DRC: Source confirms -- UNT headed to New Mexico Bowl

Brett Vito

All the CUSA match ups kind of suck.  UAB had a great season.   They receiced a lot national press for comming from a shuttered program 2 years ago to conference champs.  Reward?  App State in the New Orleans Bowl?   This "upgrade" to CSUA looks worse each year.   I really believe that regional realignment deal between Sun Belt and CUSA makes sense now.  

• Downvote 2

Just now, greenminer said:

That is not how I am reading this.

It's a little convoluted in his wording. Purposefully or accidental, I don't know. 

Just be transparent. If CUSA is the one tossing us under the bus, say it. If the AD had a say in this and chose New Mexico via player or coaches request, then say that. 

It's just messy responses, "Oh you don't know", "Oh, you didn't hear", 

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

People are bitching like last year because it's a very similar situation. A bowl game 8/9 hours away vs a no name opponent that is better than us. It's easy to take a 3 TD pounding from Minnesota or FSU or even Boise. It's a tough pill to swallow when you're getting thumped (hopefully not) 2 years in a row by teams most people don't even know where their geographical location.  

I understand. But the best "name" opponent CUSA drew was South Florida. At least we got a ranked team.

Just now, Mike Jackson said:

All the CUSA match ups kind of suck.  UAB had a great season.   They receiced a lot national press for comming from a shuttered program 2 years ago to conference champs.  Reward?  App State in the New Orleans Bowl?   This "upgrade" to CSUA looks worse each year.   I really believe that regional realignment deal between Sun Belt and CUSA makes sense now.  

People are just now realizing that this is how the bowls work for the non power conference teams? There is virtually no difference in SBC, MAC, CUSA, AAC and MWC. The vast majority of year’s we’re bowl eligible, we’re going to be matched up with a team from these conferences. Our fans need to wrap their heads around that. It’s the way it is.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure if the administration realizes how many young alumni made the Arkansas game such a success in terms of travel attendance. They won’t be attending this game. Good luck convincing them to drop $1200 they probably don’t have to go to a game in New Mexico. 

Quick edit: I’m not complaining about the matchup (love the chance to bring down a top 25 team), just the location and cost to attend.

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, greeneagle1 said:

This easily turns into a $1200-$1500 trip for two people. 

Airfare $400 ea

2 night hotel $300

rental car for 3 days $150

parking $20-$50

food $150 each

tickets $50 each.

imagine having to take 4 or more people. Too expensive for not a prestigious bowl game.

No different than new orleans, can drive just the same.

• Ray 1

The New Mexico Bowl is certainly considered the lowest tier of bowl game that there is, but I don't really blame Wren Baker, as playing the #23 team (Coaches Poll) is a great opportunity and perhaps the best we could have gotten.  It doesn't sound like CUSA got many great bowl options this season. 

My concern, though, is that we are quite likely to be destroyed by a former Sun Belt conference mate for the second year in a row.  We may be missing quite a few coaches by then, and while I know USU also lost their head coach, I have a hunch that our losses will be far more damaging.

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

How does one bowl supersede another? Shouldn't CUSA teams be inserted into both if they have a team qualified to go? 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/15/16758404/espn-bowls-college-football-playoffs

ESPN makes the decision! They own almost all of them. And they have huge contracts with the P5 leagues. And P5 likes to match up with P5

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

Schools have say. There is no other way to say it They have input, conference commishes have input, conferences have input, bowl sponsorships have input. It's not a process done by throwing darts in the dark. There is input from all angles. WB can make his twitter world very easy by just stating the fact that:

1) CUSA put us in this bowl

2) New Mexico was the only bowl that we received an invite from

3) My coaches and their players wanted to go to this bowl game. 

I will probably make this game regardless. I missed NO last year. So I was going anywhere we went outside of Hawaii. I didn't care about the destination more so than the opponent. If we had Boise out there in NM, then hell yeah. That is a feather in the cap win if we could pull that out. How it is, this is an opportunity to get to 10 wins, which a feather in its own right. But there is no draw to this game outside of that. I am sure Utah State thinks the same thing about us and maybe rightfully so. 

• Lovely Take 1

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Schools have say. There is no other way to say it They have input, conference commishes have input, conferences have input, bowl sponsorships have input. It's not a process done by throwing darts in the dark. There is input from all angles. WB can make his twitter world very easy by just stating the fact that:

1) CUSA put us in this bowl

My best guess is the conference gave higher priority to Marshall not going to NM again over us being in FR. Sounds like they didn’t have the option to satisfy both bases.

Just now, greenminer said:

My best guess is the conference gave higher priority to Marshall not going to NM again over us being in FR. Sounds like they didn’t have the option to satisfy both bases.

But that is the fishiest part of all of this? The choice is there. The tie-in is present. A power move was made to push us out to New Mexico it sounds like to open up that slot for the two teams playing in the FR Bowl. I just want to know why. It is what it is, and that's not changing. But some real explanation would be good. You know, accountability purposes. 

• Downvote 1