DRC: Source confirms -- UNT headed to New Mexico Bowl

Brett Vito

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

First Responders.  Or Frisco. Pretty sure Frisco is a AAC tie in and neither team is a AAC member. If we're going to play an arbitrary opponent, which we are, let's get one where the fans can travel to in droves. 

Turn down a bowl offer and you’re left holding your nuts. How would that go over?

18 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don't think it bitching not to see the value in this bowl game.

1. Program won't get a perception boast by winning by will take a bigger hit if we lose.

2. We don't recruit against Utah State.  So an appearance against them means nothing 

3.  Most fans can't afford to go

4. Getting the least amount of practice time.

7 players on the USU roster are from Texas.

1 minute ago, meangreenJW said:

CUSA didn't have a team in either one. And it appears the bowls aren't selecting based primarily on putting teams where they will sell the most tickets. With ESPN controlling over half the bowls now, I think the selection criteria has changed. The #1 thing is matchups that are compelling for TV. Two programs that historically aren't very good that had really strong seasons playing is what I'm guessing led to the matchup. If ESPN cared that North Texas "will sell more tickets" in a DFW bowl, we'd be in one

So in other words, ESPN cares more about eye balls TV's, regardless if it's a dead ass atmosphere at all of these games? Wouldn't it take away from the intrigue to watch the game if the stands are fanless? 

24 minutes ago, wardly said:

WE have come a long way in the past few years. From playing terrible football to playing in bowl games. And what do we do? Bitch about playing a team that was in top 25 this year.I thought his was the fan base that traveled in the "thousands". What a bunch of crybabies WE are.

And some of the primary "bitchers" literally said last year that they hated going to NOLA vs Troy. And the NM bowl vs colorado state would have been so much better. The very same people are on here complaining about the NM bowl this year. If you want the power to select "your" bowl, a fan can do that. There will be plenty of tickets available at the DFW bowls for fans that don't wish to travel.

• Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

9 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

No doubt but that's not exactly a great selling point for a passionate fan base. I'm sure every team could get a good turnout for a bowl game within 30 mile sof campus

maybe not all teams, did you see the crowd at the CUSA championship game at MT.  It looked more like a group of people.  I was shocked at how small the crowd was for that game.

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

So in other words, ESPN cares more about eye balls TV's, regardless if it's a dead ass atmosphere at all of these games? Wouldn't it take away from the intrigue to watch the game if the stands are fanless? 

Honestly, I don’t give 2 shits about fan turnout when I choose to watch a bowl game. I look at matchup and if it’s worth watching. This is a really good matchup and will make for a helluva game to watch, IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Just now, meangreenJW said:

And some of the primary "bitchers" literally said last year that they hated going to NOLA vs Troy. And the NM bowl vs colorado state would have been so much better. The very same people are on here complaining about the NM bowl this year. If you want the power to select "your" bowl, a fan can do that. There will be plenty of tickets available at the DFW bowls for fans that don't wish to travel.

People are bitching like last year because it's a very similar situation. A bowl game 8/9 hours away vs a no name opponent that is better than us. It's easy to take a 3 TD pounding from Minnesota or FSU or even Boise. It's a tough pill to swallow when you're getting thumped (hopefully not) 2 years in a row by teams most people don't even know where their geographical location.  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

I can make the NOLA drive in 6.5 hours from Dallas.  I was happy about the bowl selection last year (even though I couldn't go).  For Albuquerque, as others have pointed out, from Dallas, it's either drive 10 hours or fly and pay a boat load because the game is in two weeks.  It is what it is.  We're going to have to accept that most fans will be watching from their coaches because of the poor geographic placement of this bowl.

I am just happy we got a bowl invitation!

Take the bowls when you can get them, regardless of who the opponent will be.

We did not win our west division.

We did not win our conference.

Not ranked.

And - possibly we may be losing our coach.

And - possibly lose our record setting QB

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

1 minute ago, Got5onIt said:

Honestly, I don’t give 2 shits about fan turnout when I choose to watch a bowl game. I look at matchup and if it’s worth watching. This is a really good matchup and will make for a helluva game to watch, IMO. 

Oh I really don't care either. But I am sure some people would. Especially if they're a casual fan of college football and see a raucous UNT fan base going wild in the stands in Dallas vs Boise. The person flipping channels might stop there and say to themselves damn UNT got it going. Or they'll flip on UNT in New Mexico and be like what the hell, and keep flipping channels. Or, I'm just venting that I don't want to drive to New Mexico. Or, all 3.  

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

People are bitching like last year because it's a very similar situation. A bowl game 8/9 hours away vs a no name opponent that is better than us. It's easy to take a 3 TD pounding from Minnesota or FSU or even Boise. It's a tough pill to swallow when you're getting thumped (hopefully not) 2 years in a row by teams most people don't even know where their geographical location.  

The word "Utah" in Utah State" is the first clue regarding their location.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Man, the anointing of bitching in this thread is hilarious. What bowl did people think we “deserved”? We didn’t win division, we didn’t win conference, yet we still get to play a great, ranked team from the MWC. Yeah, travel sucks a little bit because of how close it is to the announced date, but CUSA doesn’t exactly have the most awesome bowl tie-ins.

I’m glad we’re playing a recognizable opponent with a great record, within a fairly reasonable drive. 

Have to agree with Snowy on this one.  Furthermore, after the ODU loss and subsequent downward trend in some of the later games this season, I’m not surprised that the New Mexico Bowl is the best we could do.  I personally think the New Mexico Bowl is better than the joke in Frisco.  And USU is ranked in the top 25.  We need to bring our A game.

And I don’t think it’s right to dogpile on Wren Baker.  He’s done a lot for our University’s Athletic Dept.  And I might add, we have a coaching situation that is not settled yet.

• Lovely Take 2

9 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

7 players on the USU roster are from Texas.

Players leaving the state to play at USU mostly likely weren't considered good enough to contribute at  Big 12 Texas schools or Texas A&M.   Now those evaluations might have been wrong but I seriously doubt any of those guys would have been a fit at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1