DRC: Source confirms -- UNT headed to New Mexico Bowl

Brett Vito

13 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Been thinking about this the last day and a half... Bowl season may be one further indication of the broader economic issues at play in the U.S. > the economy is purring, but wages across the board remain flat or dipping.

I'm bracing for an eventual article to fall in line of aRe MiLlEnIaLs KiLlInG bOwL gAmEs ToO!? To which we'll collectively respond, "no, we really want to go, but the income is not there." It hasn't been there for nearly twenty years, and does not seem to be coming any time soon. The luxuries of our parents will never be expressed in my generation or thereafter. We'll be making our own way in that regard.

Millennials just don’t have the extra money laying around to hop on a plane last minute to go someplace. It’s either their rent money or go to the bowl game. In addition, this is during the holidays where you have to also buy gifts. I think that’s why a lot of people wanted the bowl game locally to save money. I just didn’t think our fan base was hurting that bad financially. 

• Thanks 3

20 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Gas is 2.00 a gallon.... drive.  

Ill give you round trip plus 250 miles to drive all around Albuquerque. That’s 1,484 miles from Denton and back with some wiggle room.  My car can get 500 miles to a tank on hwy let’s say 400 for giggles.  That’s 3.71 tanks of gas I’ll need to get there.  My tank holds 18 gallons, at $2.20 a gallon which is currently $ .40 above what it is all over DFW is $39.60 a tank.  Call it an even 4 tanks, you’ll need $158.40 in gas.  Pack a case of water, some Red Bull, and snacks.  We will call it 60 bucks.  Hotel room, big $$.  Found a Sheraton for 120 a night after taxes.  Take a friend that’s 60 a piece per night.  Now you’re sitting at 338.40.  Food? Drinks? Ticket.  That’s all ya got left.  Point being.  If anyone wants to make this work, it’s possible.  May not get to be the lavish NO trip I get it, but if one wants to go, you can definitely make it happen.  I will be there.  

Speak for yourself.  The money is one thing they time commitment is another.   I am not complaining about the Bowl it is just reality.   These bowls weren't created and scheduled for fan attendance.  That is the fundamental problem.  These bowls games between G5 school that could schedule each other for a regular season matchup easily are kind of pointless.  It is all about what the local has to offer.  For New Mexico that isn't much especially at this time a year.  And I wouldn't recommend driving those mountain roads tired and in the snow.  The New Mexico Bowl is just a bad fit geographically for everyone in the conference besides UTSA.   I admire your dedication but please be safe and God's speed to you.  

• Lovely Take 1

22 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

I found several available direct flights on American Airlines and on SW Airlines. That was, however, a few hours ago.  I ended up using my air miles on AA. Got round trips for two people for a total of $22.40 in fees. If there were “free seats” still available, there were plenty for sale in the range of $413.00 r/t each when I booked ours. Go to the airline sites themselves, not the Orbitz, etc. of the world.

Well, I finally got an advantage to being an old man.Used points for 2 tickets, senior rate at Marriott for one night is $118, cab instead of rental car, cheap trip.Go Eagles!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

These bowls weren't created and scheduled for fan attendance.  That is the fundamental problem.  These bowls games between G5 school that could schedule each other for a regular season matchup easily are kind of pointless.

Exactly. I think the reason why we all got hyped about Dallas/FW/Frisco/etc is that attendance was almost guaranteed to be good. It would have felt like a real postseason experience. The New Mexico Bowl isn't that. It's a good tv matchup, and as such, will probably be more enjoyable from your couch if the alternative is pinching pennies and driving all night to get there. If you can afford to take your time and enjoy ABQ and Santa Fe, I'm sure it'll be lovely.

Edited by meangreenlax
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

The New Mexico Bowl is just a bad fit geographically for everyone in the conference besides UTSA. 

