't played a 10 win team since FAU last year and well, there is no need to recollect those final scores...

HOWEVER, we have played like 2 or 3 10 loss teams. And won by like 6 to 9 points, combined. So, we got that going for us. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So Marshall gets to come to Dallas with a 8-4 record.....wonder how many fans they'll bring. Yet...NT gets to go to New Mexico with a 9-3 record. Obviously...the powers that make these decisions aren't worried about attendance. Only good thing I can see is for those who want to jump to the MWC this is your bowl.

12 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

So Marshall gets to come to Dallas with a 8-4 record.....wonder how many fans they'll bring. Yet...NT gets to go to New Mexico with a 9-3 record. Obviously...the powers that make these decisions aren't worried about attendance. Only good thing I can see is for those who want to jump to the MWC this is your bowl.

Source? 

If so, it better have not been due to a decision made by UNT.

10 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Very few.  Emmitt and I attended the Fort Worth Bowl in ‘04 and Marshall had about 300, and that’s including their band.

Rick

13 minutes ago, greenminer said:

USU is the 10 win program in the T25.

to me this isn’t really about shame or disgrace, it’s just a testament to how ridiculous the bowl system is.

The team we are playing is good. The bowl game is bad. Second year in row on graduation day is unbelievably bad. They honestly must not care about attendance at all. 

Utah State is a good ranked team. No other C-USA bowl team got a better opponent. The New Mexico Bowl is still better then being sent to the Potato Bowl, like BYU got stuck with.

Don't really understand why the First Responders Bowl got Boise State. I know they have a good following, but they will not deliver the crowd size North Texas would have. I guess a local Big12 team (TCU/Baylor) will land in this bowl, and had no interest in losing to the Mean Green. I hope the First Responders Bowl has a lower attendance then last season.

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

Utah State is a good ranked team. No other C-USA bowl team got a better opponent. The New Mexico Bowl is still better then being sent to the Potato Bowl, like BYU got stuck with.

Don't really understand why the First Responders Bowl got Boise State. I know they have a good following, but they will not deliver the crowd size North Texas would have. I guess a local Big12 team (TCU/Baylor) will land in this bowl, and had no interest in losing to the Mean Green. I hope the First Responders Bowl has a lower attendance then last season.

it's Boston College/Boise

Just now, CaribbeanGreen said:

it's Boston College/Boise

Wow. I guess they are working hard to insure their attendance will be lower then last season. Knowing this, I'm willing to bet this bowl willing be moving to a new city in the very near future. ESPN isn't doing much to make this bowl more attractive to Dallas.

2 hours ago, Jessica M Hall said:

This is beside the point of this thread - but - Are we sure we got 4th place? I actually sent a note to C-USA about this yesterday, because the CUSA Championship game showed the following in West: 1 - UAB, 2 - North Texas, 3 - SO Miss, 4 - LA Tech.  However, CUSA site shows this: 1 - UAB, 2 - North Texas, 3 - LA Tech, 4 - SO Miss. Technically, it's a 3-way tie for 2nd place with our conference division records, but our overall record is notably better than the other 2.  We lost to LA Tech, but beat SM. LA Tech beat us, but lost to SM. SM beat LA Tech, but lost to us. Either way, both sources quoted us as ending up in 2nd place.  Not that it means anything now, but 2nd sounds better than 4th. Just throwing that out there. 

That's the West. You're excluding the entire other half of the conference.