DRC: Source confirms -- UNT headed to New Mexico Bowl

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

But that is the fishiest part of all of this? The choice is there. The tie-in is present. A power move was made to push us out to New Mexico it sounds like to open up that slot for the two teams playing in the FR Bowl. I just want to know why. It is what it is, and that's not changing. But some real explanation would be good. You know, accountability purposes. 

I dont think the tie was present.  It sounds like the "tie in" was either Dallas or gasparilla, not both.

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

But that is the fishiest part of all of this? The choice is there. The tie-in is present. A power move was made to push us out to New Mexico it sounds like to open up that slot for the two teams playing in the FR Bowl. I just want to know why. It is what it is, and that's not changing. But some real explanation would be good. You know, accountability purposes. 

It’s not all just choices though.  Contracts, ESPN, bowl histories, etc all complicate this.

youre trying to simplify something that’s not simple.

25 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Not what he said at all.  League could pick either/or.  CUSA decided to put Marshall in Gasparilla bowl instead of us in the FR.

That's I read it. And for what it's worth, had UNT went to First Responders then Marshall would have been in New Mexico again. Can't imagine that would have went well in Huntington. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

I dont think the tie was present.  It sounds like the "tie in" was either Dallas or gasparilla, not both.

I see. I hate that. Gives too much maneuverability for the sake of TV dollars. If it's a tie-in it's a tie-in, if it's not then it's not. It gave us a lesser bowl and gave SoMiss the shaft. A shaft that we very well could receive in the future. I bet the 4 or 5 six win teams were probably exclusively from CUSA and the Belt. Also the only 2 conferences not playing a P5 opponent. 

• Downvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

This makes perfect sense.  

If you are a coach about to walk out the door and need to get busy recruiting for your next employer, but want to coach your current team one more time, which bowl do you try to get into...the first one of the season.  

Also, it gives the current North Texas recruiting commits time to follow you to the next place.  

Yep. If I'm Wren and SL does take the KSU job, I tell him no and to go ahead. If we're going to have to move on, let's rip the bandaid off and start the process. 

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

Nope. I have student loans to pay. If you can afford $1,000 to go to the NM Bowl, have fun. 

I have a wife, one kid in braces, a wife, a second kid getting braces, a wife, mortgage, kid's college fund, etc...  Welcome to life. Bitching about everything makes it less enjoyable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Would have definitely gone to Gasparilla Bowl... and dollar for dollar you could have probably done the trip to St Pete for cheaper and at least been in Florida vs 45 degree Albuquerque.  And the week before Christmas is probably a lot better chance of catching fans willing to travel vs a busy weekend two weekends before Christmas.

We must be super confident we won't have a Head Coach that late into Dec to go to either of the mentioned bowls...  If GH is Interim Head Coach for a bowl game, and we know our HC doesn't call plays... does that mean we're possibly free of GH's play calling? 😂

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

For those that are always crabbing about conference affiliation and pining for us to go to the Mountain West Conference?

Well now here’s your chance folks.  

For one weekend you finally get to see how much of a bitch it is to have to play in a different time zone, only it would be every other weekend for us every season.

Rick

Actually, it would only be 4 away games, not “half”(6) since our OOC schedule would still be up to us...  and heck yeah!!!!!  UAB is the best team in our conference and only barely sniffed the top 25 voting.

MWC had 3 teams actually in the top 25 this year.   If being in that conference provided even a miniscule edge in getting top 25 votes, it’s worth it.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Great and for all those who can't afford to go,we need to make a donation to the program.  Even if is just around the $100 you had budgeted for a local bowl game.

I'd go ahead and save that $100... If Wren isn't shy about saying the NM Bowl is the "right choice", what exactly do you think he's going to do next year with ticket prices?

Ticket prices up 5 to 10 percent, a new head coach (maybe Graham!!), and I'm sure the required donation for the blue lot season pass will climb to some awful number.

wE bEaT ArKanSaS! oUr pRoGraM is eLeVatEd! - Wren

• Downvote 9

17 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I have a wife, one kid in braces, a wife, a second kid getting braces, a wife, mortgage, kid's college fund, etc...  Welcome to life. Bitching about everything makes it less enjoyable. 

How many wives do you have, and do they know each other?

2 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Two years in a row getting to bowl against former SunBelt foes.

tenor.gif

ok, the meme makes it pretty funny.  But, Utah State was only in like a year or 2 in early 2000's and has done very well for themselves since that time going to WAC and now MWC.  They are a definite upgrade in opponents for us.

1 minute ago, meangreanmick said:

ok, the meme makes it pretty funny.  But, Utah State was only in like a year or 2 in early 2000's and has done very well for themselves since that time going to WAC and now MWC.  They are a definite upgrade in opponents for us.

Someone said it earlier, this is the best opponent NT has ever faced in a Bowl game. You schmucks wanted a top 25 opponent, we’ll here you go. This is a chance to show the college football world this season wasn’t a fluke. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Actually, it would only be 4 away games, not “half”(6) since our OOC schedule would still be up to us...  and heck yeah!!!!!  UAB is the best team in our conference and only barely sniffed the top 25 voting.

MWC had 3 teams actually in the top 25 this year.   If being in that conference provided even a miniscule edge in getting top 25 votes, it’s worth it.

If MWC opens a slot for us, we don't hesitate. That's a no brainer. They had a team over the weekend with already 2 losses playing the their conf championship game and lost. This team (Boise) was ranked in the 20's. After a loss, still ranked. This would happen in the land of the CUSABelt approximately never. It shows the amount of respect the media and voters have for this conference. It'd be a good conference to be in. It would play itself difficult for other sports though that have to travel much more than 4 times a season. I think CUSABelt needs to be blown up and strictly regionalized. It's the for sure thing we can do to sustain success through attendance dollars/fan interest. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Got5onIt said:

Someone said it earlier, this is the best opponent NT has ever faced in a Bowl game. You schmucks wanted a top 25 opponent, we’ll here you go. This is a chance to show the college football world this season wasn’t a fluke. 

I mean, they're top 25 in 1 of 3 polls. The point still stands, but they are not a bonafide top 25 team and during the broadcast of this game there will not be a ranking next to their name because those rankings are pulled from the CFB Playoff rankings and USU is ranked only in the coaches poll, not AP or CFBP. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Two years in a row getting to bowl against former SunBelt foes.

tenor.gif

Utah State was in the Sun Belt!? TIL.

Alright, now that a couple hours have passed, and I can see what others in our conference are dealing with, I'm checking my initial gut reaction. Am I supremely sad that there is no way I can make this one? Yes. Did we get probably the best outcome of the worst CUSA lot this year? Also, yes.

I could also see a coaching scenario where if Littrell & co. do get scooped up, they'll do the honorable thing á la Scott Frost and stay through our bowl game. I'm just hoping we have a strong game against a legit game against a top-rated team, proving we belong in the conversation and retaining some of that stout recruiting class the following week.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1