One more comment on the "it's too far" theme.  There are 14 CUSA schools.  We are the 2nd closest out of the 14!  UTSA is actually 116 miles further away (and 2 hours 10 minutes longer) than from Denton.  Other than UTEP, we ARE the closest.  Yes, Frisco, Indy, FR, etc would be nice but guess what ... not a single CUSA team is playing there so it should be time to move on.  Of the CUSA teams I actually think we have the best matchup.  Heck, poor champion UAB is playing 8-5 MAC champ Northern Illinois who lucked into their win over Buffalo.  There should be IMO one CUSA team with a legitimate right to bitch -- Southern Miss.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, vpackrats said:

One more comment on the "it's too far" theme.  There are 14 CUSA schools.  We are the 2nd closest out of the 14!  UTSA is actually 116 miles further away (and 2 hours 10 minutes longer) than from Denton.  Other than UTEP, we ARE the closest.  Yes, Frisco, Indy, FR, etc would be nice but guess what ... not a single CUSA team is playing there so it should be time to move on.  Of the CUSA teams I actually think we have the best matchup.  Heck, poor champion UAB is playing 8-5 MAC champ Northern Illinois who lucked into their win over Buffalo.  There should be IMO one CUSA team with a legitimate right to bitch -- Southern Miss.

Bitching is not pointing out the geographic reality. 🙄.  Albuquerque in winter is not a desirable place to travel to.   Practice time and payday for the program are the only benifits for most of these CUSA Bowl game tie-ins.  Bowl aren't as prestigious as they used to be.  Our Bowl games should be within the geographic footprint of CUSA or at a very desirable comfortable outdoor location like Hawaii, Southern California or the Bahamas.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Bitching is not pointing out the geographic reality. 🙄.  Albuquerque in winter is not a desirable place to travel to.   Practice time and payday for the program are the only benifits for most of these CUSA Bowl game tie-ins.  Bowl aren't as prestigious as they used to be.  Our Bowl games should be within the geographic footprint of CUSA or at a very desirable comfortable outdoor location like Hawaii, Southern California or the Bahamas.  

I thought the knock on NM was that it was too far for fans to travel.   How are any of those other locations better?
And Dec.15th should have fantastic skiing weather in store.   Watch the game in ABQ, then leave that place & go up to Santa Fe & ski.

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought the knock on NM was that it was too far for fans to travel.   How are any of those other locations better?
And Dec.15th should have fantastic skiing weather in store.   Watch the game in ABQ, then leave that place & go up to Santa Fe & ski.

Too far for the payoff.  If we were playing a P5 team location wouldn't matter as much.  Most people don't ski either.  Everyone enjoys a break from cold weather.   

The simple fact is that if this were a regular mid-season OOC matchup Wren Baker bragged about you would laugh at him.  Bowl attendence depends 2 major factors.  

1. Matchup

2. Location

3. Weather

ABQ is far away and has limited activities especially if you don't like the cold.  This on paper to non-skiers looks like a very mediocre experience with a big price tag. 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Too far for the payoff.  If we were playing a P5 team location wouldn't matter as much.  Most people don't ski either.  Everyone enjoys a break from cold weather.   

The simple fact is that if this were a regular mid-season OOC matchup Wren Baker bragged about you would laugh at him.  Bowl attendence depends 2 major factors.  

1. Matchup

2. Location

3. Weather

ABQ is far away and has limited activities especially if you don't like the cold.  This on paper to non-skiers looks like a very mediocre experience with a big price tag. 

I mean, I love the beach just as much as the next guy, but now bringing up a "big price tag..."    The Bahamas, Hawaii, and even SoCal (no bowl for us there though), are way more expensive.   I can go to NM.   I can't go to the Bahamas or Hawaii.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mean, I love the beach just as much as the next guy, but now bringing up a "big price tag..."    The Bahamas, Hawaii, and even SoCal (no bowl for us there though), are way more expensive.   I can go to NM.   I can't go to the Bahamas or Hawaii.

Good for you.  I am just telling you that once you get beyond $1,000 in travel cost people are looking for more than what this Bowl experience has to offer. It as to be a mini-vacation at that price point with more things in the area that you would come to area for without the game.  Only true diehards or rich are going to this game.  I just think CUSA and bowl game committees need to be smarter.  Maybe offering refundable bowl game travel packages to preseason favorite teams.  I would have deposited on a travel package to Hawaii or Bahamas if one was promised to a 2 in division or better Mean Green team at the beginning of the season.  And if they didn't make it you might just go anyway because you like the destination.