DRC: Source confirms -- UNT headed to New Mexico Bowl

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

I don't think the New Mexico Bowl is the real problem here.  We will be playing a very good team in Utah State. I just think is what is going on with our coaching staff that just makes it feel worse.

What is going on with our coaching staff?

• Lovely Take 1

It is a great match-up. Location is kind of meh, but still a great opponent.  Unfortunately, they seem to be a much better team than us.  If we have our head coach, I think we have an even shot.  With an interim coach and the lack of enthusiasm from the players, I don't have high hopes.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Is it worth driving 9 hours to sit in an empty stadium? Probably not.

Why do you think it will be empty? Not far from either University. Should get some local attendees as well as it is an “early bowl” and USU is a top 25 team and we are pretty intriguing for some with out “QB story” and recent turn around. Plus, Mean Green will travel pretty well I believe. I know several that booked their hotel, airfare, etc. today...myself included.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

3 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

And some of the primary "bitchers" literally said last year that they hated going to NOLA vs Troy. And the NM bowl vs colorado state would have been so much better. The very same people are on here complaining about the NM bowl this year. If you want the power to select "your" bowl, a fan can do that. There will be plenty of tickets available at the DFW bowls for fans that don't wish to travel.

Thank you for this.  Spot on.  I woulda given you a like but maxed out my emojis for today.  And I would add Utah State has a much better record than Colorado State did last year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There isn't a flight for $400. Does WB have super secret person booking his flight for him? 

Personally, I am seeing 0 direct flights. The cheapest is a two stop flight for $580. A 1 stop flight will run you around $630. 

I found several available direct flights on American Airlines and on SW Airlines. That was, however, a few hours ago.  I ended up using my air miles on AA. Got round trips for two people for a total of $22.40 in fees. If there were “free seats” still available, there were plenty for sale in the range of $413.00 r/t each when I booked ours. Go to the airline sites themselves, not the Orbitz, etc. of the world.

• Lovely Take 1

11 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

I found several available direct flights on American Airlines and on SW Airlines. That was, however, a few hours ago.  I ended up using my air miles on AA. Got round trips for two people for a total of $22.40 in fees. If there were “free seats” still available, there were plenty for sale in the range of $413.00 r/t each when I booked ours. Go to the airline sites themselves, not the Orbitz, etc. of the world.

Ahhh..I just went to the general drop down priceline site. We will more than likely drive, I was just looking earlier to see what the prices were. 

• Upvote 1

Garbage bowl. Garbage location (NM is probably nice but travel to/from on a short turn around isn't going to work out well for us). Good opponent but with zero brand recognition. 

I have a hard time believing that the players will by hyped up for this one. See North Texas @ Troy in the NOLA bowl last year.

Well, I have to disagree a bit. I think the players will like this much more than if we had gotten Dallas or Frisco. Plus, it is at a time more of our fans can go (not much of a holiday family conflict) and is definitely close enough to drive if flights are too expensive. Team hotel (Marriott Albuquerque on Louisiana St) has rooms at a very decent rate (and much lower than I paid for NO last year). It is more of a destination than Dallas or Frisco for most our fans plus Santa Fe is only a short hour drive away. And, Santa Fe is a great place to visit...even for a few hours. The Plaza is great. Albuquerque has “old town” with a few nice restaurants, etc. For a quick out and back, the New Mexico Bowl provides a different environment than Dallas for a reasonable cost. So, I am good with it, and think the Utah St. match-up is a good one for us...a bit of a tough one too.  Plus, I can make this one! So, it is a bingo for me.

And, for some here...I believe Seth will be coaching the Mean Green in this bowl as he will be in September of 2019.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

$400? Seems like a hopeful estimate. Not much of a spin job, Wren.

$1,600 for a family of 4, plus car, plus hotel, plus tickets, plus food, plus misc spending.  Let's just call is $2,500!  Good thing there's no expensive holiday happening around the same time.  GMG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip Ferguson said:

$1,600 for a family of 4, plus car, plus hotel, plus tickets, plus food, plus misc spending.  Let's just call is $2,500!  Good thing there's no expensive holiday happening around the same time.  GMG

Ya that’s part of the expense of traveling, nothing new. 

• Lovely Take 2

6 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So in other words, ESPN cares more about eye balls TV's, regardless if it's a dead ass atmosphere at all of these games? Wouldn't it take away from the intrigue to watch the game if the stands are fanless? 

People in general, especially the younger generations watch tv, streams etc more than traveling or actually going to events. Don’t have the money to spend I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, risinggreen said:

Sadly, this is the only date of our potential bowels that I likely can't make. I like to ski too, and have spent probably twenty nights in Albuquerque over the years. Oh well, I like our opponent in this bowl pretty well. Not a long wait for the game either. Is this our first bowl game on big boy ESPN?

Hee hee

• Lovely Take 1

yup. this is about the reaction I anticipated. 

for those unfamiliar, ABQ is a great city...especially if you enjoy beer. there are at least a dozen breweries in various pockets of the city...my favorites are Dialogue (great space too) Bow&Arrow and Tractor, but there are numerous others. 

I also strongly recommend checking out the Sandia Mountains and taking the tram up to the top. 

Airbnb has a bunch of affordable rooms and entire spaces available...you can find an entire private space from around $60 a night...an extra room in someone's home for far less.

• Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

yup. this is about the reaction I anticipated. 

for those unfamiliar, ABQ is a great city...especially if you enjoy beer. there are at least a dozen breweries in various pockets of the city...my favorites are Dialogue (great space too) Bow&Arrow and Tractor, but there are numerous others. 

I also strongly recommend checking out the Sandia Mountains and taking the tram up to the top. 

Airbnb has a bunch of affordable rooms and entire spaces available...you can find an entire private space from around $60 a night...an extra room in someone's home for far less.

ABQ will be a great weekend trip.  Honestly I think people are butt hurt because they live in Dallas and it inconveniences them.  For those of us out of town the FRB totally sucks.  Its the worst possible date and time.   ABQ  is a 300 dollar flight from Houston and a far better destination than Dallas.  Unfortunately i have to decide between the game or my daughters birthday party.  Not sure I can miss that.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Unfortunately i have to decide between the game or my daughters birthday party.  Not sure I can miss that.  

Similar situation. My parents are renewing their annual Christmas party, which the wife and I committed to weeks ago. Can't make it in person, but no one can talk to me about anything else until 0:00.

10 hours ago, Andrew said:

CUSA was left out of the Frisco Bowl, Armed Forces, and Independence bowl. Seems like the conference got a bit Shafted. CUSA team were projected to play in them...

Bowl projections are just that ... projections and have no real basis in reality. It's a way for various outlets like ESPN to drive clicks.

• Upvote 1

Been thinking about this the last day and a half... Bowl season may be one further indication of the broader economic issues at play in the U.S. > the economy is purring, but wages across the board remain flat or dipping.

I'm bracing for an eventual article to fall in line of aRe MiLlEnIaLs KiLlInG bOwL gAmEs ToO!? To which we'll collectively respond, "no, we really want to go, but the income is not there." It hasn't been there for nearly twenty years, and does not seem to be coming any time soon. The luxuries of our parents will never be expressed in my generation or thereafter. We'll be making our own way in that regard.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

Honestly I think people are butt hurt because they live in Dallas and it inconveniences them.  

I've already booked my trip and hotel (in Santa Fe).  Who I am concerned about is students.  Friday is still a finals day, that will prohibit a bunch of them from driving down on Friday.  The game is at noon so they can't leave Saturday morning.  

13 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Been thinking about this the last day and a half... Bowl season may be one further indication of the broader economic issues at play in the U.S. > the economy is purring, but wages across the board remain flat or dipping.

I'm bracing for an eventual article to fall in line of aRe MiLlEnIaLs KiLlInG bOwL gAmEs ToO!? To which we'll collectively respond, "no, we really want to go, but the income is not there." It hasn't been there for nearly twenty years, and does not seem to be coming any time soon. The luxuries of our parents will never be expressed in my generation or thereafter. We'll be making our own way in that regard.

I'm glad you mentioned this.

$400+ Round trip plane ticket

$200+ for accomodations

More $ for food/drinks/gear

Total cost ~$700+ two weeks before Christmas.

Disposable income sounds pretty awesome. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1